490 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
haha let me know how it goes!
We don't want them to get their hooks into us again, and for some reason the respective wives weren't then and aren't now angered by the mistreatment that still has us USC husbands so enraged.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

He & I agreed that we should meet at the consulate and piss on the building, as a wholly inadequate expression of what we still think about that ####### place.

Tbone, a word of warning and a suggestion.....

When i visited embasssy in Aug of this year, I was standing outside, back to the building, with my foot behind me on the concrete barrier wall. (not the building) Within 20 seconds i was appraoched by a guard telling me i must remove my foot. Now of course my leg and foot would be easier to see than.. well... u get the drift, But, a suggestion...

Perhaps you should consider setting the building on fire first as a distraction. You could then say you were trying to help distinguish the blaze. :rofl::thumbs:

(for those with no sense of humor im kidding)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I have to run to the bank as soon as I get back to Ecuador! They wouldn't give my wife the bank certificate showing that her and I have a joint account, since I was the one who opened it. So that's kind of crappy, I mean what the heck does having her on the account entitle her to? Hmm... Things are different in Ecuador. In NY when your spouse is on your account, it doesn’t matter who opened that.. Your spouse has full unrestricted access... But they look for proof of bona fide marriage, and the more the better! The only crappy part is since I don’t have a Cedula, but living in Ecuador for so long... I can’t get any utilities in my name. But I do have the lease for my house in my name, and the utilities are in my wife's name at the same address so I hope this doesn’t confuse the Embassy staff. I do have a joint tax return, thank god for the ITIN number issued by the IRS. I am getting a letter from my work showing my wife is my designated emergency contact!\

I have taken this excerpt from a lawyer’s website who deals with immigration, this is for information only. I do not endorse nor recommend this lawyer. Only I am forced to site where the information came from, this information may be protected.

"What documents are necessary to determine a bona fide marriage?

By McCoy Law Office

1.Photographs that show both spouses together and with family and friends. These photographs can be taken at the wedding, at other functions or events, and throughout their relationship.

2.Letters between the couple before the marriage, with their postmarked envelope.

3.Evidence of trips the couple has taken together, including bills and receipts reflecting hotel stays, car rental, plane tickets, postcards sent to family members while on the trip.

4.Birth certificates of children of the marriage.

5.Copies of joint income tax returns.

6.Evidence of joint checking or savings accounts.

7.Photo ID cards of both spouses with a new card for the wife showing her married name.

8.Driver's licenses, credit cards, check cashing cards, employment ID cards, video club memberships, etc. for both parties.

9.Real property deeds showing joint tenancy.

10.Apartment lease or a letter from the landlord indicating that both spouses live at the apartment or copies of rent receipts showing both parties' names.

11.Letter from an employer showing a change in records to reflect the spouses' new marital status.

12.Letter from an employer showing designation of the spouse as the person to be notified in event of accident, sickness, or other emergency.

13.Evidence of life insurance policies where the spouse is named as beneficiary.

14.Evidence of medical or health insurance plans, which name the spouse as a member or beneficiary.

15.Evidence of correspondence between parties, including letters, birthday and holiday cards, telephone calls, and other correspondence addressed to the parties.

16.Religious marriage certificates if the couple had a church wedding.

17.Copies of gas, electric, telephone and other utility bills.

18.Evidence of joint ownership of an automobile.

19.Evidence of all major purchases made together, such as stereo, television, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.

20.Pictures of spouse and family.

"

What documents are necessary to determine a bona fide marriage?

I think the information makes good sense, I did this whole process by myself but thanks to Google and other search hosts I was able to find all the documentation I need. This is my first and only time I will ever be going through this immigration system!

For those of you who are thinking about the process, its very hard and requires a lot of time and effort. Be prepared! Read read read and just a hint. The USCIS website offers the exact information as to how to prepare your packet and the way they want it assembled and mailed. I followed every bit of information to the way they wanted it, even the whole punch on top!

But most important I would have to say is human input. This site is a great source for that! But we need people to communicate more, and not divulge private case related information, but nevertheless communication is key. Please do not let this site turn in to one of the million lost websites that contain information from the 1990's. If every one of us utilizes this site regularly then it will keep the information current and provide many more people to come with updated information and can be a big help!

Thank you

Timeline

HEY GUYS... I HAVE A QUESTION.....

