Mia Clakre

Question About Packet 3/DS-156k

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I recently received Packet 3 from the London Embassy. Yay!

I have been asked to fill in and send DS-230 PART 1, DS-156, DS-156K.

However, at the bottom of DS-156K it says to attach the full birth certificate, police report, evidence of engagement, and evidence of financial support.

I was under the impression that I only bring these documents to the interview? Or do I attach photocopies now? I'm still waiting for my report and my co-sponsor's affidavit...it will be probably take about 14 days. Is that a reasonable amount of time between receiving and returning the packet?

Also, does anyone know whether I just can just attach our co-sponsor's affidavit, or should i also include my fiance's? (he doesn't have any money and taxes show $10,000, but we were advised that he fill out the I-134 too.)

One other thing: I have a (basically useless) lawyer who prepared the DS-156 for me, but he told me to sign it and send it back to him. Which I did. But now I have the packet I see it states clearly in bold text that this form NOT be signed. Do you think I should go ahead and fill in/send the forms myself to prevent these kinds of slip-ups happening, or would it look odd to have had a lawyer prepare some earlier forms and not others?

A lot of questions, I know. But I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any insight and advice that could be helpful.

Thanks so much,

Mia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey!

I totally feel your pain... My fiance just sent packet 3 back with the required forms and checklist a week ago, and it was VERY confusing. First of all, the form you have to do online electronically (DS156) says on the form AND on the website TO sign...which my fiance did... and then after sending it to consulate we realized checklist said to NOT sign it and do it in duplicate, so he had to redo the form and send it in again unsigned. At first glance of the checklist, you think the DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM is referring to the DS156K, which clearly says on the form to NOT sign. If that's the one you say is asking to attach all of the stuff (affadavit, birth cert., etc.) to it, I wouldn't worry about it... because obviously that form will need to be signed AT the consulate at interview, and I'm sure the consulate officer will attach the information you bring to the embassy when you go for interview at that time.

I wish they would make that checklist a little more cohesive with what the forms say!!!

Hope I helped.

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much! That helps clear things up for me. I'll send the duplicate 156 form unsigned myself, hopefully it won't matter too much if our lawyer has already sent the signed one...

& I'll leave the documents they ask for until the interview.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.