StillThePrettiest

UK electrical appliances in the US

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh dear. However I bought my travel hair dryer from an American base here in the UK so it may work. I can always buy one though if not, you're both right about them being cheap. I once went to Prague and wondered why my hair dryer was sooo hot. Turns out I changed the voltage over (same travel hairdryer) and apparently in the Czech Republic you don't need to. Felt a bit of an idiot.

The GHD's automatically change voltage when I plug them in so they'll be ok.

Edited by LauraUK

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Hair dryers seem to be especially problematic travelling either way. I brought a US one to the UK, and when I plugged it in (with the converter of course) and turned it on a flame shot out of the back of the hairdryer. And then it was toast.

So I got one from Woolie's and when I brought it back to the US and plugged it in w/ a British converter it could barely blow hot...or blow at all.

So yes...hairdryers...don't bother traveling with one!

It's the voltage thing. The one you bought in the US had a motor rated for ~110V, but it was fed 240V in the UK. Conversely, the one bought in the UK was rated for 240V so when it was plugged in to a US socket, it was spinning slower than it ought to.

Here's what you're looking for on the appliance somewhere:

us-voltage.jpg

My old monitor here works on either US 110V or UK 240V, with a change of cable. From what I've seen of hunting around the house, appliances are far less likely to be dual voltage. Computer equipment is more likely, and I'd bet this NEC monitor was probably on sale outside the UK so they made a single model.

Stuff which has a power adaptor (like a laptop) means you're even more in luck. Even if the power adaptor can't cope with 110V, the laptop doesn't care what ultimately feeds it power. Replace it with a US equivalent and you're away. I did this with my Nintendo DS, which is a UK model but will charge just fine with a US power adaptor.

I've got a sneaky feeling I've posted this before, but I've only just woken up so bear with me :innocent:

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hair dryers seem to be especially problematic travelling either way. I brought a US one to the UK, and when I plugged it in (with the converter of course) and turned it on a flame shot out of the back of the hairdryer. And then it was toast.

So I got one from Woolie's and when I brought it back to the US and plugged it in w/ a British converter it could barely blow hot...or blow at all.

So yes...hairdryers...don't bother traveling with one!

It's the voltage thing. The one you bought in the US had a motor rated for ~110V, but it was fed 240V in the UK. Conversely, the one bought in the UK was rated for 240V so when it was plugged in to a US socket, it was spinning slower than it ought to.

Here's what you're looking for on the appliance somewhere:

us-voltage.jpg

My old monitor here works on either US 110V or UK 240V, with a change of cable. From what I've seen of hunting around the house, appliances are far less likely to be dual voltage. Computer equipment is more likely, and I'd bet this NEC monitor was probably on sale outside the UK so they made a single model.

Stuff which has a power adaptor (like a laptop) means you're even more in luck. Even if the power adaptor can't cope with 110V, the laptop doesn't care what ultimately feeds it power. Replace it with a US equivalent and you're away. I did this with my Nintendo DS, which is a UK model but will charge just fine with a US power adaptor.

I've got a sneaky feeling I've posted this before, but I've only just woken up so bear with me :innocent:

Stu

Thanks for the info...but I just don't bother with the hair appliances these days. One of the advantages of very short hair! :thumbs:

wtf-picard.jpg

• 2 years later...

wow. this is an old one...but worth a bump up...(found it skipping through links in the UK wiki)

bet most of the people posting here have already found out if their toaster, hairdryers and GHD's work over there...lol

my hair dryer didn't work...:wacko:

my GHD's worked fine, with a travel adaptor though.

i felt i needed to add to this, as it is a pretty descriptive thread about UK/USA power conversions and such...

for a pc to travel...maybe invest in a new power supply (approx £40/$100) rather than a new pc...mine which i have here was home built in the USA...lives now in the UK, landing here with its USA power supply unit...with a switcher on it for 110/240 this eventually went pop...i smoke...it died of passive smoking i guess...i replaced it with a new power supply which will also work fine when it returns to the USA...(if it too hasn't died an early death)

most laptops are built for travel...mine also is American (dell) works fine over here though is currently only used by my mum to play solitaire....:bonk:

the one thing i was gutted about leaving, because i 'was' really so thick when it comes to electrical things...my separates stereo...i loved it...cost a fortune and i miss it dearly...it wasn't until i landed over there that i realised that each piece would plug in and work in a USA socket...no problems...i had it running in the UK on two USA 6 gang adaptors with UK plugs, it never occurred to me....someone got a bargain when i left...

anyways....just my input...:hehe:

01hjdig2z5zy.png

funny-pictures-cat-door-dilemma.gif?w=302&h=131

2004 - we met online.

