Mountain777

A few questions...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, Can anyone tell me if they know of a situation where the biological father refuses to sign the papers to take my wife's 7 year old daughter to the US with us. We just filed our I-130 for cr-1 visas this month.

The biological father does absolutley nothing for the girl and never has. He has no job and just parties. He don't want to do anything anyway. And he has been physically abusive to my wife in the past aswell. The laws in Colombia are VERY loose and not much can be done in the way of taking his rights away. We have been to Bien Estar Familiar in Cali and was told that the only way we could take his parental rights away is if he has physically abused the girl directly which he did not, or is a drug addict... like that can be proven. Anyway, wust have his signature to take the girl with us non the less. Not sure what we sould do. Any info will help us thanks.

-Rich

I dont know if this is anything u can do right now, maybe so, maybe not, someone on here may have more knowledge, but I would definitely have your wife start documenting visitations, phone calls, and anything her ex does that is not in the best interest of the child. I dont know if i will help with immigration of the child to the US but i do know from the experience of a very nasty custody battle. Sorry you are having to go thur this. Its not fun.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Rich,

I suggest you go here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2572

There is a wealth of information, yes you have to have the letter or they will not let the child out of the airport in Colombia. It has to be an offical letter also. Read the thread above and you will see the stories others have concering the child of their Spouse. My case was straight forward and the Mom allowed the kids to leave. They will be here 3/1/08.

Good Luck

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There was recently a Montreal interview review in the Canada forum which had somewhat of the same circumstances.

Although the Mother has full custody and the ex is pretty much totally non-involved in the childs life, they would not issue the visa without a letter from the Father (which she is going to have a very hard time getting).

Sorry you are going through this.

The review posting is here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109079

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.