M and K

Current Status - K-3 and I-130 - my 2cents

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Long-term I agree with you about a possible NVC slowdown, but short-term there may actually be better NVC service if they no longer have to handle K-3s and many "optimists" refuse to start the CR-1 process in hopes of still getting their K-3.

No one is waiting for the CR-1 process in hopes of a K3 so far. The NVC doesn't do anything with the K3 petition. IT takes the petition and sends it to the embassy. Totally 2-5 days. I have seen mostly 2 days, but lets keep it broad.

Everyone who has been "told" that their petition is Administratively closed is going the CR1 route that I have read this far. This process take the NVC 2 months. Now this is going to add a major strain on The NVC.

I am the only one that is going the K3 route so far instead of my approved CR1. But my CR1 petition is at the NVC right now being processed tying up the system and I am still going the K3 route.

Sean please make informed comment that will benefit poster. Generalizations and misinformation such as your recent post can confuse people who need accurate information.

I am not an optimist. I am an informed United States Citizen that knows my rights and laws of my country. I am not fearful of government agencies that want to make up there own rules to meet there quota. IF everyone else wants to do this, it will make my process that much quicker when I get to the NVC and they say oh thank god a K3, this will be easy I can just send this on to their embassy.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Long-term I agree with you about a possible NVC slowdown, but short-term there may actually be better NVC service if they no longer have to handle K-3s and many "optimists" refuse to start the CR-1 process in hopes of still getting their K-3.

No one is waiting for the CR-1 process in hopes of a K3 so far. The NVC doesn't do anything with the K3 petition. IT takes the petition and sends it to the embassy. Totally 2-5 days. I have seen mostly 2 days, but lets keep it broad.

Everyone who has been "told" that their petition is Administratively closed is going the CR1 route that I have read this far. This process take the NVC 2 months. Now this is going to add a major strain on The NVC.

I am the only one that is going the K3 route so far instead of my approved CR1. But my CR1 petition is at the NVC right now being processed tying up the system and I am still going the K3 route.

Sean please make informed comment that will benefit poster. Generalizations and misinformation such as your recent post can confuse people who need accurate information.

I am not an optimist. I am an informed United States Citizen that knows my rights and laws of my country. I am not fearful of government agencies that want to make up there own rules to meet there quota. IF everyone else wants to do this, it will make my process that much quicker when I get to the NVC and they say oh thank god a K3, this will be easy I can just send this on to their embassy.

Where is my miinsformation? Use some logic...people continue to file for th K-3 petition. It takes longer to get to the NVC if you file K-3 rather than CR-1. Therefore, petitions take longer to reach NVC . So...at the moment Cr-

Timeline

Where is my miinsformation? Use some logic...people continue to file for th K-3 petition. It takes longer to get to the NVC if you file K-3 rather than CR-1. Therefore, petitions take longer to reach NVC . So...at the moment Cr-

ooops...left out that at the moment CR-1 petitions get to the NVC quicker than K-3.

Timeline
but short-term there may actually be better NVC service if they no longer have to handle K-3s and many "optimists" refuse to start the CR-1 process in hopes of still getting their K-3.

Misinformation: better service at the NVC if they no longer have to handle the K3's

You ask the NVC if they can provide better service if they process all CR1's instead of K3's.

Then report back to the readers who need some real information. Not just hearsay.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline
but short-term there may actually be better NVC service if they no longer have to handle K-3s and many "optimists" refuse to start the CR-1 process in hopes of still getting their K-3.

Misinformation: better service at the NVC if they no longer have to handle the K3's

You ask the NVC if they can provide better service if they process all CR1's instead of K3's.

Then report back to the readers who need some real information. Not just hearsay.

i said short-term advantage. I think this is accurate using common sense. But think what you want...it's a free country.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Again, you're in denial, perhaps because you lack knowledge of the process or perhaps your head can't see the information for the sand.

Every person who wants a K3 visa files two petitions. If NVC is only going to see one of those petitions, there will still be virtually a 1-1 relationship between the number of "petitioners" and the number of "petitions" NVC eventually deals with regardless of the k3 vs immigrant visa mix. Let's just pick the number of 1000 petitions a week for spouse of USC that are approved by USCIS and forwarded to NVC. If all of a sudden the mix goes from 80% K3 to 100% CR1/IR1, the workload for 1000 petitions a week rises very significantly. NVC has immigrant visa cases in house doing multiple processing tasks over a period of two or more months each. Compared to the same number of petitions/cases as K3, that clear NVC in a week or two (sometimes just 3 or 4 days) the additional NVC workload is increased significantly.