7th May 2007 - filed I-129 paperwork

9th June 2007 - received I-797 notice of action

13th November 2007 - I-129 approved

18th December 2007 Visa and medical interview

12th January 2008- Shipping company arrived

14th January 2008 - landed at Newark Airport.

9th March 2008 - got married(received SSI number)

April 2008 - My things arrived in USA from the UK

9th March 2009 - our 1st Anniversary

14th June 2009 - returned to the UK

9th March 2010 - our 2nd Anniversary - spent apart - so lonely :(

1st September 2010 - filed I-130 (applying for IR1)

11th Sept - Received I-797c address part C error

13th Sept - Resubmitted I-130

24th Sept 2010 received second I-797 NOA status - "initial review"

4th January 2011 - I-130 Approved - moving to NVC!

12th January 2011 - I-130 forwarded to NVC.

31st January 2011 - Notification of LDN number received in the post.

I brought back from the UK a hair dryer, straightener and electric razor. The straightener works great. The dryer was barely working. And, the electric razor did not even charge up enought to use! I guess it all depends on what type of electric equipment you bring over from the UK. I am keeping them for when I fly back to visit my inlaws. :)

Capturec.JPG?psid=1

• 3 weeks later...

Barry had several UK electrics such as computer, stereo, shaver, cell phone, and tools...they all work, charge nicely on US 220 circuit we had installed with UK power strips adapted for the US outlets.

Debbie & Barry

K-1 Timeline:

10-29-2007 Sent I 129-F to CSC

10-31-2007 I 129-F received CSC 9:48 AM

11-02-2007 NOA-1

11-07-2007 check cashed!

11-09-2007 NOA-1 hard copy received

3-11-08 RFE

3-17-08 RFE received by mail

3-22-08 RFE reply sent from England

4-09-08 RFE received CSC case resumed

4-18-08 NOA2 by email (after 172 days)

4-24-08 NOA2 hard copy

5-01-08 NVC received

5-02-08 case forwarded to US Embassy London

5-07-08 received by London Embassy

5-08-08 Packet 3 sent from Embassy

5-15-08 Packet 3 mailed recorded delivery

5-21-08 Packet 3 received US Embassy London

6-02-08 Medical

6-13-08 packet 4 received

7-01-08 Interview London Embassy Approved!

7-04-08 Visa in hand! hurray!

7-13-08 POE Cleveland, OH

9-23-08 (AOS package sent)

9-29-08 NOA received I-485, I-131, I-765

10-21-08 biometrics appt

12-12-08 EAD and AP received by mail!

2-04-2009 AOS approved!

2-12-2009 card received

11-05-2010 I-751 mailed to CSC

11-08-2010 received CS, NOA1 date

12-20-10 biometrics

02-09-11 ROC approved

02-14-11 Greencard received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Most US houses (not apartments) that I have seen usually have in certain parts of the house wiring for 220 plugs. These are not something people generally plug things into other than what they are set up for, which are the Stove/Range in the kitchen, and sometimes cloths dryers have a plug set up for 220 where ever the laundry is set up. These options generally do not help for things like stereo's or hair appliances because of location but in some cases it might be worth looking at running a heavy duty extension cable say, to a stereo or something. More often that not it wouldn't be practical. There may be rare cases where it might be worth having an electrician run a 220 outlet in a US house if certain items are "must have's".

Another factor besides the plug sockets and voltage differnces is the alternating current frequency, which may matter for some electrical things. In the US the house power uses 60hz or 60 cycles per second alternating current, whereas in Europe it's 50 hz or cycles per second. My guess is the UK is the same as Germany for type of power (ie 50 hz). Of course German wall plugs are a different shape than the UK or US from what I've seen.

Be aware that some appliances, especially bathroom appliances like hair dryers, curlers, electric shavers etc, are often sold with the ability to change power settings for travelers. I had an electric shaver which I could flip a switch on it depending on 110 volts in the US or 220 in Germany or other countries. I simply added a plug adaptor so it would fit the wall socket and I was good to go as long as I selected the correct voltage for the country. Hair dryers often have a switch like this but you have to check when you buy them. This feature often doesn't make the hair dryer any more expensive either.

I work on computers in the US and I've noticed for desktop computers, nearly all of them have a switch on the back power supply that can be changed to 220 volts from US 110. Thus, all you need in that case is to remove the power cable that fits US sockets and replace it with one that fits UK sockets and flip the switch. For laptops, you can probably buy a different power plug that goes into it that is made for whatever voltage it will be operated. Monitors have a built in power supply so those would be a different story - and need to have a converter or be switchable.

Of course in many cases it may not be cost effective to ship over larger electrical items from the UK to the US, and many can be replaced at low cost here in the US.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.