Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We've reached another milestone in the adjustment process in this life we call the American way. After months of hubby working odd end jobs while searching for the right one, he has finally found a good job and got his first "real" paycheck. As hubby has been working, I knew in his mind he was calculating what his check was gonna be all the while I'm teaching him about what his employer was going to take out for taxes, and social security, and medicare from his check. When payday finally came, all I could do was chuckle as hubby sat in disbelief when he realized what uncle sam was really taking from him, as if I never tried to tell him. Hubby was asking all kinds of questions like why do I have to pay this...and pay that??? My brother was over at the time and he said to him "Welcome to America.....the only thing that is for certain in this country is death and taxes". ....ain't that the truth.

Thats funny. have you seen the taxes coming out of the average worker in Jamaica?! Its WAAAYYY higher than ours over here. You think about it...you make around $100US a week and the taxes and fees are around 35%! Now that is crazy. If you are in a high tax bracket you're ususally taxed around 25%. When I say taxes, I mean federal and state taxes. The other fees like medicare, SS those are something else, cause you're "supposed" to be able to get that money back.

Edited by Marlita

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
We've reached another milestone in the adjustment process in this life we call the American way. After months of hubby working odd end jobs while searching for the right one, he has finally found a good job and got his first "real" paycheck. As hubby has been working, I knew in his mind he was calculating what his check was gonna be all the while I'm teaching him about what his employer was going to take out for taxes, and social security, and medicare from his check. When payday finally came, all I could do was chuckle as hubby sat in disbelief when he realized what uncle sam was really taking from him, as if I never tried to tell him. Hubby was asking all kinds of questions like why do I have to pay this...and pay that??? My brother was over at the time and he said to him "Welcome to America.....the only thing that is for certain in this country is death and taxes". ....ain't that the truth.

Thats funny. have you seen the taxes coming out of the average worker in Jamaica?! Its WAAAYYY higher than ours over here. You think about it...you make around $100US a week and the taxes and fees are around 35%! Now that is crazy. If you are in a high tax bracket you're ususally taxed around 25%. When I say taxes, I mean federal and state taxes. The other fees like medicare, SS those are something else, cause you're "supposed" to be able to get that money back.

Really? Where's all this money going?

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Really? Where's all this money going?

let mi express my ignorance also, I never knew they took out taxes with the way the infrastructure is so in need of help. I also wonder where this money is going?

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
My brother was over at the time and he said to him "Welcome to America.....the only thing that is for certain in this country is death and taxes". ....ain't that the truth.

An't that the truth..my hubby's the same way, they took over 500$$ in taxes out of his last check and he was having a fit. Got to love America!

hey brown..hows the I-130 coming?

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Timeline
More pics of Jaylyn! http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/j...nav_album_album

Everyone have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

We will be grilling jerk pork and jerk chicken with that famous side of rice and peas. Sorry wish I could help with the recipe of jerk chicken but DH makes it. He uses a lot of Jamaican spices and blends them in the blender that is all I know. I just make the rice and peas. When I don't have to make a complete meal its a great day.

Jax...she is sssoo cute!!! Does she like her swing?? Kaila LOVES hers...infact if she could she would only sleep there :wacko:

Thanks Shauna. She loves her bouncer chair better. LOL yeah Jaylyn would sleep in her bouncer all day if she could. We finally got her to sleep in her crib all alone by herself last night in her room. It was amazing. How is Kaila doing? Where did you get those pictures done? I want to get her pictures done soon and yours are so great.

:lol:

I remember those days.

Looks like this is the month for cars.....

I was sleeping got up to go the bathroom and I have a habit of looking into the parking lot to check on my car. Well, I walk out into my living room I see a car coming down the grass embankment and bomb! First thing in my mind is..this person has to be drunk...he hits 4 cars...DRUNK! WTH is wrong with people. the person tries to reverse but the grass is wet and is having a hard time, so I'm on the cell with the police and I'm like look this person is about to run...they finally arrive. You know when your MIND tell you to do something do it. I had backed my van into that spot and I pulled out of that spot and parked it on the other side of the parking lot. THANK GOD!...I have no NONE tolerance for DRUNK DRIVERS ....when I use to party hard NEVER...NEVER touch...sip, smelled, tasted nothing if I was the DESIGNATED driver. I've gotten scratched up, spit on, beaten to get keys away from my friends and I'll gladly do it again.

Please .... Please be careful this weekend and stay safe. I love you ladies...ya'll are like sisters to me.

Love yah!

Novelette

:rofl: You are a mess!! I got a vivid picture of this....no laughing matter; still I'm sitting here LMAO!!! Glad the force of what I called GOD was within you and you moved your car....people are in deed crazy. I feel the same about drunk driving. :yes:

OH MY! :wacko:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey everyone

I'm supposed to be working on a statistics paper for the ANOVA testing process with two variables, and complete with graphs :huh:<_<:wacko::whistle: but my mind just ain't there right about now. I just found out that Capleton will be performing after our Carnival this Sunday...wanna go bad too but this paper is due by Monday.

I am bored outta my mind :(

:wow: I don't envy you...what's your major?

Capleton is very busy he will be here June 2.

So I went to court today - and the judge awarded me $2500 plus the filing costs!!

:wow: Good job!!

Business Management :angry: I have always had an interest in the arts and photography but I know that when we finally relocate I can use this degree anywhere. Not my passion but it is the sensible thing to do.

