akdiver

Almost free tickets - what is current visa registration scam?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
How did they know your were in Sochi for 9 days? I registered only in Kazan' and went where ever I pleased. If I were ever stopped, (which I was once) I just said, I'm passing through.
They got me at the airport on my flight back to Tomsk. They looked at the receipt of my round trip ticket and concluded it was more than 72 hours. I think it is all a large scam by the officers who check your passports as you are going through security. They are only supposed to check it for ID purposes to match the ticket, but all they are interested in is the registration.

this thread is the first time i've ever heard of anyone getting a private visa instead of a tourist or business visa.
As far as I know I am the only one here who has successfully done the private visa. I did it both times on my trips to Russia. My wife took care of it and all I sent her was a copy of my US passport by email and she printed it out there. Made all the appropriate copies, filled in all the appropriate forms and paid the much smaller fees then tourist visa support charges and I registered likewise with little hassle paying some nominal fee. Everyone else one here just pays for convenience. Both my wife and I have always planned the trips well in advance and did not have any issues, and we both agree that the extra money wasted on visa support can go elsewhere.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
How did they know your were in Sochi for 9 days? I registered only in Kazan' and went where ever I pleased. If I were ever stopped, (which I was once) I just said, I'm passing through.
They got me at the airport on my flight back to Tomsk. They looked at the receipt of my round trip ticket and concluded it was more than 72 hours. I think it is all a large scam by the officers who check your passports as you are going through security. They are only supposed to check it for ID purposes to match the ticket, but all they are interested in is the registration.

this thread is the first time i've ever heard of anyone getting a private visa instead of a tourist or business visa.
As far as I know I am the only one here who has successfully done the private visa. I did it both times on my trips to Russia. My wife took care of it and all I sent her was a copy of my US passport by email and she printed it out there. Made all the appropriate copies, filled in all the appropriate forms and paid the much smaller fees then tourist visa support charges and I registered likewise with little hassle paying some nominal fee. Everyone else one here just pays for convenience. Both my wife and I have always planned the trips well in advance and did not have any issues, and we both agree that the extra money wasted on visa support can go elsewhere.

Visa support isn't *that* expensive, and I'd rather pay and save on hassle. Plus, there's a much higher risk of your private visa being rejected.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I have done the private visa on one occasion and found it was more trouble than it was worth (unless of course one is planning to stay more than 30 days). I am not sure what you mean by "much smaller fees than tourist visa support charges" as this usually costs about $35 and in my mind beats the heck out of someone in Russia dealing with OVIR to get the invitation and then having to send it to the US. As I said, I did it once and decided it wasn't worth it for a 2 or 3 week visit.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Timeline

For our last trip in October I was registered at the former OVIR office. Wife and her "special friends" didn't want to do the post office registration. Guess it had something to do with the fact I am listed as co-owner on our apartment there, but registration was fairly easy and I didn't have to have anyone turn in any papers after I left. I believe my registration indicated I was a property owner but not a resident of Russia. I don't remember needing to pay any fee.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I've never been stopped by Russian police. Never been questioned, never been checked, nothing. Don't really know why. Seems I blend in quite well, especially with Sasha. And I've been there many times. Been lucky I guess. Knocking on wood.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ahhh. That explains it. I traveled by auto and train. I can see where an airport would look closer.

I gotta say, the ONLY reason I was stopped my one and only time... I was with my son and friend that refused to try and blend. They saw two obvious Americans and checked me to discover I was too. I went everywhere my year around Kazan'. Never even looked at by an officer on the street, alone or with Alla.

I've never been stopped by Russian police. Never been questioned, never been checked, nothing. Don't really know why. Seems I blend in quite well, especially with Sasha. And I've been there many times. Been lucky I guess. Knocking on wood.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Yea, those guys at the Sochi airport try to shake me down the same way all 3 times I have flown out of there, and once when I arrived. They are just after money. I think you got hit with the "payable on demand" fine ;)

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Ahhh. That explains it. I traveled by auto and train. I can see where an airport would look closer.

