ZansGirl

Crossing the Border

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there..My name is Tangie and I live in Victoria and my fiance is in Tacoma. Question here...once we start this process, how difficult is it going to be crossing the boarder to visist him? We have it down to a science now so that we do not usually go longer than two weeks without seeing one another, and if that was taken away I would be crushed. Anyone have info on this??? Thanks..

LOL...it is almost to the point that the Customs guys recognize me and my car as we cross!!!! LOL

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Hi there..My name is Tangie and I live in Victoria and my fiance is in Tacoma. Question here...once we start this process, how difficult is it going to be crossing the boarder to visist him? We have it down to a science now so that we do not usually go longer than two weeks without seeing one another, and if that was taken away I would be crushed. Anyone have info on this??? Thanks..

LOL...it is almost to the point that the Customs guys recognize me and my car as we cross!!!! LOL

I visited my wife every single weekend for 2 1/2 years while she was in Canada, and most of the border guys got to know me too, so I know what you're talking about haha.

From what I've read on here, just make sure to bring a lot of evidence dealing with your ties to Canada, and you should be okay. That could include rent/mortgage papers, letters from your employer, etc. Good luck with the process!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

Welcome to VJ and the Canada forum-home of some of the nicest VJers around. :D

I'd agree with the previous postings. Bring plenty of evidence of your ties to Canada and always tell the truth! Good luck in your journey.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Victoria and my husband lives in the Bremerton area. I take the Coho over to Port Angeles almost every weekend and have had very few problems.

I always bring a full package of goodies along in case I ever get asked for proof of ties. (I bring copies of bank statements showing rent, utilities, car loans etc, pay stubs and copies of all petitions filed with USCIS) I've never had to show any of it though. They just ask me what my occupation is, where I work and when I am coming back. I find it is much easier if I am not taking my car (I just get a few more questions and feel more scrutinized) and they can easily see what I am carrying with me.

AOS

May 23, 2008 - AOS filed

June 3, 2008 - NOA

June 27th - scheduled biometrics, reschedule requested

July 14th - biometrics

July 16 - cases available online

Aug 6th - card production ordered (EAD)

Timeline

Welcome to VJ! This is like a weekly topic here in the Canadian Forum! Seriously it is,lol No one can say for sure you won't have any problems! Some people have been denied entry! Why, who truly knows!! Some people over react and make things sound worse than they truly were!! "my god the POE officer shot me 5 times,then sent me packing back to canada" when in reality he just said politely denied them,lol POE officers just like police officers are trained in a certain fashion to sort of put you off ease, make one a tad nervous! They are looking for people lying,and when people are nervous they forgot "their story" Thats why it is always good to tell the truth!! I traveleld to DC almost motnhly from Halifax and never had a problem! Here are my tips:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

I resided in Victoria for nearly 9 years, miss it a lot, was a nice city!! Lived just off of Colquitz river way!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Welcome to VJ! This is like a weekly topic here in the Canadian Forum! Seriously it is,lol No one can say for sure you won't have any problems! Some people have been denied entry! Why, who truly knows!! Some people over react and make things sound worse than they truly were!! "my god the POE officer shot me 5 times,then sent me packing back to canada" when in reality he just said politely denied them,lol POE officers just like police officers are trained in a certain fashion to sort of put you off ease, make one a tad nervous! They are looking for people lying,and when people are nervous they forgot "their story" Thats why it is always good to tell the truth!! I traveleld to DC almost motnhly from Halifax and never had a problem! Here are my tips:

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

I resided in Victoria for nearly 9 years, miss it a lot, was a nice city!! Lived just off of Colquitz river way!! Best of luck

I live in White Rock and my husband is in Bellingham, I go down there every weekend and sometimes one night during the week and never have any problems. I have a Nexus pass and rarely get questions but I do carry my little envelope with my hydro bill, pay statement, immigration paper work etc.

Timeline

you guys are awesome!! you have just lifted an enormous weight off my shoulders!!

and on another note..I wonder if I have seen some of you on the Coho before!! LOL

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi There!

You have likely seen me on the Coho....took it almost every weekend from last spring until end of November when the schedule went down to once a day...I live about 2 hours north of Victoria and my husband lives in Tacoma. We now take turns traveling, each of us travel every other weekend via Peace Arch and although I've been questioned extensively, I pack everything I can (as others have listed) to prove my ties to Canada and I have had no problems.

Seems like there's a lot of us BC & Washington State couples here :)

Annie

N-400 Citizenship

Sept. 13, 2011 N-400 sent to Phoenix Lockbox

Sept. 20, 2011 Check cashed

Sept. 23, 2011 NOA rec'd for N-400

Oct. 17, 2011 Biometrics appointment

Nov. 29, 2011 Interview - PASSED! 3yr anniversary not until 12/09/11

Dec. 13, 2011 Status update received "Oath Scheduled"

Dec. 15, 2011 Letter received with Oath date

Dec. 27, 2011 OATH! US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.