BlakeandOlha

January Filers at the CSC - How are you doing?

4,270 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone! How are we all doing today? I'm being anxious and impatient.

I like your new pictures :) You look like you could be my sister! My girls and I both have the curly hair like that... Lol

Thank you! I don't have any sisters...so maybe you're like a long lost one. ;)

About teaching French...have you tried Rosetta stone? It's fantastic. :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
I'm trying to find a good way to teach French to Bryan. Would you have any ideas?

Waow!! I know what you're talking about...

When I was living with my fiancé, I tried to teach him French, but it didn't work out so much... :(

First of all, does he want to learn French, is he motivated?

Josh knows some words, but that's all.

He, after trying with some books, bought a CD room, I would have to ask him what was the name of it!

It seemed to be a good way to learn French, but he wasn't doing it too frequently! He needs to really want to learn French! not me wanted him to speak French.

He says he wants to learn but he doesn't seem very motivated.

He bought a CD rom (with a book), played with it for a while and then forgot about it.

I'm trying to find a good way to teach French to Bryan. Would you have any ideas?

Not even married yet and she's already trying to change her man :lol:

... Of course if you set a reward system for his good efforts then he will be quite motivated to learn. It's an easier language to speak than to read (at least that's my take).

I'm not trying to change him, I'm just trying to make our life easier :) and funnier :) it would be great to be able to talk a language that no-one around us would understand.

And he knows he will have to learn at one point, because when we have kids, they will speak both languages. So, it's better if their dad can tell when they are insulting him ;)

I thought about the reward system. I think I'm going to think about it more, it could be a good way to do it ;)

I know that learning French is quite difficult (more difficult than learning English). And I think he knows it too. And Rachel, you are right, when you can't practice you forget how to use it. Last year we broke up for several months (won't go into details, I'm glad we realized we needed each others so much!) and when we first started to talk via the webcam and microphone I was scared I would not be able to understand what he says! but it worked perfectly :lol:

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
Hehe. Hmm, what could you do? Does he know any French at all? I was wondering if you could do something like write e-mails in both French and English, or maybe compile a small vocabulary list for him, or start off with a very few words - for example, getting him to greet you in French and say goodnight in French?

He knows how to say hello, goodnight, I love you, yes, no, my name is Bryan, what's your name. that's a good start :)

I don't know if it is just me, but I have real difficulty distinguishing distinct sounds in spoken languages, even sometimes in English. I watched anime regularly for years in the original Japanese language and picked up maybe one or two words. Other people picked up whole phrases! I've always found writing and reading easier.

It is not just you. Writing and reading is so much easier than understand what people say! I met some people in the USA that I couldn't understand (but Bryan said it's because they didn't speak good English). It's probably easier now, after spending so much time together, and it will be easier after more months in the USA. but it's quite scary to go to a country where I can only understand half of the people! :P

So maybe I'm going to start typing some of my emails in both languages, and then ask him to make small sentences (with the words I'll have explained in my emails) and if it's correct there will be a reward :):P

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

[quote name='aravis227' date='May 23 2008, 05:40 PM' post='1865839'

Yep, thanks Aravis! Rosetta Stone was the name of the CD room I was talking about!

It is a little expensing, but if motivated, really helpful! ;)

I sometimes wonder why I'm marrying an American. All my kids will be able to speak is English and bastardized English. :P

I know what I immediately thought of when I read 'reward system'. :devil:

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline
I sometimes wonder why I'm marrying an American. All my kids will be able to speak is English and bastardized English. :P

We probably all thought of the same thing ;)

Your children will be lost! should they use "theatre" or "theater"? "learnt" or "learned"? at least mine will have two completely different languages :P

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Yep, thanks Aravis! Rosetta Stone was the name of the CD room I was talking about!

It is a little expensing, but if motivated, really helpful! ;)

"motivated" being the important part! I have it and what languages do you think I speak? English and....English. :lol:

Your children will be lost! should they use "theatre" or "theater"? "learnt" or "learned"? at least mine will have two completely different languages :P

My opinion? "theater" is where you see movies, "theatre" is where you see plays, operas, or ballets...at least, that's how I use them. :) I don't think I've ever used "learnt"...

