Delicia

Getting Senator intervention

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Anyone have experience with Senator intervention? Do the Senators typically make you wait until your 6 months are up at USCIS before they will do an inquiry on your case?

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Anyone have experience with Senator intervention? Do the Senators typically make you wait until your 6 months are up at USCIS before they will do an inquiry on your case?

i tried both and got no where with either one of them

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Delicia,

I would assume that you have to be over the 6 month time frame in order to request assistance, unless you are requesting your file to be expedited.

I am of the opinion that there is no harm in requesting a Senator's assistance on matters. If the worst that happens is that they say there is nothing that they can do right now, than that isn't so bad. It's not hurting your case. I would fill out the request form and see what happens. You're at month 5 right now - you're gonna be at 6 months soon.

If you're in Arizona, you can look for the link to their constituency services here:

http://mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?...rvices.Casework

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

im sorry i am looking at my last post it sounded really rude...........

its ok to request their help but it depends on what district u live in......the reason i say that is because i called the wrong congressman........got loads of help until they figured out i was not in their voting district.........so they faxed everything to the proper congressman and he turned out to be someone that just gives u the phone number of ins or what ever its called and explains that that he can not do anything for me other than what i am doing already lol......

there are some great congressman out there that really want to help and i hope that u have one that is like that........ :)

and really im sorry about my earlier post that was just not nice

sara

Timeline
im sorry i am looking at my last post it sounded really rude...........

its ok to request their help but it depends on what district u live in......the reason i say that is because i called the wrong congressman........got loads of help until they figured out i was not in their voting district.........so they faxed everything to the proper congressman and he turned out to be someone that just gives u the phone number of ins or what ever its called and explains that that he can not do anything for me other than what i am doing already lol......

there are some great congressman out there that really want to help and i hope that u have one that is like that........ :)

and really im sorry about my earlier post that was just not nice

sara

Didn't think it was rude at all. You were just explaining the you didn't get any results. Nothing rude about that. Anywhooo, people like politicians as much as lawyers. . . . . we wouldn't have thought poorly of you even if it was rude. :blush:

Timeline

I have already been in touch with Sen Kyl's office, who responded personally to me after my 2nd email to him regarding immigration reform. I have also talked to his aide who handles immigration matters. Kyl is on the Senate Judiciary sub-committee on Immigration which oversees USCIS. McCain's office never called or emailed me back, so forget him. I think I will call Kyl's immigration aide and see if he can start the ball rolling now or if he procedurally has to wait another 3 weeks until my 6 months is up.

My blog

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I used my senators office and it was great!! No waiting. Just make sure you have everything filled out before you walk in. They will mail your case for you. I believe they saved us time and knew what they were talking about. LOVE IT!!

call and make an appointment you have nothing to loss! :)

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

So, I called the Senator's office today and spoke the the immigration 'guru' there. I was basically shot down in a flaming wreck. The aide in formed me that I could request a 'Congressional inquiry' however, since my application is still within USCIS posted time lines, the inquiry would more than likely end up with a response that it was still within posted processing times. According to the aide, I should just wait until my application date is after the posted processing date, which now, is only at Sept 5. This makes me very sad.

Go figure... I went to lunch with a co worker today at a Chinese place. My fortune from the cookie reads: "Good news will come to you by mail." So, naturally, there are only 2 things that I would consider 'good' that could end up in my mailbox (either electronically or paper) and that is that my I-130 is approved or that I have won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Lottery for a gaZillion dollars. My mail box was empty today and the only thing in my email was an advertisement that there is a shoe sale somewhere. Blah!

My blog

Timeline

The liaisons are there for when you are being mistreated, something is wrong or lost, or outside the normal response times. They cannot speed things up for you unless it is a true emergency, and then they will help you "request" and expedite. When it comes to processing forms at USCIS though, you have a lot more waiting to look forward to. . .If you're doing an I-130 your petition will spend months at NVC even after being approved.

It is a marathon, a long marathon. Be patient. The time will come.

Timeline
So, I called the Senator's office today and spoke the the immigration 'guru' there. I was basically shot down in a flaming wreck. The aide in formed me that I could request a 'Congressional inquiry' however, since my application is still within USCIS posted time lines, the inquiry would more than likely end up with a response that it was still within posted processing times. According to the aide, I should just wait until my application date is after the posted processing date, which now, is only at Sept 5. This makes me very sad.

Go figure... I went to lunch with a co worker today at a Chinese place. My fortune from the cookie reads: "Good news will come to you by mail." So, naturally, there are only 2 things that I would consider 'good' that could end up in my mailbox (either electronically or paper) and that is that my I-130 is approved or that I have won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Lottery for a gaZillion dollars. My mail box was empty today and the only thing in my email was an advertisement that there is a shoe sale somewhere. Blah!

Its so aggravating that even Senators think waiting 6 months to open the mail and read a few documents is acceptable. :angry: I feel your frustration. We had our approval about 5 days before our monday six month USCIS anniversary. Hope yours is on the way shortly, and sooner than 6 months.

Timeline
The liaisons are there for when you are being mistreated, something is wrong or lost, or outside the normal response times. They cannot speed things up for you unless it is a true emergency, and then they will help you "request" and expedite. When it comes to processing forms at USCIS though, you have a lot more waiting to look forward to. . .If you're doing an I-130 your petition will spend months at NVC even after being approved.

Actually, you are not quite correct. I was not looking to 'speed' things up and Congress members have the ability to make inquiries into your petition and USCIS is required to respond to their inquiries. They are not just for use when things are 'lost' or people are 'mistreated.'

You certainly don't have to preach to the choir, I know all about 'waiting' for immigration, I have been waiting in one form or another since 2005 and I guess it was just a small drop in the bucket of time to have to wait over 100 days for a NOA-1.

Honestly, I am sorry for even bringing up the subject, wait.. I apologize for bringing up any subject on this particular forum.

My blog

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's a fair question Delicia. Those who don't know your story can't really understand. Don't let that stop you from finding the information you need!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think waiting over 100 days for an NOA1 does qualify for a Senatorial inquiry - that is too long.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Actually, you are not quite correct. I was not looking to 'speed' things up and Congress members have the ability to make inquiries into your petition and USCIS is required to respond to their inquiries. They are not just for use when things are 'lost' or people are 'mistreated.'

You certainly don't have to preach to the choir, I know all about 'waiting' for immigration, I have been waiting in one form or another since 2005 and I guess it was just a small drop in the bucket of time to have to wait over 100 days for a NOA-1.

Honestly, I am sorry for even bringing up the subject, wait.. I apologize for bringing up any subject on this particular forum.

I wasn't trying to be rude, nor was I chastising you for posting.

I have read your story. I agree that you have waited a long time, but two years of your wait was because of Canadian Immigration, not because of U.S. Immigration. I understand waiting a long time. TRUST ME.

I am not trying to be rude. I'm just saying, there is a lot of processing yet to go through. The I-130 is only the beginning, then NVC, then waiting for the interview date itself. . . .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

if one rep doesnt work try them all, some deal better with immigration some dont. They do come in handy to help get answers we cant but you just need contact the right one and keep trying

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.