terryn

Illegal Immigrants.....Unfair

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Africa
Timeline

We know this guy (from South Africa) that was in New York on a work Visa that Expired on 10/12/07....He meet a girl from Long Island 2 months before the expiration of his visa, and got her to marry him on 10/28/07 just before the Work Visa expired....He is now living in the girls parents house and working on Long Island...The parents do not even know they are married...They are planning a big Wedding in September 2008......Now tell me...HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE....why do all of us have to go thur this HELL....and he is sitting pretty in New York Laughing at us,all the time and money we are spending....How can he stay in New York on Expired Visa? How can he Work?.....This is not fair....he only married the girl so he did not have to leave....they only knew each other 8 weeks....I just do not know how this is possible!!!!!

Based on what you've just recounted, there is nothing "illegal" about what this person has done....he came on a legal work visa....met a USC and got married. If he has applied for AOS, based on his marriage to the USC, and has received his EAD, then he is working with legal authorization....you didn't mention that, so I'm not sure where the legality stands vis-a-vis this guy working. It is just conjecture on your part that

he only married the girl so he did not have to leave

Or do you have concrete information that this was strictly a marriage entered into for immigration benefits? Given that the girl's family is planning a big wedding....it does not sound like a fraudulent marriage, but if you have information to the opposite....perhaps you should enlighten the duped USC as to the truth. Otherwise....its just a case of c'est la vie!

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm not really sure how the uscis will view the marriage since he was out of statis when he married her, however I have heard of worse situations with the ending story being the alien was allowed to stay and adjust statis.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
We know this guy (from South Africa) that was in New York on a work Visa that Expired on 10/12/07....He meet a girl from Long Island 2 months before the expiration of his visa, and got her to marry him on 10/28/07 just before the Work Visa expired....He is now living in the girls parents house and working on Long Island...The parents do not even know they are married...They are planning a big Wedding in September 2008......Now tell me...HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE....why do all of us have to go thur this HELL....and he is sitting pretty in New York Laughing at us,all the time and money we are spending....How can he stay in New York on Expired Visa? How can he Work?.....This is not fair....he only married the girl so he did not have to leave....they only knew each other 8 weeks....I just do not know how this is possible!!!!!

I perfectly understand how you feel.But it seems to me as if this man was just at the right place at the right time and got lucky.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Heh, I met this French girl last year before I was married who was teling me how she cheated the system by coming over on a travel visa and getting married, lying to CIS about her intentions. She was trying to talk me into doing the same thing with my wife and I was like NO WAY!

No one has seen her at work in a few months...I wonder if she was deported :innocent:

Stephen

~~~~~~~~~~~

Filed: Timeline
I'm not really sure how the uscis will view the marriage since he was out of statis when he married her, however I have heard of worse situations with the ending story being the alien was allowed to stay and adjust statis.

I believe overstay and other things are pardoned through marriage to a USC and adjustment of status. I second what Paula&Minya said: there does not seem to be anything illegal here.

Timeline

I believe overstay and other things are pardoned through marriage to a USC and adjustment of status. I second what Paula&Minya said: there does not seem to be anything illegal here.

So why did we just waste 5 months of our lives waiting for a K1 Visa if we could have just stayed in the US and it is legal and there would be no problem...Why is everyone getting K1 visa's if we do not need too :help:

So why did we just waste 5 months of our lives waiting for a K1 Visa if we could have just stayed in the US and it is legal and there would be no problem...Why is everyone getting K1 visa's if we do not need too :help:

Hey, it's not my fault terryn, no need to be rude. I feel your pain.

Timeline

Hey, it's not my fault terryn, no need to be rude. I feel your pain.

I'm sorry, I did mean to be rude...I just can not stand this waiting anymore.....we have been just waiting for an interview date with Johannesburg for over a month now...and they still do not have any April dates.....and March was full......I did realize that we could have just got married before my fiancee's work visa expired and then just get a AOS....he prbably would have had it by now!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

The whole thing with adjusting from other visa types is the INTENT. If one can honestly proof there was no intent to marry on a B2 or other visa

then it does work but if the INTENT was there and it is lied about then it does become visa fraud.

Hang in there, it takes a long time but you are doing what is right and can sleep at night knowing you did it the right way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I totally agree with Omoba. The time is hard now, but in a few years time, your mind will be clear because you did what was right. That is God's way.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
I totally agree with Omoba. The time is hard now, but in a few years time, your mind will be clear because you did what was right. That is God's way.

Thanks!!!

The whole thing with adjusting from other visa types is the INTENT. If one can honestly proof there was no intent to marry on a B2 or other visa

then it does work but if the INTENT was there and it is lied about then it does become visa fraud.

Hang in there, it takes a long time but you are doing what is right and can sleep at night knowing you did it the right way.

Thanks

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

This whole thing is very unffair, but what´s important is that we´re doing what´s right! Doing all the legal paperwork, without worrying.

Anyways... I´d like to tell a friend´s story and see what you guys think she should do ( in my opinion she is crazy...)

This friend I know came to the US on a tourist visa to get married to an ILLEGAL imigrant from El Salvador. Now , her tourist will expire in 15 days and she asked me for help... SHe wants to change her visa for a student visa, but she needs a sponsor ( her husband can´t be, because he is illegal...). Anyways, I told her she should go back to her country before the problem gets worse, stay here illegal like her husband... But she refuses to go back.

You guys know some similar story?

Sorry for this crazy story, but I just want to show her that things are not as simple as she thinks.

This whole thing is very unffair, but what´s important is that we´re doing what´s right! Doing all the legal paperwork, without worrying.

Anyways... I´d like to tell a friend´s story and see what you guys think she should do ( in my opinion she is crazy...)

This friend I know came to the US on a tourist visa to get married to an ILLEGAL imigrant from El Salvador. Now , her tourist will expire in 15 days and she asked me for help... SHe wants to change her visa for a student visa, but she needs a sponsor ( her husband can´t be, because he is illegal...). Anyways, I told her she should go back to her country before the problem gets worse, stay here illegal like her husband... But she refuses to go back.

Sorry for this crazy story, but I just want to show her that things are not as simple as she thinks.

Umm....has this friend of yours been accepted into some program of study for her to be eligible for a student visa? If she is accepted to an accredited university for a course of study, I don't think such a thing as a sponsor is needed.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Umm....has this friend of yours been accepted into some program of study for her to be eligible for a student visa? If she is accepted to an accredited university for a course of study, I don't think such a thing as a sponsor is needed.

-P

PLUS to qualify for a student visa, you need to provide proof of savings/income, and like Paula&Minya said, letter of acceptance to an accredited higher education institution. not as easy as pie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.