Kathryn41

From the Adjudicator's Field Manual

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I came across this, this evening, and found it a useful refererence. One item of note -the field manual states that USCIS is supposed to try their best to notify individuals who have conditional residence 90 days before their status expires that they need to file to remove conditions. Well, that is one requirement they obviously haven't tried very hard to meet! It does explain the confusion that some people have remembering being told they will receive a notice and then not receiving one. Anyway, it was interesting reading:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...8ce159d286150e2

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
I came across this, this evening, and found it a useful refererence. One item of note -the field manual states that USCIS is supposed to try their best to notify individuals who have conditional residence 90 days before their status expires that they need to file to remove conditions. Well, that is one requirement they obviously haven't tried very hard to meet! It does explain the confusion that some people have remembering being told they will receive a notice and then not receiving one. Anyway, it was interesting reading:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...8ce159d286150e2

To cover some bases, they do inform the applicant at or after the adjustment of status interview, or with the actual card, if memory serves me well.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

yes, they are supposed to notify the AOS recipient either in writing or in person that they need to file to remove the conditions in 2 years - plus, according to the manual, they are also supposed to attempt to contact the individual again 90 days before the green card expires, so there are supposed to be two notifications in all. Also of interest is that they will allow the applicant up to 60 days after the green card expires to submit the I-751, although not having a good reason for filing late will pretty well guarantee an interview (the determining factors for interviews or non-interviews are also listed in the manual).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

This was an interesting read! I particularly found it informative to read their criteria for assigning a "fraud grade" of A - C and for scheduling interviews in the Removal of Conditions cases:

Once the fraud level is determined, the adjudicator enters the case in the MFAS data base. The district office assigns a percentage to each fraud level. All fraud level A cases are interviewed. The responsible officer (usually the ADDE) in the district offices may choose to interview between 30% to 100% of all fraud level B cases; and between 10% and 50% of all fraud level C cases. After the case is entered in MFAS, the adjudicator enters the fraud level and the computer determines if the case will be sent for interview depending on the percentage of cases the district office wants to interview.

(from http://www.uscis.gov/propub/DocView/afmid/...ite=#0-0-0-608)

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't remember if I was told about the removal of conditions at the time of my interview or any other time... (I came in on a CR1 visa)

I think the only reason I know about it was from this site....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you want really interesting reading, try the actual CIS regulations. They state that within 90 days of the date an I-751 is filed, a service center is supposed to either adjudicate the petition or arrange for an interview. 8 C.F.R. § 216.4©(1)

Edited by James

Meh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
This was an interesting read! I particularly found it informative to read their criteria for assigning a "fraud grade" of A - C and for scheduling interviews in the Removal of Conditions cases:

Once the fraud level is determined, the adjudicator enters the case in the MFAS data base. The district office assigns a percentage to each fraud level. All fraud level A cases are interviewed. The responsible officer (usually the ADDE) in the district offices may choose to interview between 30% to 100% of all fraud level B cases; and between 10% and 50% of all fraud level C cases. After the case is entered in MFAS, the adjudicator enters the fraud level and the computer determines if the case will be sent for interview depending on the percentage of cases the district office wants to interview.

And what happens to those who are not interviewed?? Are those the ones that receive a letter asking for more evidence?

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I received a letter from the embassy in copenhagen along with my visa. The letter had the DHS symbol on it and it stated when to remove conditions. The letter also stated that this was my reminder to remove my conditions and that the USCIS will not be sending a second reminder.

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Timeline

And what happens to those who are not interviewed?? Are those the ones that receive a letter asking for more evidence?

Those are the ones who are approved without an interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.