Kat And Russ

Can I have a vent....

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Man, this thread has me quite pizzed off at the b!tchfest going on...so here's my $1.57:

Kat, I'm sorry things seem so sh!tty for you lately :( I'm assuming you're having a problem with ins because you're looking for private insurance? I know how that can be! After my brain surgery, I had COBRA thru my ex's insurance after we divorced...well, once my COBRA ran out, AND with my doc medically discharging me as reaching MMR with normal results, I was rated thru the roof....many companies denied me. It's law that your COBRA has to offer you a transitional policy and cannot deny you once COBRA runs out, problem was, even them having all of my records and seeing that I had not been treated for years, they quoted me summat like over $800 a month just for me!

I did find a company that will insure me. I picked up a policy that has a $1000 deductible, but covers 100% afterwards. Women's health exams are not subject to deductible. It does NOT cover pregnancies though. $265 a month for me. The company is called Golden Rule.

I dunno how your immigrant status will or will not affect your eligibility.

Is the "overweight thing" specific to Florida? I've never heard of anyone in Indiana being turned down for health insurance because they were overweight....

I've had insurance at various times, and according to the charts, I'm almost 100 pounds overweight.

I'm thinking it's due to a health rating with private insurance.

:thumbs:

I suppose it would do if one still lived at home with mom and dad and had no real responsibilities.

I currently live at home, and I can tell you I have PLENTY of responsibilities! I think I know what you were getting at here, but I felt compelled to tell you that just because one lives at home does not make him/her 'without responsibilities'

A few other things:

Platy mentioned costs of living elsewhere BEFORE Kat mentioned her hubby's kids....so it was a valid and helpful idea. No one needs to get into a pizzing match over who makes what and how much the rent is. I think I know where K&R live generally, and it's not 'downtown Orlando' prices. So pls try not to judge.

Kat, if you want my opinion, I think you need to change jobs. I know you love your job, but you'd prolly be best off getting employed with a company who offers a group plan. It'll usually be WAYYYYYYYY cheaper for an individual plan than it would be for R to get one and then pay for married cover. Unless R gets a job at Publix cos they have GREAT insurance that's quite cheap to insure spouses. The pay is really quite nice for mgmt as well, but it's a lil tricky to get into.

It totally sucks, and I hope things get better for you. Insurance is so important, I know! I currently am working two full time jobs...one self employed, and one as an employee...so that I can get D insurance when he gets here. My private policy would go up $900 iirc to add him, and that's with no preg cover. And it is exhausting, but unfortunately, there's no other choice....

Good luck! It will get better!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just hoping to get Darren on my insurance when he gets here, but it will be expensive to do until he gets his EAD, and an additional salary is coming in...

I did ask my uncle, and his answer has been mirrored by everybody else...I wish I could be more help...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ok now im scared... my fiancee lives in florida, making 125% above the poverty level for 3 people while me on the other hand has a very comfortable life here in Philippines... special thanks to my parents. I am going to give up a comfortable life to be with him. I have asked him so many times to move here. But he asked me what is he gonna do here and I couldn't give him answers. I certainly can't ask him to work for my parents. So here I am...hoping for the best. After all, I still think where there is great love...there is great miracle.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Wow, Kat, have only just read this thread as I havent been on here much..( working 50 hours a week!!!.lol)

Sorry you are having a tough one, I can completely understand.

I love the US and my husband so please dont jump on me with " Well...f*** off back to England then!!!!"...lol

but life in the US is HARD.

Im working 2 jobs, getting in at 3 am and then up to do my day job, still having to ask my parents on a monthly basis for 'help', which without that we would be doomed.

Ive had two run in's with the police, 1 ticket for not having a liquor permit in my first job (my boss didnt tell me) and an arrest for driving without a licence ( I was told I was good on my UK one for a while, still my fault though!)

It gets better and better. My dreams of cosy nights in with my new hubby have been replaced with waiting tables

all night and arguments about money.

Oh bliss!!!!

I do love it here, but man, its tough!!

P.s Also I gained 25 pounds when I moved here last June, and its still nestling.

Im fat and tired..period..I mean, full stop.

All the best, youre not alone!!!

x Chloe

Edited by chloe

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Does anyone know how they go about obtaining your medical history? I mean when you move from the UK you don't have your records. Do the insurers send for them? Or do they just ask you to disclose information?

It seems weird if they can have access to your medical records when they are not medical practitioners.

I move in a weeks time and medical insurance is something I am starting to worry about. My SO has talked about putting me on his work insurance, but surely even they will want my history? It's all so strange to me...

Oh and i'm moving to Florida and i'm about 40 pounds overweight (but working on it!!)

5th February 2008 - I-129F forms sent for K1 visa (VSC)

26th March 2008 - NOA2 recieved via email

19th May 2008 - Interview............APPROVED!!!!!!

