mobilealien

K3 visa - Country of marriage not spouse country of residence

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a US Citizen (USC) who married a Canadian Citizen in India 2 years back. Can the USC file for K3 visa for Canadian citizen and include a letter to immigration officer to send k3 visa to spouse country of residence (Canada) instead of India? Has anyone come across such an issue, any advice appriciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
If your spouse is Canadian citizen and she is residing there at the time, I think that it does not matter where the marriage took place.

sorry the life act says k3 visa must be issued where the marriage took place, but u can try ur luck

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
If your spouse is Canadian citizen and she is residing there at the time, I think that it does not matter where the marriage took place.

sorry the life act says k3 visa must be issued where the marriage took place, but u can try ur luck

My wife and I were married in the US but we filed her K3 and interview in her home country. It is a bit confusing but you interview in your spouse country of residence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know a couple who got married in the Dominican Republic. Filed for K3 and they had to have their interview there even though neither one of them is a citizen of that country nor lived there.

You should call the USCIS to find out exactly.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My wife and I were married in the US but we filed her K3 and interview in her home country. It is a bit confusing but you interview in your spouse country of residence.

K3 applicants who married in the USA, interview in their country of residence because they logistically cannot interview for a visa to enter the US, when they are already in the US. Your case fit that rule.

When the marriage took place abroad, K3 applicants interview in the country the marriage took place.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

hi,

my wife and i got married in vegas 7-21-07.. i plan on filing for a k3 visa once i am naturalized. My interview is on 4-05-08. After we got married my wife came back to MD w/ me and overstayed her visa by one day, and then she went back to korea. Is this going to be a problem for me when i file for the k-3 visa ??

Timeline
hi,

my wife and i got married in vegas 7-21-07.. i plan on filing for a k3 visa once i am naturalized. My interview is on 4-05-08. After we got married my wife came back to MD w/ me and overstayed her visa by one day, and then she went back to korea. Is this going to be a problem for me when i file for the k-3 visa ??

Probably not but she will interview in Korea.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doing these papers have been so hard and difficult. The FAQ and Guides help a little but not enough. I'm on a US Naval Base in Guantanmo Bay. I have to send the petition (I-130 and G325a) to the US Embassy in Jamaica Kingston for the USCIS part. My wife is in Philippines.

My wife and I got married in Dubai UAE.

I'm reading and understand what everyone is saying that my wife will have to go to UAE just for an interview. Why does she have travel to UAE that is so far for an interview? Does she have to stay only for the interview or will she need to wait for the visa also? How long will she have to stay in UAE?

What do I put on line 22? If we were married in Dubai?

Line 22 on the I130 petition seems to give me a choice but it doesnt say anything about where we got married. On this line 22 do I have to put Dubai UAE or can I put Manila Philippines? Or can she do the interview in Dubai then go back to Philippines to pick up the visa? Ack! :wacko:

Line 22: If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:.

Filed: Other Timeline
How will we be notified about the K3 visa interview date & in which city in India it will take place? Can the interview & visa issuance process be completed in a week?

Why not just skip the K3 altogether and just do the CR1 in Canada? Much easier, and no reason to travel to India. And less paperwork. The CR1 interview takes place in the beneficiary's country of legal residence, no matter where they got married.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Doing these papers have been so hard and difficult. The FAQ and Guides help a little but not enough. I'm on a US Naval Base in Guantanmo Bay. I have to send the petition (I-130 and G325a) to the US Embassy in Jamaica Kingston for the USCIS part. My wife is in Philippines.

I'm reading and understand what everyone is saying that my wife will have to go to UAE just for an interview. Why does she have travel to UAE that is so far for an interview? Does she have to stay only for the interview or will she need to wait for the visa also? How long will she have to stay in UAE?

Line 22 on the I130 petition seems to give me a choice but it doesnt say anything about where we got married. On this line 22 do I have to put Dubai UAE or can I put Manila Philippines? Or can she do the interview in Dubai then go back to Philippines to pick up the visa? Ack! :wacko:

Line 22: If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:.

Your raise very different issues. Perhaps an organizer will separate your subject to a new thread.

First, since your wife is in the PI, you don't file your I-130 or your I-129F with a Consulate. You mail it to the Chicago lockbox for processing stateside. Did you receive some sort of special instructions for a military expedite. To file with a Consulate directly, you and your wife must be living together in the same country. Even then Direct Consular Filing doesn't apply to K3.

Ony your I-130 you would state your spouse will apply for a visa in Manila. If you do subsequently file an I-129F for a K3 visa, then the visa application and interview would occur in the UAE, because that's the law.

If you only file an I-130, it would be for a CR1 visa, not K3 and the interview and visa issue would be in Manila.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Your raise very different issues. Perhaps an organizer will separate your subject to a new thread.

First, since your wife is in the PI, you don't file your I-130 or your I-129F with a Consulate. You mail it to the Chicago lockbox for processing stateside. Did you receive some sort of special instructions for a military expedite. To file with a Consulate directly, you and your wife must be living together in the same country. Even then Direct Consular Filing doesn't apply to K3.

Ony your I-130 you would state your spouse will apply for a visa in Manila. If you do subsequently file an I-129F for a K3 visa, then the visa application and interview would occur in the UAE, because that's the law.

If you only file an I-130, it would be for a CR1 visa, not K3 and the interview and visa issue would be in Manila.

I'm a civilian working overseas, not military. The US Interest Section in Havana said send my petition to the U.S. Embassy in Jamaica. I'm looking into the DCF because my circumstance/place of work might be considered.

Oh Cool I understand you now. CR1 is for Manila and I-129F (K3) is for UAE.

Edited by pat75

Timeline

I'm a civilian working overseas, not military. The US Interest Section in Havana said send my petition to the U.S. Embassy in Jamaica. I'm looking into the DCF because my circumstance/place of work might be considered.

You still cannot file DCF. Both husband and wife must live abroad in the same country to file DCF. You will need to mail you petition to the Chicago lock box.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

You still cannot file DCF. Both husband and wife must live abroad in the same country to file DCF. You will need to mail you petition to the Chicago lock box.

I spoke to an officer at USCIS. We are both right. I can send it to Chicago lock box or through the US Embassy in Jamaica.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.