rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

HI EVERYONE !

question, do we need to wait for the social security number before we file the AOS? or can we do it with out it?

ANA.. what is the AP FORMS? is that another from the AOS and the EAD?.. gosh i thought this was going to be easier..lol.. and more passport photos ..omg!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

HI EVERYONE !

question, do we need to wait for the social security number before we file the AOS? or can we do it with out it?

ANA.. what is the AP FORMS? is that another from the AOS and the EAD?.. gosh i thought this was going to be easier..lol.. and more passport photos ..omg!

[/quot

HI EVERYONE !

As far as i am aware, you don't HAVE to wait for the ssn to apply for AOS. Kim or cdneh or others may know for sure if it is vital to write it down or not. At the interview she asked me to show her my ssn card regardless.

But if you feel more relaxed about getting it first, then generally it should only take 2-3 weeks to arrive in the mail.

The AP is Application for travel document (form I-131). If your SO wants to travel overseas (back to nz for a visit?) while you are still waiting for AOS to be approved then you will need the travel document to be able to re-enter the USA again.

The AP form alone is around $300 but you can send it in with your AOS form and the EAD form for free!! so if you did want the document it would pay to send it now with the AOS package and save some $$$'s

Here's the link to the immigration forms:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

It does all seem a little daunting at first but if you take it one form at a time, it kinda works itself out! I lost count of the number of times i went over each form and making sure i filled out everything correctly and checking to see if i have the right documents to submit with it.

Just remember to send in only photocopies of your legal documents. If they want to see the originals they will either ask you to send them or to show them at the interview.

The non immigrant visa number is on the visa that is stuck in the passport (has photo of your SO on the left of it)

If you look to the bottom right of the visa there are numbers in red (to the left of it is the Petitioners name) The red numbers is the non immigrant visa number. :star:

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Ana I found myself in the same position....... my SO isn't a fan of credit cards or bank accounts either so I recently got a walmart visa debit card sharepak.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/AcctMgmt/C...t/Products.aspx

It's two cards, two names and one shared balance. I'm hoping the statement will have both names on it, I haven't got that far yet but it's worth a try. I guess it doesn't have to be a walmart one but you get the idea :star:

I don't know, some things are quite different back home. The whole banking culture is the norm there, I mean we had bank accounts opened for us when we started school, and took banking to school once a week. Don't know if they still do it now but I'm glad they did when we were younger, you grow up with the whole concept and to me opening and running a bank account is no big deal, it's just a part of everyday life. To come across so much anti bank talk here just seems plain wierd, I opened an account as soon as I could and believe me, I've been asked to cash quite a few cheques for family members here who don't have bank accounts.

I received the "Card production ordered" email on the 13th, and the welcome letter was dated 13th Aug (received it by snail mail on the 17th), and the actual approval date was the day before (12th). So when you get the production ordered email it shouldn't be too long.

The welcome letter said I should receive the GC within the next 3 weeks. It arrived on the 22nd Aug, and the date on the actual card is the 12th. So it took 10 days from approval to arrive in the mail. I think they just give you the 3-4 weeks to cover themselves. :blink:

Thanks for the link Kim! :thumbs: I will look into it. I too, can't get my head around how anti -bank, credit card etc some people are here. As you say, in NZ its a way of life for everyone. I actually think the banking is a lot better here :star:

So far, we haven't incurred any fees on our bank account. In nz, everytime i used my eftpos card in shops etc, i would get charged. So i think it is way better here (until they start charging bank fees LOL!! ) We each have atm cards but my SO hasn't used his one yet.

It just makes things whole much easier having one imo! :)

i will keep an eye out in the mail for the welcome letter. I just hope they don't take as long as the DMV has with my state ID. (still waiting and going on 7 weeks now :wacko: )

ROC

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

N-400

06/26/2012 - NOA date

Timeline
HI EVERYONE !

As far as i am aware, you don't HAVE to wait for the ssn to apply for AOS. Kim or cdneh or others may know for sure if it is vital to write it down or not. At the interview she asked me to show her my ssn card regardless.

But if you feel more relaxed about getting it first, then generally it should only take 2-3 weeks to arrive in the mail.

The AP is Application for travel document (form I-131). If your SO wants to travel overseas (back to nz for a visit?) while you are still waiting for AOS to be approved then you will need the travel document to be able to re-enter the USA again.