I gotta say, the ONLY reason I was stopped my one and only time... I was with my son and friend that refused to try and blend. They saw two obvious Americans and checked me to discover I was too. I went everywhere my year around Kazan'. Never even looked at by an officer on the street, alone or with Alla.

I am the same Kazan, never had any problems with any of the militsia on the street. They dont look at me, and I dont look at them. I give them as wide a berth as possible, since I dont carry my passport with me when I go out, I only carry copies, and dont want the risk of them hassling me if they do check. The guys at the Sochi airport are just wanting bribes, simple as that. My first time, my translator basically told them to screw themselves and they let me pass. The next 3 times I played stupid "I net speaka in russkie" because I wasnt using a translator anymore, and they got tired of messing with me because I could not understand and let me go. At SVO and St. Pete, they have never looked twice at me. Or even once for that matter.

Edited by Bobalouie

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Second, and this is where my question is, my understanding is that the whole visa registration thing has changed quite a bit since the last time I was there. Can anyone point out what the current procedure is? I should point out that we do NOT plan to stay at a hotel in Moscow or anywhere else. We'll fy into Moscow, goof off a bit until it's time for the flight to Kazan, and then stay with a friend there for a couple of days before going to Bavly. Once there, we will stay with her parents. My understanding is that we can register the visa through the OVIR or whatever there - but I've heard that in these small towns, the people involved in this kind of thing are generally clueless. Bavly is a small town and I expect to encounter cluelessness. So - does anyone actually know what today's skinny is on this topic? Not looking for speculation - I can do that on my own. I'm hoping to hear from a recent traveler who has done something similar (i.e. not stayed in a hotel, but used a tourist, rather than visitor/homestay visa).

I went through a somewhat similar process to yourself this past December.

Tried to get an invitation through visatorussia.com (i.e. IntelService), but they refused to issue an tourist invitation listing a city other than Moscow or St. Petersburg (yes, they denied the invitation request and refunded the $30 fee). So, we had to make some calls and found the only travel agency in the destination city that issues tourist visa invitations (yeah, also more expensive). We also checked with FMS (formerly known as OVIR) about if we could register the tourist visa for staying at a private residence, they said yes. While the travel agency could list the actual city of desination on the tourist invitation, they still had to show a hotel on that invitation. Upon arrival in the city, local FMS office nevertheless registered the visa/passport/migration card at the private residence I was actually staying (not entirely sure if that was legal to do, especially as I'm told the rather high registration fee of $60 was put in his pocket).

Getting a registration within the city you are staying is very important; do not think you can register at an office in Moscow and then go to another city for the rest of the trip and expect to return home without difficulties; the passport inspection when trying to leave the other city to go back to Moscow to go home will expose no registration in the city and you'll be in trouble!

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline
I have done the private visa on one occasion and found it was more trouble than it was worth (unless of course one is planning to stay more than 30 days). I am not sure what you mean by "much smaller fees than tourist visa support charges" as this usually costs about $35 and in my mind beats the heck out of someone in Russia dealing with OVIR to get the invitation and then having to send it to the US. As I said, I did it once and decided it wasn't worth it for a 2 or 3 week visit.
Visa support isn't *that* expensive, and I'd rather pay and save on hassle. Plus, there's a much higher risk of your private visa being rejected.
On MY two trips I have always stayed more than 30 days because I was a poor college student at the time with a long summer break and plenty of time to go through any possible hassles. So when you compare the price of a business visa support v. private visa it was either my wife pays 400 rubles or I expend several hundred dollars. Likewise if you go the multiple tourist visa route, leaving the country and returning every 30 days is no fun either. As far as the private visa getting rejected, why that sounds like something the visa support websites put up, because they want your business. In MY experience I have had no problems twice.