On the other side, every immigrant visa case substituted for a K3 case means USCIS will process one less AOS application. Yes, they'll lose the AOS associated fee but in the short term, their backlog decreases and they look like they're doing a better job. This is how bureaucrats keep their jobs, get promoted and build little fiefdoms. It's dangerous though because when the whistle is successfully blown, their folly is revealed.

This policy of forwarding the CR1 cases instead of K3, offloads a lot of workload from USCIS in the short term, while screwing people who actually need the K3 process.

It's a horrendous pitfall, I'd advise any petitioner to avoid for the time being by simply going the immigrant visa route, unless they are dealing with a Consular situation that prohits that. Even then, it's a crapshoot that could simply further delay their reunions with their spouses.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Again, you're in denial, perhaps because you lack knowledge of the process or perhaps your head can't see the information for the sand.

Every person who wants a K3 visa files two petitions. If NVC is only going to see one of those petitions, there will still be virtually a 1-1 relationship between the number of "petitioners" and the number of "petitions" NVC eventually deals with regardless of the k3 vs immigrant visa mix. Let's just pick the number of 1000 petitions a week for spouse of USC that are approved by USCIS and forwarded to NVC. If all of a sudden the mix goes from 80% K3 to 100% CR1/IR1, the workload for 1000 petitions a week rises very significantly. NVC has immigrant visa cases in house doing multiple processing tasks over a period of two or more months each. Compared to the same number of petitions/cases as K3, that clear NVC in a week or two (sometimes just 3 or 4 days) the additional NVC workload is increased significantly.

On the other side, every immigrant visa case substituted for a K3 case means USCIS will process one less AOS application. Yes, they'll lose the AOS associated fee but in the short term, their backlog decreases and they look like they're doing a better job. This is how bureaucrats keep their jobs, get promoted and build little fiefdoms. It's dangerous though because when the whistle is successfully blown, their folly is revealed.

This policy of forwarding the CR1 cases instead of K3, offloads a lot of workload from USCIS in the short term, while screwing people who actually need the K3 process.

It's a horrendous pitfall, I'd advise any petitioner to avoid for the time being by simply going the immigrant visa route, unless they are dealing with a Consular situation that prohits that. Even then, it's a crapshoot that could simply further delay their reunions with their spouses.

I doubt any of us realizes what is really going on...because we keep posting questions about K-3 versus CR-1 and we keep telling about our Senators saying this and that...but nothing consistent. At the NVA I suspect that briefly there is a slight advantage to going directly with the CR-1 versus K-3. Am i wrong that this will slow down the process for K-3 petitioners? Yes...the USCIS may be dumping the problem onto the NVA but in the current moment i think folks who go CR-1 will do better at the NVA. Am i wrong?

Timeline

That is the long term result not the "short term" result as stated. Right now they are doing many AOS and They are doing Cr1 work. Long term is is beneficial for the NVC. This will not be benificial for another year.

What am i in denial about?

I am not in denial about anything. Please be specific about what exactly am I in denial about? Say Lurking you are in denial about ......

Do not just shoot out generalized statements toward me. Be specific.

I do not deny anyone was told their petition was canceled or Administratively closed.

Timeline

I doubt any of us realizes what is really going on...because we keep posting questions about K-3 versus CR-1 and we keep telling about our Senators saying this and that...but nothing consistent. At the NVA I suspect that briefly there is a slight advantage to going directly with the CR-1 versus K-3. Am i wrong that this will slow down the process for K-3 petitioners? Yes...the USCIS may be dumping the problem onto the NVA but in the current moment i think folks who go CR-1 will do better at the NVA. Am i wrong?

I think what I wrote above. What is NVA? USCIS is still approving and forwarding the same number of USC spouse petitions to NVC each week. If the mix changes from 80% I-129F for spouse to 100% I-130, the NVC workload will immediately increase.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

This whole debate is somewhat humorous. It reminds me of the debate that was going on during the August-December 2007 when USCIS was reporting no forward movement on processing I-130s at all on their receipting report. I stated at that time, as many other did, that USCIS was not processing I-130s at all in favor of other application types (e.g. naturalization) and many people rebutted "USCIS has not come out with a statement advising they are not processing I-130s at all so therefor it is not happening!"