The AP form alone is around $300 but you can send it in with your AOS form and the EAD form for free!! so if you did want the document it would pay to send it now with the AOS package and save some $$$'s

Here's the link to the immigration forms:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

It does all seem a little daunting at first but if you take it one form at a time, it kinda works itself out! I lost count of the number of times i went over each form and making sure i filled out everything correctly and checking to see if i have the right documents to submit with it.

Just remember to send in only photocopies of your legal documents. If they want to see the originals they will either ask you to send them or to show them at the interview.

The non immigrant visa number is on the visa that is stuck in the passport (has photo of your SO on the left of it)

If you look to the bottom right of the visa there are numbers in red (to the left of it is the Petitioners name) The red numbers is the non immigrant visa number. :star:

THANK YOU ANA

MORE QUESTIONS..LOL.. i'm about to freak out again and i dont think this a question anyone of you can answer since it hasn't applied to you.. but you remember the reason why our visa denied to begin with? the criminal reason? on the AOS the questions you check yes or no..part 3,#1 question b. have you ever been cited, charged.. blab blab for breaking any law... in or outside the united states..after everything we went through over this and once again here it is staring us in the face again..so the problem..they want a court certified copy of the complete arest record..well we had one and sent it on the fiance visa but never got it back and never made a copy.. yeah that's right..WE NENER MADE A COPY!! #######! so now he's here in the US of freaking A and we have to get another copy of the court record..and do we have to do I864 and another G325A??? this isn't on the letter from the consulet in nz after he got his visa.. it just said the I485 and I765 was all that was needed...i thought this was going to be easier???HELP!!

THANK YOU ANA

MORE QUESTIONS..LOL.. i'm about to freak out again and i dont think this a question anyone of you can answer since it hasn't applied to you.. but you remember the reason why our visa denied to begin with? the criminal reason? on the AOS the questions you check yes or no..part 3,#1 question b. have you ever been cited, charged.. blab blab for breaking any law... in or outside the united states..after everything we went through over this and once again here it is staring us in the face again..so the problem..they want a court certified copy of the complete arest record..well we had one and sent it on the fiance visa but never got it back and never made a copy.. yeah that's right..WE NENER MADE A COPY!! #######! so now he's here in the US of freaking A and we have to get another copy of the court record..and do we have to do I864 and another G325A??? this isn't on the letter from the consulet in nz after he got his visa.. it just said the I485 and I765 was all that was needed...i thought this was going to be easier???HELP!!

Can you contact the place that issued the court certified copy of the complete arrest record and ask for a copy of it? Was it issued in nz?

yes you will have to fill out a sponsor form I-864 and a G325a form. If you deal with one form at a time. It is not so overwhelming.

Before you do send out the AOS package. Give us all a run down of what you have etc and we will all help you to see that you have everything ready to go!! :star:

I know it seems like a difficult task but you guys have made it thus far with obstacles in your way. you can do it!! :thumbs:

ROC

N-400

06/26/2012 - NOA date

JUST checked mailbox and my state ID has finally arrived!!! YAY!! only took 6 weeks and 5 days!!! :whistle:

Just looked at the ID card and they have my birthdate WRONG!!! can NOT believe it!! Will this be a problem do you think? They have me down as 28th instead of 23rd. The month and year is right. The day is wrong. :wacko:

ROC

N-400

06/26/2012 - NOA date

Timeline

I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION...

OK, THE I864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT... WELL ATM ..LOL... I DONT HAVE A DANG JOB.. QUIT TO GO TO NEW ZEALAND..BUT WILL HAVE ONE SOON. I WAS WAITNG TO GET MARRIED AND THE AOS DONE BEFORE I WENT BACK TO WORK... ANYWAY I NEVER MADE ENOUGH TO SPONSOR HIM ANYWAY, MY VERY RICH UNCLE IS BUT..WHICH I864 FORM DO WE FILL OUT.. DO I NEED TO DO ONE TOO? THIS IS VERY CONFUSING..DIDNT THINK I'D HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN.. #######.. I WOULDNT OF QUIT MY JOB..SHOOT THIS IS GETTING WORSE BY THE FORM... I'M FEELING LIKE I JUST CUT OUR OWN THROATS BY ME GOING TO NZ!!!I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE WITH THIS. DO YOU KNOW LONG YOU HAVE TO FILE THIS AOS.. MAYBE WE SHOULD WAIT UNTILL I'M BACK TO WORK..BUT I NEED TO GET THIS AOS FILED SO HE CAN WORK AND HELP OUT..DAM THIS IS CRAZY..BEING SEPERATED MAKES YOU CRAZY.. YOU CANT MAKE THE RGHT DESCIONS ALL YOU THINK ABOUT IS BEING TOGETHER! :wacko:

Timeline
THANK YOU ANA

Can you contact the place that issued the court certified copy of the complete arrest record and ask for a copy of it? Was it issued in nz?

yes you will have to fill out a sponsor form I-864 and a G325a form. If you deal with one form at a time. It is not so overwhelming.

