Melae

Question about divorce papers

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this question. I've been a 'lurker' for a while and honestly I'm pretty well overwhelmed with the whole process.

My question.. I have two previous divorces, one in Georgia, one in Tennessee. When I ordered a certified copy from Tennessee, I got one sheet with the info typed in. The original was like 20 pages long. I'm wondering if thats gonna fly or if I'm gonna need to order again and somehow get them to mail me the big one.

We've been planning for a long time, we just haven't been able to start the process till now and its like an information overload!

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated!

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

June - I went to Regina for the first time

October – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

May – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

No visits

No visits

February - Trevor visited for 1 week

June – I got to visit for 7 whole weeks!

March 27 – Sent I-129F application

April 1 – Received by VSC

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

May 31 Iwent to visit for 8 weeks

July 7 - NOA2

October 27 - Interview - APPROVED!

I had trouble with my wife's prior divorce papers when I had the interview at the US Consulate.

I had a photocopy of the papers with the notarized stamp photocopied on there. They wanted the actual physical notarized stamp (the raised bumpy kind you can feel).

About the 20 page stack vs single sheet? Hmmm, not sure. They didn't read through the report. They just wanted to verify that yes everybody is divorced and yes it's been notarized.

Edited by Texanadian

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My divorce decree (here in Georgia) was about four pages long and has the raised seal on it. I do think each state is different when it comes to such things. I would call the county in TN in which you were married and ask if the one sheet is indeed the certified divorce decree. IF it doesn't have the raised up seal, I would ask for one that does. Methinks you'll need to have THAT particular one for the interview.

Welcome to VJ and to the Canada Forum! :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

my certified copies from texas don't have a raised seal, but they have a stamp and some clerk or whoever does it signed it saying its certified. and texas doesn't give the short form ones. i guess its just different by every state. as far as which to send in...hopefully someone will know lol since i only have the long one to ship in

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My divorce decree was short also, ~ 4 pages. But, I think that the length depends on the case. Some are more complex than others. As for the bumpy seal: a certified copy will have that bumpy seal. :)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
my certified copies from texas don't have a raised seal, but they have a stamp and some clerk or whoever does it signed it saying its certified. and texas doesn't give the short form ones. i guess its just different by every state. as far as which to send in...hopefully someone will know lol since i only have the long one to ship in

I had the exact same thing in Missouri.....NO Raised bumpy seal.....just the cleark certified stamps. It went through just fine with no questions.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Which divorce was first?

If the Tennesee one is older and the georgia is more recent, perhaps thats something less to worry about?

My husband had 2 divorce decrees as well - the first was from Maryland years ago, it was a very simple 1 pager (they were married in college for a very short period) not much to say I guess and there's just a clerk's signature on it within the stamped seal. His second divorce is many pages long and has the embossed seal with signature on it.

initially he was worried he'd even find the divorce papers from the first one since it was so many years ago

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Thank you all for your input, its helping a lot! I have both papers in front of me, and the Tennessee one has two small round seals on the bottom corners (left and right). One is The Seal of the State of Tennessee, the other is Department of Health, Tennessee, Both are raised a tiny bit so you can feel them but not as much as the Georgia one. The Georgia paper has the big raised bumpy seal that was made through a stamp with the signature of the county clerk of courts.

This begs the question.. Are those small seals official enough? The Tennessee paper is also Tri colored with a light pattern and the two upper corners have small circles with faded yellow TN in them. I'm thinking maybe for verification under a black light or something? I see no watermark tho. It looks pretty official to me, but the Georgia one is just SO very obvious, that the understated one worries me :P

Thanks again!

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

No visits

No visits

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

July 7 - NOA2

Timeline

A seal is a seal is a seal.....I don't think I've ever seen any stipulations on the size of it.

Deep breath......Everything is going to be okay!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Which divorce was first?

If the Tennesee one is older and the georgia is more recent, perhaps thats something less to worry about?

My husband had 2 divorce decrees as well - the first was from Maryland years ago, it was a very simple 1 pager (they were married in college for a very short period) not much to say I guess and there's just a clerk's signature on it within the stamped seal. His second divorce is many pages long and has the embossed seal with signature on it.

initially he was worried he'd even find the divorce papers from the first one since it was so many years ago

Somehow missed your post before, sorry about that! The Tennessee one was first, Georgia one was second. This is a load off my mind.. now to pick another paper to stress over :P

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

No visits

No visits

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

July 7 - NOA2

Timeline
Which divorce was first?

Somehow missed your post before, sorry about that! The Tennessee one was first, Georgia one was second. This is a load off my mind.. now to pick another paper to stress over :P

Ha ha......that made me snort some soda out of my nose.

We understand!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

I've been stressing for ...going on 6 years now, first because we had to find a way to satisfy the affidavit of support and that was pure hell there... My mom has said she would sponsor him since I don't really qualify financially on my own, so thats a huge load off. So.. after all this time, I'm a professional stressor! :P I'm just glad I found this board, its rough enough to have to go through it without the added frustration of the blank looks you get when someone asks you what's the holdup..

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

No visits

No visits

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

July 7 - NOA2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've been stressing for ...going on 6 years now, first because we had to find a way to satisfy the affidavit of support and that was pure hell there... My mom has said she would sponsor him since I don't really qualify financially on my own, so thats a huge load off. So.. after all this time, I'm a professional stressor! :P I'm just glad I found this board, its rough enough to have to go through it without the added frustration of the blank looks you get when someone asks you what's the holdup..

Hi there Melae!

The one page version should be just fine - just for reference, here is the reciprocity description of the divorce certificate for Canadian certificates. While yours are U.S. documents, it does give you an idea of what they are looking for, what they are describing below can just be the 'one sheet' version:

Canadian divorce records are maintained by provincial and territorial courts. Primary evidence of divorce is the original or court-certified copy of the final divorce decree from the court where the divorce took place. Some provinces also issue a "Certificate of Divorce" similar to a large or full-size marriage certificate (a computer-printed extract of information on currency style stock paper, 21.6 x 17.8cm or 7 x 8.25 in., with an intaglio border). The Certificate of Divorce is also acceptable evidence of divorce, though it has no information about child custody.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.