ALES

Sending the originals with ds-230

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

thanks to some VJ'rs I figured what needs to be sent with ds-230 form. Don't get me wrong, I am ok with providing whatever needed to get visa for my husband, but I soo don't feel like sending the originals of the " hard to get" documents. For example, it's such a ridiculously long process to get police certificates from some countries that god forbids NVC looses the original and embassy at the interview request the original "what one should do?!"

Did anybody tried sending copies of some of the "hard to get documents' instead of the originals?

Embassy where my husband will have the interview is Appointment Processing.

Please share you inputs and experiances with originals vs. copies with DS230.

I am just trying to prepare ahead of time and of course I am so anxious to finally have my husband here.

I wish to all of you guys and me , easy and stress-less journey.

Hi guys,

thanks to some VJ'rs I figured what needs to be sent with ds-230 form. Don't get me wrong, I am ok with providing whatever needed to get visa for my husband, but I soo don't feel like sending the originals of the " hard to get" documents. For example, it's such a ridiculously long process to get police certificates from some countries that god forbids NVC looses the original and embassy at the interview request the original "what one should do?!"

Did anybody tried sending copies of some of the "hard to get documents' instead of the originals?

I am just trying to prepare ahead of time and of course I am so anxious to finally have my husband here.

I wish to all of you guys and me ïŠ, easy and stress-less journey.

I have a feeling that now in appointment processing you have to send the originals of the documents requested. I am ordering two or more of all the documents - even though it's costing more money each time. For example - I have three certified copies of the marriage certificate. Three long form birth certificates etc. I when I come to ordering the police certificate I will order two / maybe three at the same time. It means we can send one to NVC and then both my husband and I can hold on to one of the spares each. So he has one for quickly sending again to NVC if they lose the first one. And I have one for the interview if they lose one. Probably over cautious but I'm a bit like that!

Edited by lsma

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi guys,

I have a feeling that now in appointment processing you have to send the originals of the documents requested. I am ordering two or more of all the documents - even though it's costing more money each time. For example - I have three certified copies of the marriage certificate. Three long form birth certificates etc. I when I come to ordering the police certificate I will order two / maybe three at the same time. It means we can send one to NVC and then both my husband and I can hold on to one of the spares each. So he has one for quickly sending again to NVC if they lose the first one. And I have one for the interview if they lose one. Probably over cautious but I'm a bit like that!

you DONT have to send any important certificates , a simple copy is good enough , they will ask for any original cert at the interview , DO NOT SEND THE ORIGINAL :)

Hi guys,

you DONT have to send any original important certificates , a simple copy is good enough , they will ask for any original cert at the interview , DO NOT SEND THE ORIGINAL :)

SORRY HAD TO CORRECT THAT , ( DONT SEND ANY ORIGINAL , JUST MAIL A SIMPLE COPY )

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Hi guys,

you DONT have to send any original important certificates , a simple copy is good enough , they will ask for any original cert at the interview , DO NOT SEND THE ORIGINAL :)

SORRY HAD TO CORRECT THAT , ( DONT SEND ANY ORIGINAL , JUST MAIL A SIMPLE COPY )

Actually for some countries - and I know that the UK is one of these - you now DO have to send the ORIGINALS or CERTIFIED COPY plus a simple photocopy to NVC. This has been a recent change. Please see this from the DOS website:

(Although I only know that this applies definitely for the CR1/IR1 visa - I am not sure what happens if you are K3 - perhaps someone else can help with that)

Appointment NVC Processing

Document Requirements

The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

Birth Certificate

Court and Prison Records

Deportation Documentation

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Termination Documentation

Military Records

Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page

Police Certificate(s)

All documents that pertain to the applicant’s petition are required, even if they were previously submitted to the CIS with the applicant’s petition.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Check whether this applies to your country here

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3176.html

Edited by lsma

send only copies unless they ask for the originals.

If possible get extra copies of originals.

Your are right, if they lose it, your in deep ..........

:thumbs:

Some of us doing the CR1 visa do NOT have the option of only sending copies - please see my post above re NVC instructions. Some applicants from certain countries now HAVE to send the originals at the NVC stage. We are supposed to get those originals back at the interview.

Because of this it does make a lot of sense to get extra certified copies of the original certificates. In the UK my marriage cert (the one I was given on the day of the wedding) is IDENTICAL to the two certified copies I received last month. I'll be upset if they lose any of my docs but I am prepared with extra certified copies of the originals just in case.