Before you do send out the AOS package. Give us all a run down of what you have etc and we will all help you to see that you have everything ready to go!! :star:

I know it seems like a difficult task but you guys have made it thus far with obstacles in your way. you can do it!! :thumbs:

YES IT WAS ISSUED IN NEW ZEALAND, HAVE TO WAIT AND CALL.. JUST GOING TO PUT US BACK YET SOMEMORE TIME,,BUT MAYBE THAT WILL BE BETTER..IDK....THANKS ANA!

Timeline
JUST checked mailbox and my state ID has finally arrived!!! YAY!! only took 6 weeks and 5 days!!! :whistle:

Just looked at the ID card and they have my birthdate WRONG!!! can NOT believe it!! Will this be a problem do you think? They have me down as 28th instead of 23rd. The month and year is right. The day is wrong. :wacko:

Argh that is terrible!!! Sorry you have been through so much Ana, with the interview lady etc. At least she let you off the hook. Who would have thought they'd be so strict about evidence! Just makes me realise I need to get my act together, so far we only have an apartment lease in both our names. Will open a bank account soon as my SSN arrived a few days ago!

Kelly & Evan

K-1

07-30-08 Sent I-129F

08-01-08 Arrived at CSC

08-08-08 Check cashed

08-12-08 NOA1 sent

08-13-08 Touched!

08-18-08 NOA hard copy

12-17-08 NOA2 sent

01-19-09 Packet 3 sent

01-22-09 Medical

03-19-09 Interview! (both of us attended)

03-19-09 Approved!!!

08-07-09 POE LAX

09-18-09 Married!!!

AOS

10-14-09 Filed AOS

10-22-09 NOA hard copies

10-27-09 Touch

11-17-09 Touch

11-17-09 Transfer notice to CSC

11-23-09 Biometrics appointment

11-24-09 Touch

11-27-09 Touch

12-01-09 Touch

12-03-09 Touch

12-07-09 Work Permit approved!!!

12-21-09 Biometrics fingerprints AGAIN

12-30-09 RFE due to fingerprints being unreadable

01-04-09 Touch

01-26-09 Sent RFE back

02-12-09 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

When they did my first state ID they had my zip code round the wrong way. I didn't realise till i got home and when I went back the next day they couldn't make a new one fast enough. I'm pretty sure it's importrant that all info on it is correct so I'd definately get it redone. Pain in the rear end I know :angry:

Our Timeline

AOS

February 23rd 2009 AOS sent in

March 7th 2009 NOA1 Received for EAD & AP

March 9th 2009 NOA1 Received for I-485 & Biometric Apt

March 17th 2009 RFE for Tax & Employment evidence

March 20th 2009 Biometric Apt

March 27th 2009 Sent back RFE

May 7th 2009 Called to give them a rev up!!

June 8th 2009 Still nothing!!!! - put in a service request for EAP & AP

June 10th 2009 Case status finally avaiable online for EAD & AP

June 10th 2009 EAD card production ordered

June 10th 2009 AP approval notice sent

FUNNY WHAT A PHONE CALL WILL DO.......

June 16th 2009 AP Received In mail!!!

June 17th 2009 EAD card production status changed to 17th June

June 19th 2009 EAD Mailed out

June 22nd 2009 EAD Received in mail!!!

July 14th 2009 I-485 finally online and transfered to California!!!!!

July 22nd 2009 Touch

July 31st 2009 Touch

August 3rd 2009 Touch

August 13th 2009 GC Card Production Ordered

August 17th 2009 Received "Welcome to the U.S." letter

August 22nd 2009 Received Green Card in the mail

June 6th 2011 ROC package sent off to VSC

June 13th 2011 NOA1 Letter

July 28th 2011 Biometrics

February 28th 2012 10yr GC Approval Letter

When they did my first state ID they had my zip code round the wrong way. I didn't realise till i got home and when I went back the next day they couldn't make a new one fast enough. I'm pretty sure it's importrant that all info on it is correct so I'd definately get it redone. Pain in the rear end I know :angry:

I wish the departments where we live would be as efficient as the ones where you live!! :yes: I noticed that the ID is only valid till June next year. So i may just wait till then and correct the mistake.(the thought of waiting ages at DMV again is a very daunting one LOL!)