THIS LONG WAIT IS REALLY DRIVING ME INSANE AND IM SUPER DEPRESSED SO I THINK IM GOING TO HEAD BACK TO ECUADOR TO BE WITH MY HUSBAND... BUT SINCE I GOT DENIED ENTRY TO ECUA FOR 9MONTHS WITH MY US PASSPORT, IM THINKING OF GOING FOR THE DUAL CITIZENSHIP AND ENTERING ECUADOR WITH MY ECUADORIAN PASSPORT... NOW SINCE I WILL BE AN ECUADORIAN RESIDENT, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO SPEED UP THIS PROCESS?? MAYBE GO TO THE GUAYAQUIL CONSULATE AND APPLY DIRECTLY THERE SINCE I AM AN ECUADORIAN RESIDENT???? WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND??? AND SHOULD I STILL ASK FOR A VISA IN THE ECUADORIAN CONSULATE TO LET ME ENTER ECUADOR WITH MY US PASSPORT EVEN IF I HAVE MY ECUADORIAN PASSPORT?? I AM ALSO GOING TO RENT A PLACE WITH MY HUSBAND... WE ALREADY HAVE A JOINT BANK ACCOUNT IN PRODUBANCO. WE OPENED IT WITH MY US PASSPORT AND HIS CEDULA.. I AM THE MAIN PERSON ON THE ACCOUNT BUT I GAVE HIM ALL PERMISSIONS TO MAKE ANY REQUESTS, CHANGES, SIGNATURES OR ANY PETITIONS AND REQUESTS ON OUR BANK ACCOUNT... WITHOUT ME HAVING TO BE THERE OR GIVE ANY AUTHORIZATION.

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS... AND WHAT SHOULD I DO??? OUR CASE IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW BY USCIS.... I GO TO THE SITE AND THIS IS WHAT IS TELLS ME:

Post Decision Activity

On July 1, 2010, a USCIS office received this case from the State Department with a request that we review it. We will notify you when we complete our review, or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

CALLED THE NUMBER AND SAYS THEY TAKE UPTO 4 MONTHS TO REVIEW THE CASE... SO IF I DON'T HEAR BACK FROM THEM BY NOVEMBER1, 2010; TO GIVE THEM A CALL... SHOULD I CALL THEM AND TELL THEM I WILL BE IN ECUADOR THEN AND IF I COULD DO DCF, SINCE I WILL BE THERE??? DO YOU THINK THIS WILL SPEED UP THE CASE OR DELAY IT MORE???? HELP PLEASE!!!!

:cry:

Edited by StephyDanny

NVC JOURNEY:

09/21/09: AOS Fee ($70)Requested, And DS3032 Copy Sent To Me By Mail

09/28/09: Emailed Husband DS3032 For Him To Fill Out And Mail

10/01/09: Husband Sent DS3032 To NVC Via Express Mail

10/05/09: Paid AOS Fee Online

10/06/09: Status Shows Paid on Payment Site

10/14/09: DS3032 Aproved and IV Fee Bill Recieved by mail

10/15/09: Paid IV Fee Online

10/16/09: Status shows paid on payment site

10/17/09: Emailed Husband DS230 Part 1 & 2 Along With All Required Info for him to fill out/and send

10/23/09: I864 Sent Via USPS Regular Mail (Took a long time to find sponsors :(

10/26/09: Husband Sent DS230 Along With All Documents To NVC Via EXPRESS MAIL

11/06/09: NVC Recieved All Our Documents & Case is in review

11/10/09: Case still being reviewed as per AVR..

12/04/09: RFE!! DS230 Question about where he's lived since the age of 16 has a gap! Another setback!! :'(

12/05/09: Sent out completed DS230 EXPRESS MAIL!

12/10/09: AVR States DS230 Checklist recieved..

12/16/09: SIGN-IN FAILED!!!

12/17/09: CASE COMPLETE AT NVC!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 02/17/10!!! DENIED FOR NO APPARENT REASON.. :'(

Filed: Country:
Timeline

HEY GUYS... I HAVE A QUESTION.....

