Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I had an ex-BF in JA who would say that I WANT TO SLEEP NOW stuff. It was never good with him. He was just avoiding the issues.

Until you know what's going on in his head, Claire, you probably shouldn't speculate though. This LD thing makes you crazy with speculations.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
hi guys do u think any of ur SOs would object to being a stay at home dad if need be if its cheaper than daycare? By the way what are infant daycare costs like and the times in which u can drop them off and pick them up.

I can't say this loud enough but YES, most jamaican men do not like to be at home, looking after pickney, even if it's theres. they want to work be out the house.

Hell, I don't even want to be home exclusively looking after the kids. My personality does not allow me to stay in the house for long!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Claire......

Has he voiced any objections before? About moving to the US, I mean?

Do you think he had an argument or something with his father that could make him hesitant to move?

He could just be scared. It is a big step for anyone.

I think at the very least, you need to have some good sit down, heart to hearts with him to find out what the problem is.

I absolutely think you are in the most perfect situation. With those of us on K-1's & K-3's we are given little time to live together and make that smooth transition from living apart to marrying and being together almost all the time at first. Someone I know was saying she wished they gave us 4 months before the K-1 expired. I said 6 would be even better. The transition is just so sudden and difficult to work with.

Anyhow, I think you are the luckiest girl I have heard of in a long time. Yes, use the time to see how it all flows. That is a brilliant thing to do.

And, no, since his father is directly involved in this one, I think it was appropriate to discuss with him. I am almost thinking you should've said all that to Mike first though. I think I would definately discuss it before he finds out from his father.

True....sounds like he's either anxious or feeling stressed by the whole thing but I agree...Take the time to find out. Going to his dad's might be what u need to put a little distance there so you can see what he really wants and expects and what u want outta this too. I'm sure you wanted more of a reaction outta him based on all the Good News you were trying to give him etc. so hopefully.....It'll all work out for the best over time.

:)

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
hi guys do u think any of ur SOs would object to being a stay at home dad if need be if its cheaper than daycare? By the way what are infant daycare costs like and the times in which u can drop them off and pick them up.

I can't say this loud enough but YES, most jamaican men do not like to be at home, looking after pickney, even if it's theres. they want to work be out the house.

Hell, I don't even want to be home exclusively looking after the kids. My personality does not allow me to stay in the house for long!

when i was home before i had the baby, i was always outside. I stayed home with my son and after a while i started feeling disconnected from the outside world. think it would be harder for someone who isn't from here..might start to feel isolated...maybe this is why English wants a job?

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yup that was his response when i asked him. My thoughts were that it may be cheaper for him stay home. Its just a thought. Now if he gets paid like 11.75 im estimating at 40 hours a week that would give about 350 maybe? and that will only just cover daycare and we need a lot more than that im trying figure what cost i will cut to afford daycare and any other expenses right now i have no extra to cover that so i been praying on it and trying find a cheaper place to live.

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Timeline

Regarding the whole stay at home dad thing...I can honestly say I don't know too many JA men that would be ok with minding kids all day and not out making money supporting the family. While I don't see anything wrong with it I know from a cultural standpoint and a pride/ego thing...not going to happen with most JA men. You could explain til you are blue in the face about the logistics and how it would be better for him to stay home and you to work but when it comes down to it they aren't going to be ok with their wife being the only one making money. Now I am talking most JA men...not all cause you never know you could find someone who doesn't mind but I think it would be rare.

Timeline

yup that was his response when i asked him. My thoughts were that it may be cheaper for him stay home. Its just a thought. Now if he gets paid like 11.75 im estimating at 40 hours a week that would give about 350 maybe? and that will only just cover daycare and we need a lot more than that im trying figure what cost i will cut to afford daycare and any other expenses right now i have no extra to cover that so i been praying on it and trying find a cheaper place to live.

did u price daycare where u are??? know any older ladies who want to supplement their income??? Is your mother near you she might know someone

Timeline

If you get to itemize, you do get to take a portion of that daycare cost off your taxes too. It's not a big plus in lieu of the costs involved; but it is something.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In theory, it SOUNDS good having the SO's watching the kids rather than having to pay hundreds of dollars in childcare but I agree with JG on this one....

I'm not sure ME or Dave could stay home like that and be happy doing it - long term. I know I couldn't probably do it but then again, this might be why I don't have any kids yet either :lol:

Selfish....I know :no: LOL

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

did u price daycare where u are??? know any older ladies who want to supplement their income??? Is your mother near you she might know someone

When my daughter was in Daycare ... and I even found preschool this way ... I called churches. Both the churches that helped me happen to be Methodist but Church people know people.... They know the community.

Open the yellow pages and call and visit everyone you can.

When I moved back to Maine I cried and cried because I didnt think I could afford it. Even though I work at home I couldnt get work done with a wired kid running around. I eventually found some GREAT care.

You have to hunt the good ones down!

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Timeline

nope only folks i know in jersey are the peopl i work with no friends here outside. Mom is in MD. Id have more options there if i were still living there

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Timeline
If you get to itemize, you do get to take a portion of that daycare cost off your taxes too. It's not a big plus in lieu of the costs involved; but it is something.

right think it's between 3 to 5 thousand dollars

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

right think it's between 3 to 5 thousand dollars

Holy cow! When I spent close to 10,000 on daycare .. I got $600 back. :-(

Must depend on the state.

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Timeline

nope only folks i know in jersey are the peopl i work with no friends here outside. Mom is in MD. Id have more options there if i were still living there

try craigslist.com and ask your friends at work, u never know where help might come from

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.