Kathleen

Question about consulates...

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum... I met my Nigerian fiance in Kenya in 2005, where we were both attending university. We are about to submit the I-129F and all supporting documents... my fiance is still living in Kenya and will most likely be there for a few more months. He's miserable there though, and is considering moving back to Nigeria after a few months. However, he will only move back there if he has an opportunity, a job or so on. My question is this: when we submit the application, it will list his present address as Kenya and specify Nairobi as the consulate which will receive our case and conduct his interview; what if he has to move back to Nigeria in the middle of all this? Is it difficult, or even possible, to change his information before the application is approved? Is it likely to cause significant delays? I live in California, so I get the impression it's going to be slow going either way, I don't want to hold things up more than absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to all you waiting :)

-Kat

K-1 Timeline

Sent in I-129F to CSC: 02-29-2008

NOA-1: 03-03-2008

Touched: 07-15-2008 (called)

NOA-2:07/23/2008

Interview:11/06/2008!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Better to file your application with an address that is the most likely of places where your fiance will be. It's a judgement call on your part if you aren't sure what your fiance's plans are. How can we advice you if we don't know where he'll be??? But simplicity sake, do try to pick one address and not change it later...It may cause delays in your application.

Secondly, be aware that later in the forms, your fiance will need to provide police clearance certificates for any country he has lived in for more than 6 months. So he should be sure to get police clearance now before he leaves school and goes back to Nigeria.

Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Welcome to VJ ;)

If your fiance moves during the process you can request that your approved petition be sent to Lagos. I know that people have requested a change of consulate after approval but I am not sure about before approval.

Before your fiance moves, make sure he gets a police certificate from Kenya like Nutty said. Sometimes getting them when you have left the country is a headache like no other.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.