This may be very different if you are doing K1 or K3 but it appears from their timeline the OP is going ahead with CR1/IR1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I have done same thing like Isma. With CR/IR NVC requires originals or cert. copies issued by government entity. I don't know if people working at NVC realize that in Poland notary public is the government entity, so I send originals with translation. Another set of originals is safe with me.

As soon I learned our I-130 got to NVC, I collected everything and I sent to my husband one set and 3x filled DS230 with my signature.

I am actually doing cr1/ir1. So i guess I will send the original and put big red color sticker saying" DON'T YOU DARE LOSING THIS ORIGINAL!!" :)

Joking....

Thanks guys, such a nice community.

Take care

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am actually doing cr1/ir1. So i guess I will send the original and put big red color sticker saying" DON'T YOU DARE LOSING THIS ORIGINAL!!" :)

Joking....

Take care

Hi Ales,

I think it was confusing because your information says you are applying for a K3, not a CR1.

Anyway, yes, as has already been stated you do need to send the originals. You should get all the originals back - except - the police certificates, the consulate will keep these.

My Husband had his interview in Montreal last Tuesday, we sent three original documents to NVC, besides the police certificates - his birth certificate, our marriage certificate and my divorce certificate.

They only one returned at the interview was his birth certificate. The CO said at the interview the documents would be returned with the visa mail out. We received that yesterday - no documents returned.

Now, we do have the 'brown envelope' which contains all the info/documents the he will present at the border when we move to the U.S., whether they will return the other two at that time or not, I don't know (but I doubt it).

NVC now requires that you send a photo copy along with each original - MAYBE this means they will return the originals.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is don't count on getting them back at the interview and occasionally NVC does lose documents, as someone already mentioned, you might want to order a copy for yourself while you are getting them (like the police certificates for example, if you are really concerned about it).

Edited by trailmix

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi,

You can send certified notarised copies of the orignals. Notarised copies are as good as orignals.

Please take the orignals with you for the interview

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
hi,

You can send certified notarised copies of the orignals. Notarised copies are as good as orignals.

Jigi

I had concern about sending originals and spoke with nvc...they must be originals or certified copies just as the website says under appointment processing instructions, not notarized copies.

hi,

Jigi

they told me all originals will be at the embassy for interview...no more vfs

06/11/2007 Married

07/23/2007 Sent I-130 (priority date)

08/02/2007 NOA-1

12/21/2007 Approval (checked online)Merry Christmas

12/26/2007 NAO-2 postmarked

NVC

01/07/2008 NVC received case number assigned

01/28/2008 NVC generates and mails DS-3032 and AOS bill

01/29/2008 (DS-3032 request emailed by husband and fee paid using James shortcuts)

02/01/2008 AOS fee bill received by NVC

02/05/2008 I-864 packet generated (called NVC for this information)

02/09/2008 mailed I-864 packet priority mail

02/11/2008 IV Fee bill generated and paid IV bill using experimental shortcut

02/19/2008 recieved IV fee bill

03/24/2008 DS-230 generated (NVC operator informed me)

04/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE/ interview date JUNE 6th

06/06/2008 AP

12/15/2008 case returned for further review

10/01/2009 USCIS REAFFIRMS APPROVAL CASE SENT TO DOS

11/09/2009 CASE BACK IN CHENNAI

12/10/2009 2ND INTERVIEW rescheduled twice, now Feb. 12th 2010

02/19/2010 Passport with IR-1 visa recieved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

ALES - my intention is not to making you worry.

With recent Kosovo case, and you probably uderstand that Bosnia-Hercegovina is also only formally one country and there is this huge separatist tendency. Who knows how it will end, why don't you write to NVC that is danger time for your husband. They should be able provide fast service.

Good luck

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Joking....

Take care

Be careful---your red sticky will also be there when the consular officer reviews the documents at interview. Then the question could come up, "Why would it be such a problem for you if we lost this document?"

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline
They only one returned at the interview was his birth certificate. The CO said at the interview the documents would be returned with the visa mail out. We received that yesterday - no documents returned.

You can either go back to embassy and demand they open the envelope and replace it with a copy and re-seal the envelope, or you could get new originals now before you leave for USA, or you could do the more risky approach (but by no means fraudulent) and open the envelope and replace them with copies yourself, and if the POE asks why it was opened, you tell them why (because the consulate basically told you to do so when they said you would get them back with your visa but sealed them in the envelope) so you had no choice but to break the envelope seal to get them back.

Edited by Chris Parker

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline

Only if notaries in your country are allowed to certify copies. In most countries they are allowed to do so, unlike in U.S.A. where in most states they are not allowed to do so (we have notary publics in U.S.A., not civil notaries like most countries have).

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.