Jaffy

Removing conditional and divorced

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I see that most of you have applied for the removal of conditional but you are all still married. I have to apply for the removal of my conditional on my own because I got divorced due to abuse, verbal, economical and so on. I was in a shelter for abused women and children for three months and also have restraining orders. Aside from that I don't have any other police reports.

I have the lease under both of our names, bank statements, tax returns but what else aside from the things I've just mentioned do I need to prove that I got married in good faith and I got divorced due to the abuse I was going thru.

Should I file just under separate or under abused?

Thanks,

Married: October 24, 2005

AOS/EAD:

03/08/2006: Sent in the mail.

03/18/2006: NOA1

03/24/2006: Received appoitment for Biometrics

04/09/2006: Went for Biometrics.

05/08/2006: Received letter with appointment for interview.

05/30/2006: Received EAD card (finally could work).

06/18/2006: Interview and passport stamped APPROVED!

End of June: Received Green Card.

05/20/2007: Divorced!!!!!!! but in a lot of debt.

Removal of conditional

05/12/2008: Sent I-751.

05/14/2008: Received at the VSC.

06/05/2008: Check cashed.

06/11/2008: Received NOA1. Extension for a year.

06/17/2008: Received letter for Biometrics for 7/1/08.

07/10/2009: Received email: Case Status: Card Production Ordered

Two more years for citizenship!

Application for Naturalization

04/05/2011: Sent N-400

04/20/2011: Received NOA

04/22/2011: Received appoinment for fingerprints

05/16/2011: Fingerprints done, studying for test

You file your I-751 with a waiver for reason of being divorced. Aside from the proof of co-ownership of assets while the marriage existed, you will attach a copy of your divorce decree. I believe some VJers who also filed a waiver included a letter explaining the reason why the marriage ended.

Good luck and hope your I-751 process will be smooth and quick.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

You file your I-751 with a waiver for reason of being divorced. Aside from the proof of co-ownership of assets while the marriage existed, you will attach a copy of your divorce decree. I believe some VJers who also filed a waiver included a letter explaining the reason why the marriage ended.

Good luck and hope your I-751 process will be smooth and quick.

Thanks for your prompt response. So I should file just as divorced and not as battered/abused? Awsome!

Aside from the joint lease, car insurance, bank statements, and taxes I will include the divorce decree (which doesn't have written anywhere that it was because of abuse, plus he never showed to court) and I will add the list with the amount of consolidated credit cards, letter from the shelter and restraining orders. Do you think that will be enough aside from affidavits from whom used to be our landlord, my best friend, and my aunt?

Thanks again,

AOS/EAD:

Removal of conditional

Filed: Timeline

In my opinion it would strengthen your case if you apply under the battered/abused category. for a waiver from joint filing requirement. The instructions for I-751 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf) lists the extra evidence required for that. Seems like you should have all that since you had a restraining order, were in a shelter, and also have a divorce. Good luck.

From the instructions...

If you are filing to waive the joint filing requirementbecause you and/or your conditional resident child werebattered or subjected to extreme cruelty, also file yourpetition with the following:

A. Evidence of the physical abuse, such as copies of reports or official records issued by police, judges, medical personnel, school officials and representatives of social service agencies, and original affidavits as described under Evidence of the Relationship; or

B. Evidence of the abuse, such as copies of reports or official records issued by police, courts, medical personnel, school officials, clergy, social workers and other social service agency personnel. You may also submit any legal documents relating to an order of protection against the abuser or relating to any legal steps you may have taken to end the abuse. You may also submit evidence that you sought safe haven in a battered women's shelter or similar refuge, as well as photographs evidencing your injuries.

C. A copy of your divorce decree, if your marriage was terminated by divorce on grounds of physical abuse or extreme cruelty.

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/05/08 Check cashed by Californice Service Center not Nebraska!

03/07/08 Got NOA1 Dated 02/27/08

03/15/08 Biometrics Letter rec'd

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

06/03/08 Got Approval Email

06/10/08 Gr. Card Received!

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice, only an opinion.

Filed: Timeline
In my opinion it would strengthen your case if you apply under the battered/abused category. for a waiver from joint filing requirement. The instructions for I-751 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf) lists the extra evidence required for that. Seems like you should have all that since you had a restraining order, were in a shelter, and also have a divorce. Good luck.

From the instructions...

If you are filing to waive the joint filing requirementbecause you and/or your conditional resident child werebattered or subjected to extreme cruelty, also file yourpetition with the following:

A. Evidence of the physical abuse, such as copies of reports or official records issued by police, judges, medical personnel, school officials and representatives of social service agencies, and original affidavits as described under Evidence of the Relationship; or

B. Evidence of the abuse, such as copies of reports or official records issued by police, courts, medical personnel, school officials, clergy, social workers and other social service agency personnel. You may also submit any legal documents relating to an order of protection against the abuser or relating to any legal steps you may have taken to end the abuse. You may also submit evidence that you sought safe haven in a battered women's shelter or similar refuge, as well as photographs evidencing your injuries.

C. A copy of your divorce decree, if your marriage was terminated by divorce on grounds of physical abuse or extreme cruelty.

An alien can file the I-751 alone under any and all of the grounds applicable. OP, have you already submitted your I-751?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

From the instructions...

An alien can file the I-751 alone under any and all of the grounds applicable. OP, have you already submitted your I-751?

I still haven't sent in the paperwork, my GC expires on June 18. I am currently gathering information to submit and also affidavits. Hopefully I send this at the beginning of April. What you are saying is that I can mark both divorced and abused/battered? That would be great.

What I am afraid is that since I don't have any police reports or pictures of abuse it might not go thru under abused. But I was in the shelter plus I have prove of all the economic harship I'm in due to his spending sprees with my credit cards, plus the diary that I kept and sent to the psychologist from a shelter while still being with him.

AOS/EAD:

Removal of conditional

I had to do the same thing not so long ago, and sent my waiver of joint application on the grounds of good faith marriage that ended in divorce, but also on the grounds of abuse. I felt it would strengthen my case enormously if I had the opportunity to tell USCIS why I left the marriage. I also wasn't going to 'cover' for my ex anymore as I had done for a long time, and felt it was my right to explain and reveal why I left as well. So from my standpoint it was a moral as well as a 'strengthening' choice.

I'm not worried, becuse why? I had my biometrics just this past weekend. If they want to interview me, that's fine by me - I have nothing to hide here. I submitted all the evidence I had, including the restraining order, the police reports (both of them), psychologist and chiroprachter records and if that isn't enough (along with a detailed explanation) I don't know what is.

I hope everything will be fine for you! Just submit what they want and be confident that the truth will prevail, because most of the time, it will.

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.