21st May 2008 - Visa in hand

29th July 2008 - POE

2nd September 2008 - Married

19th September - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

25th September - Check cashed $1010.00 (OUCH!!)

29th September - Received NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP

13th October - AOS Petition transferred to CSC!!!

17th October - Biometrics (Tampa Office)

17th October - AOS/EAD Touched

20th October - AOS Touched

21st October - AOS Touched

6th November - AOS/EAD/AP Touched (probably due to change of address)

10th December - EAD approved

28th January 2009 - GC approved without interview. Done with all this till 2011!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Does anyone know how they go about obtaining your medical history?

Go to your GP and ask them to photocopy your records. They will charge for this and you need to give them a bit of notice to do it. Our one want a couple of days and charged if I remember correctly £10.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I just visited my GP. They gave me copies of my records for free. But they did need like a week todo it. So I would get right onto it now if I was you.

I'm on my wife's work medical insurance now. All they wanted was our marriage certificate.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Timeline

I know I could get a copy of these records, even if I had to have my parents mail them out to me, but did any of you actually get asked for them?

29th July 2008 - POE

28th January 2009 - GC approved without interview. Done with all this till 2011!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I know I could get a copy of these records, even if I had to have my parents mail them out to me, but did any of you actually get asked for them?

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No. Only needed to provide a marriage certificate. I now have my medical insurance card. :)

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Nope, never asked for them. I did have to disclose all my conditions though, and the insurer wanted a letter from the therapist I saw last year during the period after getting the visa but before relocation. I emailed the practice, and they said they could only have a letter sent from the consulting psychiatrist (whom I saw like once for about 20 minutes) and he was on holiday (typical). The practice sat on it for ages, and as a result I was not covered for like 6 weeks while I waited. Eventually, the insurers took my word that I had only gone for a very finite period of time (4 weeks) and that my condition was in check, and I was covered.

I never did get that letter. :angry:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey guys,

I will apologise for not being on here as often as I would like or should. When Russ and I went through the visa process this was my life line and helped me through to the end....

Now I am here in america "land of dreams" and my life feels like a nightmare. I have a job that thankfully I love, my boss is amazing and I am learning everyday, however I am on such a poor wage that we can bearly survive. My parents own a buisness in UK and I get paid less then the students that work there!

I work 12 hour days and come home half dead and ready to just go to bed, to start all over again the next day. We litrally would not survice if it wasnt for my amazing parents who, now have to send us money each month.

On top of all of this, I cant get health insurance. My employer doesnt have it, and to get it with Russ emplyer it would cost $1200 a month. I am 20 pounds over weight and so can not get health insurance individually on my own.

I feel like everythign is against us, thnkfully Russ and I are stronger then ever and bless his heart he is willing to give up a job he adores to go work in retail, so we can have health insurance. Eventually we want children, but I cant get insurance and so that not even a possibility right now.

I am so mad... this country is one of the most powerful in the world and here I am working my a*s off daily, and getting nothing for it.

I am in such a frustrated, hating ameirca mood right now... sorry to all the american lovers who will no doubt trash me, there always there to give ####### when you need it least.

Just looking for advice... support in what seems like a hopeless time.

I fought so hard for my visa, and I know that so many people are going through it now and feeling so very alone with out there loved one, but I feel like giving it all up! I just want to go home!

Yep, welcome to the club.

I always laugh to hear how foreigners actually view the US before they live here. Hollywood always sends the wrong message.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My wife did she is diabetic so I guess they want to see what treatment and drugs she was given in the UK. The doctor I went to had me file out their medical history form and that was all.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hmmm...it could just be the company I work for but I didn't need to give any medical information to get Nicky covered.

In the past several months I lost 30 lbs through weight watchers...it was an excellent program that emphasized portion control instead of cutting out certain foods (especially sweets...my downfall ;-). I know a lot of people reacted quite negatively (and to be fair the person who posted about weight loss perhaps didn't approach the subject in the best way) but it will impact your life in many more positive ways than just being eligible for insurance. The confidence you gain from taking control of that aspect of your life will help you in other areas too.

Anyways, I just noticed how old this thread is and I wish you the best with your insurance endeavors!

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

Thanks everyone. I just spoke to Toby and he siad it's going to be about $250 a month to add me to his work insurance, which is what he plans on doing - but although I know that's a lot less than other people pay. I just find that so obscene when i'm used to freebies on the NHS.

Here recently i've been to the doctors 5 times (in a 3 week period) because I kept getting tingling in my arms and legs - after a multitude of blood tests - the diagnosis is anxiety and stress brought about my all the hassle of emigrating. Not depression I hasten to add!! No treatment necessary - the doc just told me to try and 'chill out'.. HA!!!

*edit - my spelling is shocking!

Edited by Saffyre

29th July 2008 - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.