sense1

Document translations cost?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I have just received an email from my fiancé in Russia. Here are the details about the documents that she wants for her visa interview(which is not scheduled yet):

1. That she has had no previous conviction.

2. That she lives in her city.

3. That she has used only one name.

4. That she has permission to take her son from his father.

5. Her son’s certificate of citizenship (It is enclosed in her foreign passport).

6. Her Russian passport.

7. Her foreign passport.

8. Her tax ID number.

9. Her son’s tax ID number.

10. Reference about her wages.

11. Reference from her work.

12. Her son’s birth certificate. (her son will be coming to America too)

13. Her birth certificate.

14. Her declaration of divorce.

15. Reference that she’s unmarried.

She said that she must have these documents apistled(stamped) and translated by a state agency in Ufa. The cost to have these translated into English is $450 and it takes 35 days to complete. Please tell me if this sounds correct?

Filed: Timeline
She said that she must have these documents apistled(stamped) and translated by a state agency in Ufa. The cost to have these translated into English is $450 and it takes 35 days to complete. Please tell me if this sounds correct?

Items 1, 4, 7, 12, 13, and 14 are the only items she needs. *None* of them need to be apistled, and none of them need to be translated except the police report, *unless* they are in a language other than Russian, and they are not in English.

In any case $450 sounds really high, even if you did need all that stuff. Like...REALLY high.

Here is a list of everything she needs to bring to the interview: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...cord_id=fiancee

Here is the same list in Russian: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...cord_id=fiancee

Here's a Russian translation of the PDF document linked in item 11 of the consulate list: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ost&id=6560

Edited by mox

Sounds like she's being "helped" by a fiancee agency over there and they're going to charge her (read: YOU!) $450 for their services which really end up being nothing more than them requesting everything from you.

Whatever she's doing... have her stop it right now (or at least use it only as an "advice" type service) and get your butt active here in the VJ Russia Forum.

This place is 100% free and we'll get you (and her) the right info, no "service fee" required. Unless of course, you want to send us some money. There was something about a "punch and pie" fund getting started up the other day so if you're interested you can PM me for my PayPal info. Be more than happy to set that up for you.

Seriously though, as mox said above, there are certain things she needs and certain things she doesn't. Either way, $450 should never come up again.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of you. Ask questions. Lots of them. And keep in mind you're probably going to get a whole hodge-podge of answers that you didn't even want. But, you'll get the ones you want to so just bear with us. GOOD LUCK!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Mox, I don't think you meant what you wrote......or am I just not reading and understanding well this morning?

You're certainly right that none of the documents needed in the K-1 process need an apostille. However, the divorce certificates and birth certificates certainly need to be translated into English. Basically, everything needs to be translated, although the translations do not require notarizations or apostilles. The only document that I don't remember for sure as needing translation is the police certificate.....though I would think it would also. Does the police certificate need to be translated?

And $450 is certainly ridiculously high for a few document translations.

Items 1, 4, 7, 12, 13, and 14 are the only items she needs. *None* of them need to be apistled, and none of them need to be translated except the police report, *unless* they are in a language other than Russian, and they are not in English.

In any case $450 sounds really high, even if you did need all that stuff. Like...REALLY high.

Here is a list of everything she needs to bring to the interview: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...cord_id=fiancee

Here is the same list in Russian: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...cord_id=fiancee

Here's a Russian translation of the PDF document linked in item 11 of the consulate list: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ost&id=6560

Mox, I don't think you meant what you wrote......or am I just not reading and understanding well this morning?

You're certainly right that none of the documents needed in the K-1 process need an apostille. However, the divorce certificates and birth certificates certainly need to be translated into English.

Yes, you're right. I blame lack of coffee. :unsure: Sorry about that. Just to be clear, here's the official word from the embassy:

Copies and translations of each document into English are required. Translations must be notarized only when the original is in a language OTHER than Russian. (e.g. a translation from Ukrainian into English must be notarized, translation from Russian into English does not need to be notarized).

To the OP, this is why you want to not pay us instead of paying someone else. When one of us makes a mistake, someone else will step in to correct. See...I was just...um...making that point is all. :D

Edited by mox

Timeline

All I can add is the support that $450, is not only high it, is off the scale! :wacko: Nor should it take 35 days.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

That was my initial reaction as well regarding the cost and time frame to translate these documents. I think sometimes she is too quick to spend too much money without doing any comparison shopping or research. Now, if only I can get her to understand this... Thank you all for the responses. I am getting smarter through this website:)

Timeline
That was my initial reaction as well regarding the cost and time frame to translate these documents. I think sometimes she is too quick to spend too much money without doing any comparison shopping or research. Now, if only I can get her to understand this... Thank you all for the responses. I am getting smarter through this website:)

What would be the average cost for translating these documents? I want to be able to tell her a price range and timeframe to try to attain.

What would be the average cost for translating these documents? I want to be able to tell her a price range and timeframe to try to attain.

I'd say that anything more than $10 per document is getting too expensive, and I'm pretty sure you could get someone to do it for much less than $10 per document if she looked hard enough.

Here's the thing with translations: it can be done by anyone who is capable of translating the document. It doesn't have to be done by someone "registered" or anything like that. If she lives near a university, she might be able to find a student willing to do it for super cheap. It's also likely that she has a friend or relative or co-worker who is versed well enough in English to do the translation. Getting it done for free is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Timeline

My Alla paid 120 rubles per document with apostille done in 24-48 hours.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife had to recently get a new birth certificate and apostille (just in case the NVC requires it) and a notarization, and it cost close to $50. I guess that was for 4 or 5 pages of documentation. So that was around $10 or a bit more per page but it was done at an English language school in Siberia. In the more remote areas it's harder to find good translators who will certify their work which is required by the NVC.

That sounded high but considering how fussy the NVC is, it was worth it to us.

Timeline

I can recommend an outstanding translator who is very reasonable if anyone needs it. I only needed the birth certificate translated but she was very prompt with it and the fee was something like $ 20.00 plus $ 5.00 for each extra copy I wanted. That included a well done translation (much more complete than the last I had from someone else at 3 times the price) and a certification.

I could be off a little on the price. It was so cheap I did not pay much attention.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Only police certificate must be notarized,the rest she can just translate herself and attach to the original one .In my case,at the interview they just asked for birth certificate and police record.thats all.

and also if you translate birth certificate at some company get 3 copies its cheaper,since you going to need 3 copies in this process.but again,she can translate it on her own!Only 2 documents should be notarized.

Probably in a small cities they charge more for translation,I would find online companies in moscow that do it,they notarize even if you just email them original one scanned.she could pick up then somehow there.Birth certificate costs around 300-500rubles...

Only police certificate must be notarized,the rest she can just translate herself and attach to the original one .In my case,at the interview they just asked for birth certificate and police record.thats all.

and also if you translate birth certificate at some company get 3 copies its cheaper,since you going to need 3 copies in this process.but again,she can translate it on her own!Only 2 documents should be notarized.

Probably in a small cities they charge more for translation,I would find online companies in moscow that do it,they notarize even if you just email them original one scanned.she could pick up then somehow there.Birth certificate costs around 300-500rubles...

According to the Moscow embassy, the police certificate does not have to be notarized:

Police certificate must contain references to each place (subject to the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation) in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since attaining the age of 16. This includes localities where applicants have lived during university studies. If the applicant was on military service, he/she should bring the certificate from the local draft board. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived. Police certificate validity is one year since the date of issuance.

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...cord_id=fiancee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.