As far as hassling your significant other to do the private visa, why not is my response. You have to be hassled for her K1; she can do her part for your visa too. The K1 is a lot more work and time in my opinion.

I was too broad in my statement about 400 rubles being a smaller fee than $35 but I read on here how these agencies also try to collect another $30 at registration and as others have indicated the tourist visa route has issues with being forced to find your company in a specific city for registration purposes.

As far as being stopped, I speak fluent Russian so I am not sure why I couldn't blend in. It has to be the clothes and the haircut. Just look at the guys over there, all the same in both departments.

Since we're talking numbers and fines here, did I read correctly the $123 plus 100,000 miles???

That's a steal!!! What did you do, call them up and say "Hey, I've got miles, hook me up?" I'm going to have to start using that credit card a whole lot more.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Since we're talking numbers and fines here, did I read correctly the $123 plus 100,000 miles???
Correct

What did you do, call them up and say "Hey, I've got miles, hook me up?" I'm going to have to start using that credit card a whole lot more.
More or less. I was on the phone for an hour or so, trying different dates. The ones I got, out on April 16th, back on May 7th, were pretty much as late as I could get. After that, the # of seats allocated for miles tickets seems to go to zero.

And yeah, a credit card is an easy way to get miles. It's how I got most of mine. You get 30,000 just for signing up for the Alaska Airlines Signature Visa card (:

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
As far as the private visa getting rejected, why that sounds like something the visa support websites put up, because they want your business. In MY experience I have had no problems twice.

I did have a problem in this regard---however it wasn't in getting the visa but in getting the invitation. The private visa invitation was ordered at FMS in September 2007. Paid extra too to get it by November 15, 2007. It didn't come by November 15, 2007. Inquiry in early December revealed---"no private visa invitations for people coming from USA or Republic of Georgia will be ready until after the New Year." In fact, it still hasn't come! When there was no time left, had no choice but to get the tourist invitation and tourist visa, and the problems doing that were previous described here.

In the past, private visas haven't been a problem to get from the consulate. However, be warned that if you get a private visa, it can only be registered at the residence of the sponsor who got the invitation (at least that was the case in year 2000). However, when I needed to register elsewhere (in a different city too), a new private visa invitation had to be applied for by the alternate sponsor simultaneous with the registration, so even that legal mess was recoverable (actually, with money, almost any legal mess in Russia can be recovered). They might be much more strict about this now, however, since they supposedly have a visa blacklisting system now.

If you can get the original invitation in time, private visas are useful because: (1) Cost obtaining the invitation is very little, (2) the validity period is 90 days, and (3) visa period can be extended while in Russia or you may be able to obtain a temporary residence permit (and later a permanent residence permit) if you entered with one.

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

When my then-fiance was planning to visit me in Moscow, I had StarTravel issue him a tourist invitation. He listed their recommended hotel as his intended place of stay on the visa application, but of course never went there and stayed the whole time at my place. We never went to any OVIRs and completely dissed the whole registration thing.

On the last day he shows me the arrival/departure slip in his passport and asks what to do with it. I jokingly press my lips to it and leave a kiss mark with my red lipstick! Then I drive him to the airport, he passes the luggage inspection and ticket registration and goes to the exit customs with a poker face; the officer looks at the kiss mark, chuckles, shrugges his shoulders and lets him go without further questions. :P

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
When my then-fiance was planning to visit me in Moscow, I had StarTravel issue him a tourist invitation. He listed their recommended hotel as his intended place of stay on the visa application, but of course never went there and stayed the whole time at my place. We never went to any OVIRs and completely dissed the whole registration thing.

On the last day he shows me the arrival/departure slip in his passport and asks what to do with it. I jokingly press my lips to it and leave a kiss mark with my red lipstick! Then I drive him to the airport, he passes the luggage inspection and ticket registration and goes to the exit customs with a poker face; the officer looks at the kiss mark, chuckles, shrugges his shoulders and lets him go without further questions. :P

cute! but risky. :)

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.