Sus break a sista off some a di ends :lol:

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey new mommies (Jax and Shawna) (L)

Finesse I remember when same thing happen to my hubby. I'm on his benefits plan and all he does is chat bout how they take X amount out every paycheck. I told him that it's better to have healthcare and use it rarely than to not have healthcare and you need it - well true enough he had to go to the dentist about two weeks ago and there was no bill or copay.

Lawny ppl mad eeehh :yes: ol vagabond dat. Inna wi yaad wan Mexican bway lick wi cyar an try fi drive off like a no him a dweet - hubby run dungstairs and trace off him rass :yes: di man waan bawl "I don't speak English" - when hubby seh him aggo call di police di bway waan unnastan what wi chat bout *dutty kissteet*

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
i'm on a roll....B+ in both courses :dance::dance: coulda be a A but mi lazy fi hand in everything pon time :)...go me..go me

here somes summer semester June 2 to July 24th..then off fi di fall to give birth :dance:

hey Classy..wat u been up to ? see yah lurking :yes:

CONGRATS CHICA!!!!! I wish some of my students would tek a page outta yuh book!!! Pregnant, working full-time, mother full-time, wife full-time and STILL pulled out a B+'s!!! That's AWESOME!!!! Some of them don't have a dyam ting fi worry bout but wat tuh wear deh next day and still coming to me crying when they get "D's" and "F's". And it's ALWAYS the professors fault!!! Not the 12 absences and lack of quality work they did!!

What REALLY drives me crazy are the parents that call me to complain about the Professors!! No, how about yuh give yuh pickney 2 kuff han tell dem fi tap waste hup yuh money han duh some work!!! :blink::wacko:

:thumbs: GOOD JOB CHICA!!!! PROUDDAH YUH!!! :thumbs:

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mawning Family,

Hope everyone is full-joying their weekend!!!

Thought I would share this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxn9jhypHfo...feature=related

GWAAN THROUGH COCOA TEA!!!!

And yes, this is in JA's top ten!!!! It should be on the US's too!!!!

Bless-ed day,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
More pics of Jaylyn! http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/j...nav_album_album

Everyone have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

We will be grilling jerk pork and jerk chicken with that famous side of rice and peas. Sorry wish I could help with the recipe of jerk chicken but DH makes it. He uses a lot of Jamaican spices and blends them in the blender that is all I know. I just make the rice and peas. When I don't have to make a complete meal its a great day.

Jax...she is sssoo cute!!! Does she like her swing?? Kaila LOVES hers...infact if she could she would only sleep there :wacko:

Thanks Shauna. She loves her bouncer chair better. LOL yeah Jaylyn would sleep in her bouncer all day if she could. We finally got her to sleep in her crib all alone by herself last night in her room. It was amazing. How is Kaila doing? Where did you get those pictures done? I want to get her pictures done soon and yours are so great.

Kaila only like the chair a little bit....i know what you mean about the crib....only a couple of times did she take a nap in her crib during the day and she will sleep in it at night which is nice....she is doing very well...she is a little piggy and is up to 6 ounces at a time...yesterday it got a little ridiculus she had 12 ounces in 2 hours so i am putting a little bit of rice cereal in her bottle because that is just tttooo much formula at one time.....how is Jaylyn doing???

i got her pics done at sears....i went in with a cupon and came out with a damn package oh well it was worth the money!!

Edited by nannygirl82

My brother was over at the time and he said to him "Welcome to America.....the only thing that is for certain in this country is death and taxes". ....ain't that the truth.

An't that the truth..my hubby's the same way, they took over 500$$ in taxes out of his last check and he was having a fit. Got to love America!

hey brown..hows the I-130 coming?

Waiting on the mother to do her part. Thanks for aking. She needs to send us copies of our daughter's passort, passport photos, the consent to travel to the US, and the G25a's I mailed to her for her signature. I guess she needed to sign them, that part I was confused about. Then I am ready to mail the packet. I see it's only taking 6-12 months to arrive in the US. My husband will be so happy once approved. :star:

Hey new mommies (Jax and Shawna) (L)

Finesse I remember when same thing happen to my hubby. I'm on his benefits plan and all he does is chat bout how they take X amount out every paycheck. I told him that it's better to have healthcare and use it rarely than to not have healthcare and you need it - well true enough he had to go to the dentist about two weeks ago and there was no bill or copay.

Lawny ppl mad eeehh :yes: ol vagabond dat. Inna wi yaad wan Mexican bway lick wi cyar an try fi drive off like a no him a dweet - hubby run dungstairs and trace off him rass :yes: di man waan bawl "I don't speak English" - when hubby seh him aggo call di police di bway waan unnastan what wi chat bout *dutty kissteet*

:rofl:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Mawning Family,

Hope everyone is full-joying their weekend!!!

Thought I would share this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxn9jhypHfo...feature=related

GWAAN THROUGH COCOA TEA!!!!

And yes, this is in JA's top ten!!!! It should be on the US's too!!!!

Bless-ed day,

Gill

Gil -

I was in Negril last month and caught Cocoa Tea at some club and he sang this song. I almost lost my mind. My sweetie was like, "What's the big deal?" I was like, "Honey, there is a big chance that in America we will have either a black person as president, or a woman. It's a huge deal." He said, "Really? Yuh kinda late. Jamaica already had both." I couldn't do anything but laugh, because he was right.... :whistle: .

Edited by Unruly Gal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.