rkapur

Need help and advice... Should I go for K3 or stay put with I-130?

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Did you know that there was 13 I129F VJ user petitions approved with a NOA1 date of August? You must be wondering why other people are getting approved with an approved I130 petition? The last one documented on VJ was on FEb 16th.

Still... the govt is doing nothing illegal. I'm not sure what we can sue them about.

Lurking,

I dont recall anyone ever saying that USCIS stopped processing K3s. I remember a lot of people shared they're experiences of their K3s being cancelled.

I remember a lot of people asking for advice on what to do and a lot of other people responded that it is not advisable to file K3.

That's all it is advises. People can still file K3 and no one here is trying to stop them.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Because they are changing the rules of a game that has already started.

I don't know about the law in the US, but in my country, the government wouln't dare do disrespect us like that, because we'd unleash the ###### fury on them.

It's actually surprising to me that US citizens, who have a bit of a fame of just starting law suits over anything are just taking this from USCIS with their heads down, without any warning, justifications or even an official comment on it. They are causing a drastic change in the process and leaving everyone without knowing what's going on. It's absurd.

I think this is blatant disrespect to US citizens and their spouses, and when (if) they do this to us, we're ###### sueing them.

Because we know they're sneaky and many of us suspect they are vindictive. These are our families we're risking. Many people don't want to draw attention to themselves. Who knows what could happen...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I don't see your case as falling under either the "hold the I-130" or "administratively cancel the I-129F the day the I-130 is approved" scenarios. Your case is different in that your I-129F receipt date falls after your I-130 was approved. If USCIS follows their own long standing procedures, they will reject your I-129F on the basis you don't have an I-130 pending.

I'm not here to tell you what you want to hear. I'm here to tell you what I think you need to hear. At the same time, I wish you luck with both petitions. The decisions are yours. If I'm right, it doesn't matter how you deal with USCIS after the fact, the damage will have been done. No turning back the clock.

Pushbrk , long standing procedures? Oh where are these procedure written? Because I have only recently read people stating that there I129f was administratively closed. My I130 being approved is not a common occurrence, because my I129f was not there to be approved at the time my I130. If my lawyer was not paid to delay sending my I129f late, my husband would have been home at Christmas 2007. This is not the norm for someone to submit a I129f petition two months after an I130. I have seen now 4 cases that have been approved after the I130 was approved.

You are telling people that after July 07 the k3 is no good. That is inaccurate and uninformed information. I showed you were 13 petition with i129f noa1 in August have been approved. So you are giving new member in accurate information. Choosing to admin close some and approve others is a "long standing" term in America called Discrimination. Unfortunately, it still exist in America, but it is illegal.

I might be under different circumstance, but my k3 will be approved too.

Even if they do close it,which I doubt, I know have the interpersonal & communication skill to get them to approve the petition.

Apple pie:

I-130 is filed with service center

I-129F is filed with NBC (MSC) within a month or two

Petitions are adjudicated at separate centers independantly

Each is approved independantly, both are sent to NVC and beyond and they race to the Consulate

If K3 interview is before I-130 arrives, K3 wins the horse race, or CR1/IR1 does as the case may be

Apples:

I-130 is filed followed by the I-129F within a month or too

Both petitions connected and approved same day

I-130 held and I-129F goes to NVC and beyond

Grapefruit:

I-130 is filed followed by the I-129F within a month or too

Both petitions connected and approved same day

I-130 goes to NVC and I-129F is adminstratively cancelled

Grape Juice:

I-130 is filed and approved before I-129F is filed

I-130 goes to NVC and beyond and I-129F is rejected

Apple pie stop being served after the November 2006 memo. http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

Raw apples took the place of sweet apple pie

Recently we've seen several reports that grapefruit has replaced apples on the menu for those making dinner reservations after July, 07 and dining in 2008.

Grape Juice is a long standing staple.

Grapefruit is really sour. It sucks but they seem to serve it anyway.

Please keep us informed of your I-129F's progress.

I suspect that when the grape juice arrives, you're going to wish you hadn't taken that I-130 out of NVC's oven.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
pushbrk you are giving out adamantly giving out false information. To tell me that I have no chance of getting the K3 was inconsiderate at best let alone inaccurate. We are here to share our experiences, but I do not believe this was yours. I can see you say you heard, but you have not seen.

First off, it has been common for them to approve both the petitions at the same time and store the I130 then forward the I129f to the NVC. I have seen more then ten cases that both petitions were approved together and they went the I129f. Hours of research in forums taking not of everyone’s timelines.

