shikarnov

Discrepancy

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Greetings All,

As I prepare to send Ira her docs for the the coming interview next month, I noticed something...

On her G-325A, she listed the address at which she'd been registered in her hometown of Kinishma, Ivanovo. However, her most recent job was in Ivanovo, Ivanovo. At the time we were filling out the docs, our attorney advised us only to list residences where she was registered (he was worried about problems with the Russian authorities)...

So, now I'm freaking out a bit. I can imagine the interviewer asking: "So you worked in Ivanovo, but lived in Kinishma. Commuting to work each day doesn't seem to be a staple of Russian life -- so how do you explain this?"

Do y'all think they're even likely to mention this? Any advice on how to explain it (without getting a big fat "denied" stamped on her application)? I don't want her to lie to the interviewer, but I also don't want to have them delay her entry over what amounts to a clerical mistake.

Any ideas at all?

Z

Edited by shikarnov

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Greetings All,

As I prepare to send Ira her docs for the the coming interview next month, I noticed something...

On her G-325A, she listed the address at which she'd been registered in her hometown of Kinishma, Ivanovo. However, her most recent job was in Ivanovo, Ivanovo. At the time we were filling out the docs, our attorney advised us only to list residences where she was registered (he was worried about problems with the Russian authorities)...

So, now I'm freaking out a bit. I can imagine the interviewer asking: "So you worked in Ivanovo, but lived in Kinishma. Commuting to work each day doesn't seem to be a staple of Russian life -- so how do you explain this?"

Do y'all think they're even likely to mention this? Any advice on how to explain it (without getting a big fat "denied" stamped on her application)? I don't want her to lie to the interviewer, but I also don't want to have them delay her entry over what amounts to a clerical mistake.

Any ideas at all?

Z

Hmm, from what I've seen from the interview transcripts that people have posted, this doesn't seem like the kind of question they'd ask... i don't think they're concerned with the intricacies of Russian residency laws, I think they just want to know that she's not trying to scam her way into a green card.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Yeah, from everything that's been reported here, even if they did ask the question (which seems unlikely) she should just tell them the truth. The consulate isn't interested in enforcing Russian law, and they know how things work in Russia, so it's really not a problem at all.

She should answer that question if asked as "I didnt live there longer than 6 months."

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: Timeline
She should answer that question if asked as "I didnt live there longer than 6 months."

Only if that's a truthful answer. Again, the consulate isn't interested (or even qualified) in enforcing Russian residency laws. Lying to the consulate about residency would be a much bigger red flag than being truthful about living somewhere while not being registered.

Why not just explain, if asked, that she listed the official "registered" residence but really lived in Ivanovo which is an X hour drive from there?

BTW strange lawyer. If I followed an advice like that, I would have had to list my "residence" in Novosibirsk in parallel with several years of working in Moscow. Long commute eh?

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Only if that's a truthful answer. Again, the consulate isn't interested (or even qualified) in enforcing Russian residency laws. Lying to the consulate about residency would be a much bigger red flag than being truthful about living somewhere while not being registered.

I understand what you are saying, and like you believe that telling the truth is the right thing, but they also are not equipped to find out if she did in fact live there longer than 6 months. In the instructions for the G-325A and for the police certificate, it makes no distinction between registered and unregistered. The rules are the same for the police certificate and G-325A for all benificiaries from all countries. If you follow the letter of the law wrt the instructions, if she lives somewhere, registered or not, for longer than 6 months, she is required to get a certificate from that locale. They can not possibly find out if you lived somewhere other than where you are/were registered. You can only complicate the situation by saying "oh, I only got certificates from where I was registered, but I lived in this other place too". If you get a consular officer who is a stickler for detail, that is grounds for additional months of waiting for a new police report to be submitted. You are far better off not complicating the situation by just saying "I didnt live there for 6 months."

IMHO

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm with Kirk. The Embassy is only concerned about the impact situations bear on immigration to the U.S. They have no interest in Russian legalities that do not affect the visa process.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

You are supposed to answer the question based on where you actually lived.

You have to get proper police certificates covering where she actually lived, ignoring the Russian registration system (which was ruled unconstitutional in 1991-92 but continues nevertheless).

At the interview, if asked about residences, she can tell them where she actually lived. The application can be corrected at that point.

The lawyer might have told you do otherwise presuming you won't be able to get police certificates from other than where she was registered. That might be good advice if it turns out to be true, but you still could explain instead why the police certificate is unobtainable and get it waived. The rule is not to "willfully misrepresent a material fact."

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

This is why I always say, "Fire your lawyer."

VJ will get the job done!

And she should be truthful. They don't care either way. Have her go in with the knowledge of what she listed and where she actually lived and why she did what she did but from what you're posting above, it doesn't sound like anything's wrong anyway. So she lived in one place and was registered another? So what.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think the problem most people are having in this issue is boils down to this:

1. Do I mentioned every place I lived in Russia even if I was registered there to the US folks?

2. Will the Russian folks withhold or even issue my police certificate and/or fine me for requesting a police certificate for places I have lived where I was never registered?

By answering truthfully to (1) as you should (US folks have no interest in upholding Russian laws); you open the great unknown which is (2). I have no answer or comment as to (2),

2. Will the Russian folks withhold or even issue my police certificate and/or fine me for requesting a police certificate for places I have lived where I was never registered?

The police certificate is issued by a govt structure that has not seen your G-325A information. They issue a clearance based on the registered addresses you provide directly to them, and the certificate states that the records were obtained for the entire territory of Russia, without listing specific towns or addresses. The Embassy accepts this formula no problem.

Therefore, one should list actual residences on G-325A and provide "registered" addresses to the ИЦ ГУВД and have no worries about the discrepancy.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Greetings All,

Any ideas at all?

Z

Don't worry about it, my fiancee had listed Ivanovo as the city she lived at till 2004 and listed Fryazino as the city she worked at since 2001 (She copied the info from her internal passport as well). At the interview they didn't ask anything about this and gave her the visa no prob. In the unlikely event they do ask about it, I would say the truth as to why it was written that way.

(I will update my timeline as well as write an interview review in a few days, have been really busy preparing for her arrival:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I've gotta agree with my boys here in the Russia forum. Its probably not a big deal at all. And it can be easily explained at the interview if the question comes up. be honest, and at worst they might delay the actual issuance of the visa until the receive the needed documents. Don't stress about this.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Timeline
I've gotta agree with my boys here in the Russia forum. Its probably not a big deal at all. And it can be easily explained at the interview if the question comes up. be honest, and at worst they might delay the actual issuance of the visa until the receive the needed documents. Don't stress about this.

Now dangit, is this Jason or Sasha? :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.