Gulskjegg

Any Verification Letters From USCIS After Filing N-400?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After filing the I-751 mt wife was issued a letter extending her "green card" another year. Does USCIS send any kind of letter to the applicant stating naturalization is in process? Since her current letter of extension expires in May of 2008, and we have no gotten her 10-year green card, we have not proof she is "legal". I do hope USCIS sends something, anything, that will cover the gap.

Thanks in advance!

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
After filing the I-751 mt wife was issued a letter extending her "green card" another year. Does USCIS send any kind of letter to the applicant stating naturalization is in process? Since her current letter of extension expires in May of 2008, and we have no gotten her 10-year green card, we have not proof she is "legal". I do hope USCIS sends something, anything, that will cover the gap.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you will get an NOA stating that your application is processing. It will give you a date range to anticipate when your application will process and a priority date to measure this by. The second letter will be for biometrics.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Thanks in advance!

If you still don't get your 10yr GC in May I suggest that you do an INFOPASS and ask for an I-551 stamp in your wife's passport. Take this memo along to be sure that you get the stamp.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

Thanks for the replies, guys! From the timeline in the first response, we should expect some sort of letter within 2-3 months? Thats moving at lightspeed for USCIS.

As far as the green card issue, we have already come to an agreement with the local office to have her passport stamped. I will bring the memo so that we get a full year, not 3 or 6 months.

Thanks again guys.

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Extension of an extension memo form the "Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services" that is dated December 2, 2003 from an agency that doesn't even exist anymore. I was curious why some people had to surrender their I-551 green card that is the only real piece of paper that proves they cannot be deported, can't either travel or work with this card, but according to another USCIS statement, with it, you cannot be deported.

If you haven't done so, can check your case status on line at

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

by typing in your I-797C receipt number then check the processing dates at the service center where you sent your I-751 application, but is rumored that all applications from Nebraska have been moved to California, and all applications from Texas moved to Vermont. I say rumor because was told this by my senator's office, but read nothing official about this anywhere on the USCIS site and other board members reported even their field officers have not heard about this move. You can also dial that 1-800-375-5283, listen very carefully, and check your case status on the phone by keying in your receipt number and listen to the same thing you read on the web. Our case is still in Nebraska according to both the web and the phone case status.

The reason why this is important is because if the processing date listed precedes your application date, you can't do anything, in our case, Nebraska lists that July 05, 2006 date, but if our application is in California with a September 17, 2007 processing date, and our application date is March 27. 2007, I have reason to make an inquiry with California, but not if our case is still in Nebraska.

A valid reason for making an infopass appointment is with the I-797C one year extension of the expiration date on your I-551 PRC expires, you have reason to get that I-551 stamp in your valid foreign passport, it's my understanding to get both travel and work authorization. If your passport is expired, meaning the immigrant in this case, not exactly sure if you have to bring in one or two current passport type photos. The precise date to make this infopass appointment is also unclear, some have gotten the stamp 30 days ahead of the expiration date with the extension, while others were told to come back to their assigned field office after their expired date. This seems to be too late to me.

I was in a state of shock when I learned my wife and daughter only got a two year green card after everything we went through to get that, both her country and mine, (the USA State of Illinois) screwed up on dates on important documents and we had to pay dearly for court costs to get their mistakes corrected. Second shock was getting that one year extension when the I-751 stated to allow 90 days, and the third shock is waiting and receiving no word at all with the confusion as to exactly where our application is at this time. I have contacted my senator, congressman, and filled out and sent that Ombudsman form.

When I met my wife over five years ago, we fell deeply in love, and it has been one government test after the other, took one at a time, and so far, everything worked out, we are still deeply in love, and feel that our God made us for each other. But have to admit, the incompetence we ran into is a major cause of stress, this has been going on for five years now.

With that major immigration law back in 1986 limiting the number of immigrants but permitting an unlimited amount with marriage, maybe there was fraud, claimed over two million such cases, but in 1988, they did far more extensive background checks plus adding the I-751, the background cases reduced the number of applicants to about 140,000 per year, and we were certainly checked and double checked before we got that green card. And then to have to go through all that again with the I-751 doesn't really seem justified and we are guilty until we prove ourselves innocent, that doesn't seem right either.

Timeline

I'm totally in agreement. I told my wife the other day that we would probably be millionaires were it not for us standing around twiddling our thumbs, waiting for USCIS to give us final and permanent freedom. In this case, an American passport for my wife. It is, as you say, a "guilty till proven innocent" scenario and most likely in violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution guaranteeing freedom to associate, and the 5th Amendment right to travel freely.

Lets face it, we live in a dictatorship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.