BlakeandOlha

January Filers at the CSC - How are you doing?

4,270 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Can't wait to see your dress Sunny!

And since you were married before, maybe you can help us with the question about our name change.

When we got married, they never asked us if I wanted to take Bryan's name. Do we only need to go to the social security office to have it change, or was there something that we should have filled out at the courthouse/ recorder of deeds office to have it changed first?

Edited by Cecile and Bryan

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Honestly I don't remember but I am sure it was something real simple as I was 18 when I got married before...I am sure it was most likely just the SSN thing though. Gareth and I are both changing our names this time so shall be interesting haha!

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Successful Fiance' Visa recipents Class of October 2008 ;)

(filed January 2008 married November 18th 2008)

Timeline

OK then we'll see when we go to the SS office.

By the way, I read that changing both names as you want depends on the states. in New York people can do whatever they want, but not in every state. Could you find what you can do in Michigan?

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

Hi yup we need to fill out a form though to both change our names and think there is a fee but no idea how much.

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Timeline
And since you were married before, maybe you can help us with the question about our name change.

When we got married, they never asked us if I wanted to take Bryan's name. Do we only need to go to the social security office to have it change, or was there something that we should have filled out at the courthouse/ recorder of deeds office to have it changed first?

I just called the recorder of deeds to ask them and they said that the only thing we need to do is go to the social security office and DMV with a certified copy of the marriage certificate (which we received this weekend) and that is how the name gets changed. So it seems that everything should be ok :) that's a relief!

Edited by Cecile and Bryan

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

I just called the recorder of deeds to ask them and they said that the only thing we need to do is go to the social security office and DMV with a certified copy of the marriage certificate (which we received this weekend) and that is how the name gets changed. So it seems that everything should be ok :) that's a relief!

'

Oh great news Cecile! I have a question for you now what all did you bring to get marriage license? Obviously Gareth won't have a drivers license or social security number....does he just bring visa in his passport and birth cert and then all my stuff and we are good to go?

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Timeline

I only brought my passport. Check the website of the city/county where you are going to get married as it can be different.

Our county said that they only need an ID (driver license or passport) and our social security number, and that if we didn't have one we had to sign a different paper, but they never asked me my SSN and didn't make me sign anything.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

Cool thanks! Just trying to have as many ducks in a row as we possiblly can!

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Timeline

K everyone here is me in my dress....was just holding flower girl sash up mine will actually tie in a bow in back and hang down a bit.....

post-46971-1220438505_thumb.jpg

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

K everyone here is me in my dress....was just holding flower girl sash up mine will actually tie in a bow in back and hang down a bit.....

looks nice Steph :thumbs:

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

That really suits you! You described it very well, so it is as I pictured, but it looks much better on a person that I could have imagined! :D

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

Tee hee thanks guys! I am so excited to wear it for my man........now to get him over here!

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Timeline

It is beautiful! and it looks very good on you!

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Ever since I bought my plane ticket the distance has become harder to deal with. :(

I'd been okay up until now, really.

This week has been horrible so far. I miss Alex as much as I did after I'd left in January (of course the distance always sucks, but it's a little more painful when you've just left someone - I'm sure you can all empathise). I thought it'd be easier once I'd booked my plane ticket, but it's not. I think it's because I know it's so close.

I don't want to plan a wedding or worry about money, I just want to be there!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

Aww Rachel I know! Each step closer we get in this process is making it harder! Here we are almost to final step and it seems I don't even want to speak to him that much as I am just so irritated with it all having to be over computer or phone and just want him here so we can sit right next to one another and not say a word no what I mean? I mean all we have done is talk talk talk talk TALK this past year LOL. I honestly think once we are together it is going to be sex and silence LOL!

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.