The Divine gave you examples of other people being approved. They cannot legally cancel a petition they offered me for any reason other then denying me. I will not let them get away with it if they do.

Things have been changing. Approving both petitions and holding the I-130 in K3 cases is the last announced official policy but we've been seeing a mostly consistent change in procedure over the past six or eight weeks, for I-129F for spouse filed after July.

Sometimes the best help we can give is to set appropriate expectations. It's medicine that doesn't always taste good but it's needed just the same.

I don't see your case as falling under either the "hold the I-130" or "administratively cancel the I-129F the day the I-130 is approved" scenarios. Your case is different in that your I-129F receipt date falls after your I-130 was approved. If USCIS follows their own long standing procedures, they will reject your I-129F on the basis you don't have an I-130 pending. In your case there's nothing you can do about your K3 case but wait but if you also fail to push your I-130 through NVC, I think you're going to be even more angry with your attorney than you are with the USCIS.

I'm not here to tell you what you want to hear. I'm here to tell you what I think you need to hear. At the same time, I wish you luck with both petitions. The decisions are yours. If I'm right, it doesn't matter how you deal with USCIS after the fact, the damage will have been done. No turning back the clock.

Technically my I129F was not "there" until after my I130 was approved.

I130 approved in July at VSC

I129F transferred from Missiouri to VSC in September

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant though, I did have a NOA1 from the I129F before the I130 Approval.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't see your case as falling under either the "hold the I-130" or "administratively cancel the I-129F the day the I-130 is approved" scenarios. Your case is different in that your I-129F receipt date falls after your I-130 was approved. If USCIS follows their own long standing procedures, they will reject your I-129F on the basis you don't have an I-130 pending.

Pushbrk , long standing procedures? Oh where are these procedure written? Because I have only recently read people stating that there I129f was administratively closed. My I130 being approved is not a common occurrence, because my I129f was not there to be approved at the time my I130. If my lawyer was not paid to delay sending my I129f late, my husband would have been home at Christmas 2007. This is not the norm for someone to submit a I129f petition two months after an I130. I have seen now 4 cases that have been approved after the I130 was approved.

You are telling people that after July 07 the k3 is no good. That is inaccurate and uninformed information. I showed you were 13 petition with i129f noa1 in August have been approved. So you are giving new member in accurate information. Choosing to admin close some and approve others is a "long standing" term in America called Discrimination. Unfortunately, it still exist in America, but it is illegal.

Even if they do close it,which I doubt, I know have the interpersonal & communication skill to get them to approve the petition.

OK...OK...if you think you'll get your K-3, good for you. I had my I-130 approved and they closed my I-129F. Why is this so, given your tirade that the K-3 is alive and well? According to you, I should be getting my K-3 anytime now. Maybe you'll be the rare exception but the majority of folks are not getting K-3 approved in recent months. I went to my Senator and his staffer called the Vermont USCIS about why K-3 were getting closed. The USCIS congressional liaison reply was that once the I-130 is approved and there is no fee paid for the I-129F, they close the K-3. Maybe that's not true, but it comes from the USCIS congressional liaison. Until the USCIS either reverts to processing ALL K-3s or officially stops them, people will have to make their own decisions...and take their chances.

Timeline

OK...OK...if you think you'll get your K-3, good for you. I had my I-130 approved and they closed my I-129F. Why is this so, given your tirade that the K-3 is alive and well? According to you, I should be getting my K-3 anytime now. Maybe you'll be the rare exception but the majority of folks are not getting K-3 approved in recent months. I went to my Senator and his staffer called the Vermont USCIS about why K-3 were getting closed. The USCIS congressional liaison reply was that once the I-130 is approved and there is no fee paid for the I-129F, they close the K-3. Maybe that's not true, but it comes from the USCIS congressional liaison. Until the USCIS either reverts to processing ALL K-3s or officially stops them, people will have to make their own decisions...and take their chances.

My congressional liaison told me that too. They even went as far as to insist they were doing me a favor because the CR1 is a better visa and "faster" (faster to complete the whole process.. AOS included.. not time spent apart). I believed them. They were wrong.

Very true.. you have to make your own decisions and take your chances.

Asmo went for the CR1 when his I130 was approved. His I129F approval came too late, after they already were at the Embassy.

DaveJaz also went for the CR1 when his I130 was approved. His I129F came just in the knick of time.. just like me. Neither of us had completed the CR1 process at the NVC.. but we were close.

