tenderheartusa79

US orders massive recall of beef !!!!!!!!

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has ordered the recall of 143m lb (64.9m kg) of beef - the largest meat recall in the country's history.

It comes from a company in California, which officials said allowed meat from cattle unable to stand at the time of slaughter to enter the food chain.

But the USDA said the health hazard was minimal. Much of the meat was purchased for federal nutrition programmers.

The meat-packing plant is also being investigated for animal cruelty.

The USDA had suspended operations there earlier this month after an undercover video came to light showing crippled and sick animals being mistreated.

Caution

The USDA recall affected frozen beef products from the West land/Hallmark Meat Co in Chino, California, dating back to 1 February 2006.

The move surpasses a 1999 recall of 35m lbs (15.9m kg) of ready-to-eat meals, which were thought to possibly be contaminated with listeria, officials said.

An estimated 37m lbs (16.8m kg) of the beef recalled on Sunday went to school lunch programmers and other federal nutrition programmers, the USDA said. Some was also supplied to major fast-food chains.

But officials said most of the recalled meat has probably already been eaten.

The USDA classified the recall as Class 2 - meaning there is a remote probability that the product could harm health if consumed - and said investigators had found no cases of illness related to the meat

We don't know how much product is out there right now. We don't think there is a health hazard, but we do have to take this action," ####### Raymond, USDA undersecretary for food safety told the Associated Press.

In a statement, Agriculture Secretary Ed Shafer said he had been "dismayed by the inhumane handling of cattle" that resulted in the violation of food safety regulations at West land/Hallmark.

"It is extremely unlikely that these animals were at risk for BSE [mad cow disease] because of the multiple safeguards; however this action is necessary because plant procedures violated USDA regulations," he added.

'Downer cattle'

The recall was ordered after USDA officials said the plant did not consistently order "complete and proper" inspections of cattle which had lost the ability to walk prior to slaughter.

Such "downer" cattle are at greater risk of contamination by E. coli, salmonella or contracting mad cow disease, as they have weaker immune systems and greater contact with faeces than walking cattle

They should either be removed from the food supply, or receive a more thorough inspection following slaughter, officials say.

Operations at the plant had already been suspended earlier this month following the broadcast of an undercover video shot by the Humane Society of the United States.

The video showed crippled and ill animals being prodded with the blades of a forklift truck, kicked, given electric shocks and sprayed with high-pressure water hoses by staff in an effort to get them to their feet before slaughter.

"A recall of this staggering scale proves that it's past time for Congress and the USDA to strengthen our laws for the sake of people and animals," said the Humane Society's president, Wayne Pacelle.

Two former employees, including a slaughter pen manager, were charged with animal cruelty by California prosecutors on Friday. No charges have been filed against Westland/Hallmark, but the USDA investigation continues.

In a statement issued on 3 February, Westland/Hallmark president Steve Mendell said it was co-operating with the USDA and called the practices shown in the video as "a serious breach of our company's policies and training".

"We have taken swift action regarding the two employees identified on the video and have already implemented aggressive measures to ensure all employees follow our humane handling policies and procedures," he added.

Edited by tenderheart197900

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you read all the stories and watch all the news videos....well, I found this one to be blown way out of proportion. I don't agree with the treatment of the animals, nor the oversight of the plants at not following proper procedures, but the recall, after the fact that most of the beef has been eaten months ago.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.