Englishsammy

anyone buy immigrant health insurance before they went to US?

25 posts in this topic

I'm worried about health insurance as Roshon is a student so doesn't have any for me!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks guys!

Getting excited now - 4 weeks till i'm back with my love :dance::thumbs:(L):devil:

Sam :star:

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm worried about health insurance as Roshon is a student so doesn't have any for me!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks guys!

Getting excited now - 4 weeks till i'm back with my love :dance::thumbs:(L):devil:

Sam :star:

Ive been asking this question too sam with no replies :( I would also be interested my Dave works but doesnt have health insurance with the company so it looks like we will be looking at getting private health insurance but i dont think we will be able to get that till after we get married and buy our home so his current $300 rent/mortgage for his mum's place is free to be spent on insurance. Please anyone else got any ideas?

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Filed: Timeline

I could not afford to pay the prices quoted for insurance when I first got here... so I just had to hope I did not need it until I was able to work.... Glad to say I never did....

I now have full insurance from my employers.....

Kezzie

Edited by Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

And after you're here and settled, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield do reasonable private rates.

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Im naughty, been here 8 months without insurance! Wish you well on your upcoming move!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing initially.

Then wifes cover

Then wifes student cover

Then Anthem with a big deductible.

Cheap Insurance does not exist, some is less expensive if you are prepared to carry a chunk of the primary risk.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I used http://www.expatriate-insurance.com - they were very easy to deal with and I could extend the cover month by month from the US. I barely remember what I paid but I think it was around 60 quid a month. Well worth it for peace of mind.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
I used http://www.expatriate-insurance.com - they were very easy to deal with and I could extend the cover month by month from the US. I barely remember what I paid but I think it was around 60 quid a month. Well worth it for peace of mind.

If you keep clicking through, looks like Allianz may be the Insurer:

http://www.allianzworldwidecare.com/EN/index.php

Just checked their premium for me - $4,600 odd a year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was covered for 30 days by my BC(canadian) medical, and then I got a good plan from www.specialtyrisk.com..it is specifically for new immigrants. My hubby has coverage only for himself with his job, and this was the best we found. We will just keep renewing it until I can go to work and get my own coverage...good luck.

AOS, EAD, AP, filed on Feb 8, 2006

NOA received Feb 18, 2006

Biometrics done on Apr 21, at St. Paul office..wait some more......

Touched on April 24 and 28

email aproval for AP on May 1

email approval for EAD on May 3

received AP on May 3

received EAD in mail on May 8

start work of June 1

AOS interview in Bloomington on July 19 8am

AOS approved,passport stamped on July 19

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

Dec 18, email stating welcome letter is in the mail

Dec 20, 5 emails saying they ordered production of my new card......

Dec 24...welcome to America letter in the snail mail

Dec 26...GC in hand and all is correct...

NOTE TO SELF..file to lift conditions 04/19/08

04/22/08 filed to lift conditions

05/01/08 package returned wrong form

05/05/08 re-submitted right form to california

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

05/28/08 took my two appointment letters and had my fingerprints done

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

11/21/08 GC in hand no mistakes expires 11/13/18

I couldn't see anywhere on Allianz that offered US insurance only. Yes, the worldwide cover gave me a quote of nearly $4,000 per year too but it would be a waste for an expat who is only going to be needing it for the US until they can get coverage other ways. I will have to look up the monthly fee I paid though I doubt I still have the paperwork, but I know for sure it was under 100 quid per month with excellent coverage.

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

Timeline

I couldn't see anywhere on Allianz that offered US insurance only. Yes, the worldwide cover gave me a quote of nearly $4,000 per year too but it would be a waste for an expat who is only going to be needing it for the US until they can get coverage other ways. I will have to look up the monthly fee I paid though I doubt I still have the paperwork, but I know for sure it was under 100 quid per month with excellent coverage.

The US is the most expensive area, it would be a lower risk if you did not need US coverage in total or partially.

Allianz is a reputable company and all in all I thought it was 'reasonably' priced for what you get.

If you are paying a lot less than that there has to be a reason.

Usually you see posts from people who buy travel insurance and think they have annual medical insurance.

The US is the most expensive area, it would be a lower risk if you did not need US coverage in total or partially.

Allianz is a reputable company and all in all I thought it was 'reasonably' priced for what you get.

If you are paying a lot less than that there has to be a reason.

Usually you see posts from people who buy travel insurance and think they have annual medical insurance.

Mine was a very good deal with the above link and no, it wasn't travel insurance. OH's broker checked out the deal before I took it so we were sure it was the right one for us. My advice to anyone would be to get a quote from them as it's free and check all their policies including the small print! Of course, it was 2 years ago that I got this insurance so I'm sure things have changed....just like the USCIS ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Nothing initially.

Then wifes cover

Then wifes student cover

Then Anthem with a big deductible.

Cheap Insurance does not exist, some is less expensive if you are prepared to carry a chunk of the primary risk.

i agree i had same way, nothing then my husbands i will get my own when i start working :thumbs:

09-14-2010 Boston's biggest ceremony of naturalization, I'm a citizen now! :)

1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.