Timeline

My congressional liaison told me that too. They even went as far as to insist they were doing me a favor because the CR1 is a better visa and "faster" (faster to complete the whole process.. AOS included.. not time spent apart). I believed them. They were wrong.

Asmo went for the CR1 when his I130 was approved. His I129F approval came too late, after they already were at the Embassy.

DaveJaz also went for the CR1 when his I130 was approved. His I129F came just in the knick of time.. just like me. Neither of us had completed the CR1 process at the NVC.. but we were close.

The way I see it, you filed the I-129F in July and paid the fee for it, AND had a receipt date before your I-130 was approved. Based on what we are seeing, I would have expected your I-129F to be approved and forwarded to NVC. You were not in the "grapefruit" scenario. There's a rare other scenario, I'll call "peach pie". It goes like this.

I-130 and I-129F filed too far apart to get married, so you end up the same as apple pie put it tastes like peaches because there's no more apple pie.

Each are quite separate sets of circumsttances and must be viewed as such to make any sense at all, even the combinations that don't make sense.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The way I see it, you filed the I-129F in July and paid the fee for it, AND had a receipt date before your I-130 was approved. Based on what we are seeing, I would have expected your I-129F to be approved and forwarded to NVC. You were not in the "grapefruit" scenario. There's a rare other scenario, I'll call "peach pie". It goes like this.

I-130 and I-129F filed too far apart to get married, so you end up the same as apple pie put it tastes like peaches because there's no more apple pie.

Each are quite separate sets of circumsttances and must be viewed as such to make any sense at all, even the combinations that don't make sense.

So the basic jist is this: One can't really predict what is going to happen even if USCIS tells you what is going to happen. Because we just don't know what USCIS is actually going to do, and neither do they.

Edited by Divine Mercy

Timeline

So the basic jist is this: One can't really predict what is going to happen even if USCIS tells you what is going to happen. Because we just don't know what USCIS is actually going to do, and neither do they.

Pretty much, yeah. We just do the best we can to stay on top of what they most recently decide to do. I'm sure glad my wife arrived when apple pie was still on the menu. I'm not much liking the choices now. China timeline differences in K3 to CR1 were several months in the apple pie days and the CR1 timeline has, if anything, gotten longer.

My wife's sister is now corresonding with a USC. I don't know if anything will come of it or if so, whether they'll plan to marry in China or the USA but if they marry in China, I'd advise against filing the I-129F unless things change. By then, they probably will change again.

Part of this surely prompted by the ongoing turf war between USCIS and DOS. If USCIS simply approves and forwards I-130's then a lot of the work and associated expenses fall on DOS instead of USCIS. Maybe when they're caught up, hire the additional staff and the budget benefit of the higher fees kicks in, things will change again.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Question :

"Grape Juice:

I-130 goes to NVC and beyond and I-129F is rejected"

Does that rejection result into an automatic IR1/CR1 conversion?

I am not clear as to what happens after the "rejection". My I-130

got approved Sept 6, the I129-F was filed Sept 12, and nothing

yet has happened to that application.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Question :

"Grape Juice:

I-130 goes to NVC and beyond and I-129F is rejected"

Does that rejection result into an automatic IR1/CR1 conversion?

I am not clear as to what happens after the "rejection". My I-130

got approved Sept 6, the I129-F was filed Sept 12, and nothing

yet has happened to that application.

There's no conversion really.

IR1/CR1 is IR1/CR1. K3 is K3.

You cant file K3 without a pending IR1/CR1

If your IR1/CR1 is approved then there's no pending IR1/CR1 anymore. Hence K3 rejected.

I hope I didnt confuse the matter even more.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

That's wishful thinking hoping I am not more confused than ever.

So if the K3 is not yet approved it means the IR1/CR1 is pending?

If the K3 is rejected, then it means the IR1/CR1 will be approved?

Still would like to know what happens if the I-129F is rejected or

as they said here before administratively closed.

Am I too slow to get it or what?

Edited by YOUTOO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Youtoo,

I can understand why you are confused, because the information he is providing has not been documented anyplace. Until the USCIS states that thisis the policy do not listen to that information. They have been told this information from the USCIS, but people who have been "told" the same thing got approvals a couple months after.

here is some information that can be proven through the USCIS website and through documentation recieved by VJ members.

IF you fallow the uscis directions and file where you need to in the right order your peitions will be approved together and your I129f will be fowarded to the NVC, while the I130 approved pettion will go into storage.

