CBR

Canada birth cert. HELP!!

43 posts in this topic

I'm really confused. If you're the beneficiary of the petition you don't need your birth certificate until way later (although if it's vermont you're filing through it could be mighty quick!). The USC submits the petition (i-129f) and they have to send a certified copy of their birth certificate to prove their citizenship.

If you are a US citizen but not born here I'm not positive, but don't you just have to submit the document that proves your citizenship? (as the birth cert does)

If you're a US citizen and born here then you wouldn't be requesting a birth certificate from NZ so that can't be the case lol.

lol...I am really confused myself! :blink:

I am the beneficiary, a Canadian with permanent residency in NZ. My fiancee is the USC. Born there.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry, are you talking about filing your I-129f? You don't need a long form birth certificate just to file that. What you need it for is the interview stage, which is much later in the process after filing the 129f.

Or did I read you wrong?

No ..you read me right. You mean I don't need that to file?!?

Correct. We certainly didn't have one. We just ordered ours for our interview last week; and we filed our I-129f last July. Sounds like you can go ahead and file provided your stuff is otherwise together.

I'm really confused. If you're the beneficiary of the petition you don't need your birth certificate until way later (although if it's vermont you're filing through it could be mighty quick!). The USC submits the petition (i-129f) and they have to send a certified copy of their birth certificate to prove their citizenship.

The USC doesn't have to provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. I (the USC) only submitted a photocopy of my original.

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Sorry, are you talking about filing your I-129f? You don't need a long form birth certificate just to file that. What you need it for is the interview stage, which is much later in the process after filing the 129f.

Or did I read you wrong?

No ..you read me right. You mean I don't need that to file?!?

Correct. We certainly didn't have one. We just ordered ours for our interview last week; and we filed our I-129f last July. Sounds like you can go ahead and file provided your stuff is otherwise together.

The USC doesn't have to provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. I (the USC) only submitted a photocopy of my original.

Oh wonderful! Thanks so much for the info! :D We file at once!

I hope Vermont carries on the way it has been :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh wonderful! Thanks so much for the info! :D We file at once!

I hope Vermont carries on the way it has been :dance:

Woohoo! That's excited. :D

And yeah, Vermont's been rockin lately, so you are lucky. You'll probably have your interview about the same time CBR and myself do...

*sigh*

(That's a bash at Montreal, not you, in case you weren't sure.)

K1

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

I'm confused. Why does he need more than one? And you already have one, so whether they say it's obsolete or not, it won't indicate that on the one he has right now anyway. I never had to give "originals" to anyone before. Not even certified copies. I just made regular photocopies of things, and brought the "certified copies" to show at the interview. Then they gave me the "certified copies" back. Did you already send the only certified copy he has in? If so, ask for it back at the interview.

Just reread the posts here, and wondering if there isn't a raised seal, if it says anywhere that it's certified. Can't imagine anything being sent for any money from the registry isn't certified.

Is this a question of photocopying as well? It's not the lady at your courthouses business what the heck you want to photocopy anyway. :lol:

Best of luck!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm confused. Why does he need more than one? And you already have one, so whether they say it's obsolete or not, it won't indicate that on the one he has right now anyway. I never had to give "originals" to anyone before. Not even certified copies. I just made regular photocopies of things, and brought the "certified copies" to show at the interview. Then they gave me the "certified copies" back. Did you already send the only certified copy he has in? If so, ask for it back at the interview.

Just reread the posts here, and wondering if there isn't a raised seal, if it says anywhere that it's certified. Can't imagine anything being sent for any money from the registry isn't certified.

Is this a question of photocopying as well? It's not the lady at your courthouses business what the heck you want to photocopy anyway. :lol:

Best of luck!

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

He needs more than one because he'll need one for our marriage license, ssn, driver's license (possibly) and who knows what else. His mom won't give up her copy. Viola 2 copies needed.

No, he didn't send his (her) only certified copy in yet.

The way the instructions for the checklist in packet 3 are written it really sounds like they want you to send all that stuff in immediately. That's why we thought we had to send a certified copy. A very kind VJ member (you know who you are ;) ) has cleared this up for me and we are going to be sending just the signed checklist and the 2 forms they ask for. Then later we will send copies of the other stuff when that birth cert comes in the mail (15 working days). Sure beats waiting 3 weeks to send packet 3 back, ugh!