The results are evidence in and of themselves. There were no NOA-1s issued for I-130s from either CSC or VSC during that time frame and only when USCIS announced that they were sending the I-130s to Chicago in December for input did the NOA-1s start coming out. It is clear from this example that USCIS does not announce their every move. Only after their announcement about the Chicago Lockbox processing did everyone believe that USCIS was doing nothing but stacking up the I-130s in their mail rooms and ignoring them prior to that date.

USCIS processes can be judged more accurately by what they are actually doing then what they announce (or don't announce) they are doing.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
That is the long term result not the "short term" result as stated. Right now they are doing many AOS and They are doing Cr1 work. Long term is is beneficial for the NVC. This will not be benificial for another year.

I am not in denial about anything. Please be specific about what exactly am I in denial about? Say Lurking you are in denial about ......

I do not deny anyone was told their petition was canceled or Administratively closed.

This time you're in denial on the instant subject which is whether NVC will have a larger workload if all spouse cases are CR1 instead of K3.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
This whole debate is somewhat humorous. It reminds me of the debate that was going on during the August-December 2007 when USCIS was reporting no forward movement on processing I-130s at all on their receipting report. I stated at that time, as many other did, that USCIS was not processing I-130s at all in favor of other application types (e.g. naturalization) and many people rebutted "USCIS has not come out with a statement advising they are not processing I-130s at all so therefor it is not happening!"

The results are evidence in and of themselves. There were no NOA-1s issued for I-130s from either CSC or VSC during that time frame and only when USCIS announced that they were sending the I-130s to Chicago in December for input did the NOA-1s start coming out. It is clear from this example that USCIS does not announce their every move. Only after their announcement about the Chicago Lockbox processing did everyone believe that USCIS was doing nothing but stacking up the I-130s in their mail rooms and ignoring them prior to that date.

USCIS processes can be judged more accurately by what they are actually doing then what they announce (or don't announce) they are doing.

Often that's true. Sometimes they do announce a new policy in advance though.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

NVC processing time frame I129F/K3 through 2-5 days They do nothing with this petition.

NVC processing time frame I130/CR1 through 2 months

It is my perception from what I understand through reading post and timelines from NOA2 to embassy that everyone with an NOA1 September 07 to at least September 08 on will experience added time at the NVC due to more CR1 and no K3.

So you think that the processing time at the NVC will be better?

Please explain how this is possible.

Because the way you explained it earlier is that the NVC will not have to do the AOS. Is that clear?

Please this is my understanding, but if you can tell me something else i have open ears. I am not 100% on the NVC other then the time frame for each petition through information on VISAJourney. I have never done any research on the NVC. Because I have never heard any complaints or concerns around them yet.

This time you're in denial on the instant subject which is whether NVC will have a larger workload if all spouse cases are CR1 instead of K3.

Timeline

USCIS does AOS (adjustment of status) not NVC. Perhaps you thought I was referring to affidavit of support, which in immigrant visa cases is handled by NVC. Sorry if that wasn't clear. An immigrant visa holder doesn't adjust status. They enter with permanent resident status.

NVC does process K visa cases but the process is usually very short, involving ordering a name, check, receiving and evaluating it, preparing the file to forward to the Consulate and sending it out. For some Consulates they handle the interview appointment setting.

NVC's process for immigrant visas can take as short a time as 2 months but often takes six. Each administrative action adds to the workload, waiting for a response from a petitoner or beneficiary doesn't, so the time isn't as big an issue on the workload as the additional steps are. You can look up the steps yourself.

NVC processing time frame I129F/K3 through 2-5 days They do nothing with this petition.

NVC processing time frame I130/CR1 through 2 months

It is my perception from what I understand through reading post and timelines from NOA2 to embassy that everyone with an NOA1 September 07 to at least September 08 on will experience added time at the NVC due to more CR1 and no K3.

So you think that the processing time at the NVC will be better?

Please explain how this is possible.

Because the way you explained it earlier is that the NVC will not have to do the AOS. Is that clear?

Please this is my understanding, but if you can tell me something else i have open ears. I am not 100% on the NVC other then the time frame for each petition through information on VISAJourney. I have never done any research on the NVC. Because I have never heard any complaints or concerns around them yet.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.