The I130 is a petition for a CR1 entry, which is for perminant residency. Just a year ago it took the USCIS almost a year to approve the petition so they rectaed the k3 visa. now to elimanate doing twice the work they are now putting the petitions together and approving them both at the same time. They will put you I130 petition in storage and forward your I129f/K3 on to the NVC then from the enbassy for the K3 Visa. if the oppiste happens as they say happend to them, no big deal you are on your way to the I130. It is only a big deal ifyou have an embassy that is difficult with long waiting periods for interviews.

The K3 /(I129f petition form) visa is simular to the K1 visa(fiance) and was created to allow a spouce entry to the us as a nonimmagrant to wait for the I130 approval.

There are pros and Cons to both depending on your embassy. If you want your SO here asap at no expense the I129f visa is the fastes. But she will not be able to work until you file an EAD , which allows her to work until you file AOD (adjustment of Status). These are peitions that will run you another $1000. If you do not mind your so not working for 3 months and the extra money go the I129f.

The I130 approval allows entry into the us with a temporary greencard. They can work when they get of the airplane, after two years of marriage your request to have the temp removed for a perminant ten year GC.

Time difference 129f/K3 uscis SAme amount as I130 NVC 2 -5 days Embassy to interview date 1-2 month (depends on embassy)

I130/cri UScis same NVC 2 months Embassy to interview 2-4 months till interview.

if you have a difficult embassy it is better to use the I129f because they know you are entering on a K3 visa as a non imagrant. you will have tto go to an AOS in the US that will handle your GC.

I hope that clear things up for you.

Take Care

That's wishful thinking hoping I am not more confused than ever.

So if the K3 is not yet approved it means the IR1/CR1 is pending?

If the K3 is rejected, then it means the IR1/CR1 will be approved?

Still would like to know what happens if the I-129F is rejected or

as they said here before administratively closed.

Am I too slow to get it or what?

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hmmm. I wonder then, why Brazilian are fleeing/migrating to the US by the thousands.

rich doesn't mean respectful, and poor doesn't mean disrespectful

we're a poor country, but we treat our citizens with respect

for every thousand of brazilians who leave, there is a million who want to stay

I think that sometimes people forget that there's always been a long line at INS/USCIS and that we chose to be on this line. When the line is not moving fast enough or people are not being processsed the way we like it, we b*tch.

Long lines and time waits have NOTHING to do with what we're discussing here. K3s are being canceled with no justification or official statement, and that is our complain.

I chose to be on this line UNDER A K3 APPLICATION, which was avaliable at the time I filed, and I damn well am going to make them process it.

I wonder if we are forgetting that our spouses are not citizens or residents of this nation. That marrying US citizens doesnt grant them automatic "right" for entry.

Everyone knows that. But what does that have to do with the fact that USCIS is acting in dishonest manner to the US citizens who are the actual applicants for these visas, and whose taxes pays their salaries?

Yes its hard to be separated from your spouse but I knew it will be a long process beofre I married her. I also dont like that my K3 got cancelled but Im still grateful that I could bring my wife over.

If you just sat on your hands when your k3 was cancelled, that's your own problem. Sheep.

The US govt is doing NOTHING illegal.

And I bet you voted for Bush, too.

dd/mmm/aaaa

05/jun/2007 - Got married

I-130

08/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet sent to NSC

09/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet received

19/sep/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

25/sep/2007 - NOA1 arrived

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-130 was approved in 258 days.

I-129F

09/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet sent to CSC

10/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet received

12/oct/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

20/oct/2007 - NOA1 received

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-129f was approved in 197 days.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

20/JUN/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS

18/mar/2009 - Packet delivered

24/mar/2009 - NOA for AOS and EAD date

25/mar/2009 - Check cashed

15/apr/2009 - Biometrics done

22/may/2009 - EAD approved

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

and between grapefruits and apple pies, we're left with one big confusing scenario full of exceptions and particularities, in which we can't predict one damn thing, and have nothing but our own speculations

dd/mmm/aaaa

05/jun/2007 - Got married

I-130

08/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet sent to NSC

09/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet received

19/sep/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

25/sep/2007 - NOA1 arrived

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-130 was approved in 258 days.

I-129F

09/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet sent to CSC

10/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet received

12/oct/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

20/oct/2007 - NOA1 received

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-129f was approved in 197 days.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

20/JUN/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS

18/mar/2009 - Packet delivered

24/mar/2009 - NOA for AOS and EAD date

25/mar/2009 - Check cashed

15/apr/2009 - Biometrics done

22/may/2009 - EAD approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.