Mark Smith

Proof of sponsor's income

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I've only recently started looking at the immigration process so I'm sorry if I have missed something really obvious.

My fiancée lives in America and I want to go and live with her so we have been looking at the K1 visa requirements.

The only issue is her income. Right at this moment it is enough to take her over the 125% income requirement but does it need to have been like that for a while?

It says you need to send tax returns for 3 years.

She used to be married and while she was married she worked less hours so had a lower income, below the 125% poverty level. Is this likely to cause a problem now? i'm thinking it probably will abd can't see a way around it.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mark

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

In most cases they are most concerned with current income. The number of tax returns also depends on what consulate you are going through. Some want just one, some may ask for 3.

If you are worried about her not meeting the poverty guidelines you can look into getting a cosponsor who would satisfy the requirement.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

In most cases they are most concerned with current income. The number of tax returns also depends on what consulate you are going through. Some want just one, some may ask for 3.

If you are worried about her not meeting the poverty guidelines you can look into getting a cosponsor who would satisfy the requirement.

Indeed, current income and earning potential are factors. Most folks line up someone to be a joint sponsor, which is useful!

Good luck in your process.

Thanks for the info.

I think her current earnings will be fine. I was just worried about the length of time she had been working her current number of hours.

Actually, one more thing I couldn't see the answer to that someone might be able to help with. Is the 125% income before or after tax has been deducted?

Hopefully she will be fine either way because getting a sponsor probably wont be easy. Her family aren't very supportive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Thanks for the info.

I think her current earnings will be fine. I was just worried about the length of time she had been working her current number of hours.

Actually, one more thing I couldn't see the answer to that someone might be able to help with. Is the 125% income before or after tax has been deducted?

Hopefully she will be fine either way because getting a sponsor probably wont be easy. Her family aren't very supportive.

Before taxes.

FYI: The cosponsor does not have to be a family member. They need to either be a USC or LPR.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yea, I was wondering the same thing about 1 versus 3 year income returns. I have only been working for a 1 1/2 so I don't know if that would be a problem.

Also, does anyone know the current federal poverty income level? I'm sure I could google it but though it would be good public knowledge.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Great, thanks.

Her current earnings before taxes are well above the 125% guideline of $17,500 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I know that a cosponsor doesn't have to be family but I'm not sure asking a friend would be a road we would be comfortable going down. I think if there was a problem with her income we would try to bring her into the UK instead to be honest.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks. If her current earnings are over the min amount, then why get a cosponsor? I don't think Immigration concerns itself with how much many you have to back her up, so long as it meets their requirement.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

You should be okay as long as current income is over the poverty income. The letter from employer will also help to show that making over the line is not a temporary thing.

Citizenship

8/06/2011 - Package sent

8/25/2011 - Biometrics schedule

9/26/2011 - Interview date received

10/09/2011 - Received yellow letter

11/08/2011 - Interview date THANKS GOD went smooth n pretty easy with the nice lady IO takes 9-10 minutes wow???????????????

I think I waited more time for my Oath Ceremony schedule rather than interview process and after 13 minutes the lady gave my sched WOW CAN'T BELIEVE ......yayyyyyyy

11/16/2011 - Oath Ceremony

Visit My Website

www.roseandchuck.com

Removing Conditions

08/3/2010 - File for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/6/2010 - Received date/ Noticed Date

9/06/2010 - Biometric Date Modesto

12/2/2010 - Card production( they orderd) new card. I just checked I'm not in hurry but hahahaha lucky GOD IS SO GOOD THANKS FOR EVERYTHING PAPA JESUS MWAHHH.

AOS

06/06/2008 - AOS PACKAGE SENT

06/09/2008 - RECEIVED DATE

06/13/2008- NOTICED DATE checked cleared ( received in mail 06/17/2008 notice for AOS, EAD and AP)

07/09/2008- BIOMETRICS date modesto

08/18/2008- AP APPROVED ( received date 8/22/2008)

08/18/2008- EAD APPROVED ( received date 8/27/2008)

09/17/2008- RECEIVED interview date appoinment

10/29/2008- INTERVIEW date 1:00pm sacramento (approved)

11/05/2008- RECEIVED WELCOME NOTICE

11/07/2008- RECEIVED GREEN CARD

banner-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks. If her current earnings are over the min amount, then why get a cosponsor? I don't think Immigration concerns itself with how much many you have to back her up, so long as it meets their requirement.

I personally think they do look at past earnings, I also agree that if her income is currently sufficient you probably won't need a joint sponsor - but, as len has mentioned, "current income and earning potential are factors."

Now, if your wife was say a student - it seems reasonable that she hasn't been working before now - or only working part time, if she just hasn't worked for 'no reason', they might want to see those previous returns or an explanation of why she hasn't worked - like looking after children full time.

(E) Other Evidence of Income. For purposes of demonstrating means to maintain income, the total income, before deductions, in the sponsor’s tax return for the most recent taxable year will be generally determinative. There is no requirement to determine whether the sponsor would have met 125% (or 100%) of the governing Poverty Guideline before the most recent tax year. Income tax information from these years should only be used to take the earning trend into consideration when assessing current and future earning capability. link

Edited by trailmix

She is a kindergarten teacher and has been working at the same place for 3 years. She was also a student for some of the last 3 years so didn't work as many hours. That was the part I was worried about.

She stopped going to college last year and works 40 hours per week so her current earnings are at a high enough level. I'm sure a letter from her employer saying that those are her regular hours now wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again for the replies. They have been very useful. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ive been wanting to ask this question too...

My fiancee has only been working for only one year and a half now from this company. His income for 2007 is only $14,500. But last October 2007, he got promoted and his salary would be $25,000 for this year 2008. He was planning to go back to school but decided to put it aside for awhile since petitioning me as his fiancee is more important for him. So he took the job offer because he figured that he needs to meet the 125% requirement as he will be sponsoring for me and my son. At first, I figured that we can use a co-sponsor to play it safe but I found out from here that US Embassy Manila is not accepting co-sponsors for K1 visa. So right now, Im just hoping for the best. I know that I will never be a public charge as I have been travelling to the US every year. And I know my fiancee will never let that happen. Any advice here? Thank you so much.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.