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

It is not just you. Writing and reading is so much easier than understand what people say! I met some people in the USA that I couldn't understand (but Bryan said it's because they didn't speak good English). It's probably easier now, after spending so much time together, and it will be easier after more months in the USA. but it's quite scary to go to a country where I can only understand half of the people! :P

So maybe I'm going to start typing some of my emails in both languages, and then ask him to make small sentences (with the words I'll have explained in my emails) and if it's correct there will be a reward :):P

It must be very scary! I am so grateful that I will not encounter a language barrier; although I still frustrate Alex by making him order things for me in shops.

And that sounds like a plan; good luck! :thumbs:

I am not always good at speaking English myself. Accents aside, I stammer sometimes and say 'um' a lot. When I write I can revise what I have written and make amendments if necessary. I day-dream a lot and when I am speaking my mind often wanders and I end up breaking off mid-sentence because I have completely forgotten what I was talking about!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

may i ask...after getting the NOA2..i heard couples who called NVC to check if they've received the application from csc..

how's that? when we should call and what number? do you know guys? especially those who've been approved already.

can anyone share their experience with it.

tnx in advance!

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Timeline

I'm leaving work now, it's the weekend :)

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

I know! I know most of the obvious ones but I keep finding differences that surprise me. For example: Canceled vs. cancelled, or silicone sealant = caulking.

Also, I've learned not to use 'learnt' or 'dreamt' or 'whilst' too often online because some Americans see this as a form of 'pretentiousness'. :wacko: Likewise using 'cinema' instead of 'theater'.

Alex helps, though. :P For example:

Me: I am cutting shapes out of aluminium foil.

Alex: What?

Me: I'm cutting shapes out of aluminium foil.

Alex: What do you mean?

Me: I'm sorry, I'm cutting shapes out of a-loo-min-um foil.

Alex: See, I knew you'd get there eventually!

He's terrible!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually I was thinking of Cecile walking around with a pocket full of crackers- and whenever Bryan used a word correctly, she could flip him a little treat.......what were you guys implying :innocent:

The reason why I say to focus on the spoken rather than the written at this point is that unless he intends to walk around with a dictionary all the time it will not be very practical for daily activity. My sister and her husband, who have just moved to Belgium, started speaking french to each other about 5 years ago, and really made it an enjoyable activity in their daily lives. Because they were able to laugh their way through the process, learning was not viewed by them as a task. Now they are both relatively fluent. The ear can certainly be trained - I'm reminded of Spanish classes I took, the first week everything sounded like dadadada-dadadada-dadadrrrrrrrdadadada-dada, but shortly thereafter I could distinguish individual words. I worked for a French comapny as well and learned some of the language for that - same process. Bryan will probably not be communicating by writing but by speaking, and in order to speak well you have to be able to hear the spoken language.

Edited by BlakeandOlha

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

I know! I know most of the obvious ones but I keep finding differences that surprise me. For example: Canceled vs. cancelled, or silicone sealant = caulking.

Also, I've learned not to use 'learnt' or 'dreamt' or 'whilst' too often online because some Americans see this as a form of 'pretentiousness'. :wacko: Likewise using 'cinema' instead of 'theater'.

He's terrible!

Dennis and I were talking one time while I was in my kitchen and we had this conversation:

Him: Do you have a garburator?

me: a what?

him: ...a garburator?

me: ...what?

him: That thing in your sink that grinds up food

me: Ohhhh...a garbage disposal!

This whole different words thing is fun. :)

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

He's terrible!

We all know the English can't spell correctly, nor can they follow simple vowel-consonant-vowel conventions :P - and I think that using words like "whilst" are quite in keeping with your accent, and very cute - don't stop doing that :D Note, that if an American would say those words too often (notice you do not pronounce the "t" in american english) then they would be viewed less favorably.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Timeline
Note, that if an American would say those words too often (notice you do not pronounce the "t" in american english) then they would be viewed less favorably.

Depends which Americans! I've heard 'often' with the 't' pronounced and without it, in the same city!

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.