And as for that courthouse lady lol. I believe she meant that photocopying a certified copy and trying to pass it off as certified is illegal. That's the way I took it anyway. And the raised seal seemed awfully important to her. His shortform does say that it's certified and I would hope that would satisfy her, but you never know with these government people. They only know their own way of doing things and nothing else is acceptable. :rolleyes:

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

;)

Remember CBR, you don't have to mail any copies of the stuff on the check list into Montreal.

He takes them with him to the interview. There is no mailing copies in.

As per package 3 instructions:

STEP ONE: Mail them the DS230 Part 1, Two copies of the Electronically filled in DS156 and the completed check list, showing that he has all the documents ready with him to take to the interview.

He DOES NOT mail in the copies of all the required documents on the check list into Montreal...he simply checks them off on the check list, showing them he is ready.

Getting the long form birth certificate is so easy in Ontario, love.

He should get it in like 3 to 5 business days. Mine came in 2 days!

Click Here

He can order it online.

He should order a replacement one, long form.

Best of luck hon!! :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

and also, When he hands over his long form birth certificate at the interview, I don't think they will be keeping it, they more than likely will give that back to him right at the interview...so you can use it for other things....

Don't stress hon.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

It's all good now. Thanks so much for all that. We feel better lol.

*whew* glad you got it all figured out sweets!!! :star:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I am beside myself this morning over this long form birth certificate thing.

I applied on January 23rd and the online status checking page has never updated for me. A kind person from this forum rang them on my behalf, as I am in NZ, and found out that as it is a request from overseas a supervisor would have to sign it but they did have my request and it was being worked on.

I rang them myself Friday, and was told that as the request was over two months old the would submit an inquiry and to ring back today.

This morning I was told that as I live in New Zealand, I require a guarantor. I know that, and I sent her info with the request back in January, by fax.

They give you a list of occupations your guarantor must come from, and they must also be a Canadian citizen. Pretty hard to come by in Auckland :(

If your guarantor is not on the list, you have to give the occupation they do have and an explanation. I did that as well.

Now this morning I am told that if the guarantor isn't on the list, I have to supply the details of a NZ citizen that IS. I can use my Doctor, and get him to sign a letter stating that he knows me. Fine.

My issue is..in spite of having three telephone numbers, and email and snail mail address, NO one from the RG office thought to tell me this. So I have been sitting here waiting on the last bit of paper I need to assemble before we can file our application and it isn't coming. He apologized up one side and down the other for what he termed their failure to communicate, they have no email as it is closed to the public but frankly what good does that do me now?

After I fax this off to them today.....it will take a further 6 weeks to process...and THEN they mail it out to me. THEN I send it off to my fiancee and THEN he gets to file...this means we aren't going to be able to file for nearly three more months.

:unsure:

I am still in limbo waiting...but the online check your status page has finally changed. I am not at all sure what the message means though...and as it is Sunday here I will have to wait until Tuesday to ring and be 40th in the queue again :(

Anyone care to try and interpret?

The Office of the Registrar General found a match for your request based on the information you provided:

We received your application for Online Service on January 23, 2008.

Your application is still under review, please contact the ORG for more information.

Please remember that a certificate can only be issued for a registered event.

If you have any questions about your certificate, please contact the Office of the Registrar General at:

1-800-461-2156

or

416-325-8305

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure if this was answered as I didn't read through all three pages of this thread, but it's super easy to get your long form and short form birth certificates from Canada online. Here's the link:

http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/...en?docid=121591

On the middle of this page you will find "Apply for birth, marriage or death certificate". Just click on that and enter your info. You will need to have a guarantor's information to get the birth certificate that can arrive in just days after applying. You determine how quickly it can be sent. Your guarantor has to be a doctor, dentist or professional of some sort who is licensed with the province (such as a professional engineer). I just used my doctor. They had to have known your wife for at least 2 years I believe.

There shouldn't be an issue about requesting another birth certificate as I've done this several times. Once I lost my son's birth certificate, the second time was for US immigration purposes. And just so you know, at least with the US immigration process, your wife will receive all original documents at her interview in Montreal. If she notices something missing from what they hand back to her, just have her tell the person that she wants such and such document. That's what happened to me. The guy gave me everything but the addendum to my son's support paperwork. I asked and he looked and saw the document and readily gave it back. It was just an oversight on his part, so ensure your wife remembers to check that she got everything once her interview is complete with the consulate officer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.