Some good news though, about half an hour ago i got the email from cris saying that card production was ordered on 28th august.. yay!!! :star:

ROC

N-400

06/26/2012 - NOA date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I wish the departments where we live would be as efficient as the ones where you live!! :yes: I noticed that the ID is only valid till June next year. So i may just wait till then and correct the mistake.(the thought of waiting ages at DMV again is a very daunting one LOL!)

Some good news though, about half an hour ago i got the email from cris saying that card production was ordered on 28th august.. yay!!! :star:

Oh wonderful news, that means your card should arrive sometime next week I would think. :dance::dance:

As you're planning on going for your license soon, you're probably right to not worry too much about the ID. They'll take that off you when they process your DL.

Does anyone know how we go about changing the name on our passport and do you have to pay the full amount of a new one? Mine doesn't expire until 2012 so I really don't want to have to fork out the full hundred odd dollars when it's still got 3yrs on it.

I'm in the process of booking a flight home, it'll be around this weekend or thereabouts. My Aunt (2nd Mum) is nearing her end they think and I have to go. I can't not. Not sure for how long yet but it will be at least 3 weeks. I will go with 2 mostly empty suitcases and carry on and bring back as much as my stuff as I can squeeze in. Am seriously missing my music and lots of my clothes that are virtually new. Will also bring back food I've been missing.

Cdneh - how much was it to send stuff back via the post again and did you just get the boxes from the ordinary post office?? I know you've mentioned it before but I don't have the time to trawl back through all our pages right now......lol

Our Timeline

AOS

February 23rd 2009 AOS sent in

March 7th 2009 NOA1 Received for EAD & AP

March 9th 2009 NOA1 Received for I-485 & Biometric Apt

March 17th 2009 RFE for Tax & Employment evidence

March 20th 2009 Biometric Apt

March 27th 2009 Sent back RFE

May 7th 2009 Called to give them a rev up!!

June 8th 2009 Still nothing!!!! - put in a service request for EAP & AP

June 10th 2009 Case status finally avaiable online for EAD & AP

June 10th 2009 EAD card production ordered

June 10th 2009 AP approval notice sent

FUNNY WHAT A PHONE CALL WILL DO.......

June 16th 2009 AP Received In mail!!!

June 17th 2009 EAD card production status changed to 17th June

June 19th 2009 EAD Mailed out

June 22nd 2009 EAD Received in mail!!!

July 14th 2009 I-485 finally online and transfered to California!!!!!

July 22nd 2009 Touch

July 31st 2009 Touch

August 3rd 2009 Touch

August 13th 2009 GC Card Production Ordered

August 17th 2009 Received "Welcome to the U.S." letter

August 22nd 2009 Received Green Card in the mail

June 6th 2011 ROC package sent off to VSC

June 13th 2011 NOA1 Letter

July 28th 2011 Biometrics

February 28th 2012 10yr GC Approval Letter

Oh wonderful news, that means your card should arrive sometime next week I would think. :dance::dance:

As you're planning on going for your license soon, you're probably right to not worry too much about the ID. They'll take that off you when they process your DL.

Does anyone know how we go about changing the name on our passport and do you have to pay the full amount of a new one? Mine doesn't expire until 2012 so I really don't want to have to fork out the full hundred odd dollars when it's still got 3yrs on it.

I'm in the process of booking a flight home, it'll be around this weekend or thereabouts. My Aunt (2nd Mum) is nearing her end they think and I have to go. I can't not. Not sure for how long yet but it will be at least 3 weeks. I will go with 2 mostly empty suitcases and carry on and bring back as much as my stuff as I can squeeze in. Am seriously missing my music and lots of my clothes that are virtually new. Will also bring back food I've been missing.

Cdneh - how much was it to send stuff back via the post again and did you just get the boxes from the ordinary post office?? I know you've mentioned it before but I don't have the time to trawl back through all our pages right now......lol

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt (F)

I think that we have to pay the full price again for the passport when we change our name on it. Mine doesn't expire till 2012 either and it does seem a shame to have to pay all over again just for the name change. I think we have to send the nz passport application form back to nz. I don't think the nz consulate here in LA deals with issuing new passports.

Here's the link to the nz consulate in LA:

http://www.nzcgla.com/new/passports.php

ROC

N-400

06/26/2012 - NOA date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.