THIS LONG WAIT IS REALLY DRIVING ME INSANE AND IM SUPER DEPRESSED SO I THINK IM GOING TO HEAD BACK TO ECUADOR TO BE WITH MY HUSBAND... BUT SINCE I GOT DENIED ENTRY TO ECUA FOR 9MONTHS WITH MY US PASSPORT, IM THINKING OF GOING FOR THE DUAL CITIZENSHIP AND ENTERING ECUADOR WITH MY ECUADORIAN PASSPORT... NOW SINCE I WILL BE AN ECUADORIAN RESIDENT, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO SPEED UP THIS PROCESS?? MAYBE GO TO THE GUAYAQUIL CONSULATE AND APPLY DIRECTLY THERE SINCE I AM AN ECUADORIAN RESIDENT???? WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND??? AND SHOULD I STILL ASK FOR A VISA IN THE ECUADORIAN CONSULATE TO LET ME ENTER ECUADOR WITH MY US PASSPORT EVEN IF I HAVE MY ECUADORIAN PASSPORT?? I AM ALSO GOING TO RENT A PLACE WITH MY HUSBAND... WE ALREADY HAVE A JOINT BANK ACCOUNT IN PRODUBANCO. WE OPENED IT WITH MY US PASSPORT AND HIS CEDULA.. I AM THE MAIN PERSON ON THE ACCOUNT BUT I GAVE HIM ALL PERMISSIONS TO MAKE ANY REQUESTS, CHANGES, SIGNATURES OR ANY PETITIONS AND REQUESTS ON OUR BANK ACCOUNT... WITHOUT ME HAVING TO BE THERE OR GIVE ANY AUTHORIZATION.

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS... AND WHAT SHOULD I DO??? OUR CASE IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW BY USCIS.... I GO TO THE SITE AND THIS IS WHAT IS TELLS ME:

Post Decision Activity

On July 1, 2010, a USCIS office received this case from the State Department with a request that we review it. We will notify you when we complete our review, or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

CALLED THE NUMBER AND SAYS THEY TAKE UPTO 4 MONTHS TO REVIEW THE CASE... SO IF I DON'T HEAR BACK FROM THEM BY NOVEMBER1, 2010; TO GIVE THEM A CALL... SHOULD I CALL THEM AND TELL THEM I WILL BE IN ECUADOR THEN AND IF I COULD DO DCF, SINCE I WILL BE THERE??? DO YOU THINK THIS WILL SPEED UP THE CASE OR DELAY IT MORE???? HELP PLEASE!!!!

:cry:

Hey StephyDanny, I really hope that things work out as soon as possible. In order to do a direct consular file, you have to have spent 6 continual months in Ecuador, so after you receive residency/citizenship in Ecuador, you need to spend 6 months in Ecuador with your husband before you apply directly. The good news is that the actual process is much faster...I have heard that it takes about 2 months (so you are looking at being there for 8 months in all, although that is only what I have heard, reality might be different). If you enter Ecuador on an Ecuadorian passport, there is no need to get a visa to Ecuador, but make sure that you take your American passport so that you can re-enter the United States...my understanding is that when you return to the US, they will not really care that you used an Ecuadorian passport to enter and leave Ecuador.

As far as all of the Ecuadorian passport stuff, if you have not already, I have always found that the Ecuadorian consulate in Washington DC is extremely helpful with any questions you might have...I have not had the same luck with regional consulates like in Chicago.

Timeline

StephyDanny,

If you are not a dual national now, you must seek help from the consulate that has authority over your place of residence. The only way you will be able to gain Ecuadorian nationality ( if you arent already) would be to petition the MMRREE ( Ministrio del Relacciones Exterories) sorry for my spelling. But it is a process. The good part is lawyers there are very reasonable. I know because I am an american citizen who was living in Ecuador with visitor visa's. The consulate can generally give you a visa for 3 months or 6 months. They are names 12-X or a 12-IX and are very easy to obtain. Once you get in Ecuador you can apply for either your citizenship or the "green card" that will alow you to live in Ecuador and you will get a Cedula. I have a Censo which is the id card for foreign persons.

If you need information about the process just ask, I have been through it. My friend over stayed her visa 12 months in visa, and was kicked out for 9 months. She went to home to New york and I helped her get a visa for 6 months and stuff. The consulates are willing to work with people and help them. The re-entered ecuador with no issues. Make sure you have your marraige certificate!

To get the green card for ecuador you will have to order a few documents from the USA

1. Birth Certificate ( must have it apostilled)

2. Medical Certificate and HIV test ( have it notarised and apostilled)

3.Police Certificate from local authority stating you have no criminal background. ( have it notarised and apostilled)

Now to get the ecuador tourist visa they will require that and a bank statement, and the documents to not have to be apostilled. When you go to apply for ur dual citizenship/ green card which ever one you choose you will need to havce the documents apostilled in the USA which means they will be accepted in a foreign country. In the USA the dept. of state will do the apostille, in Ecuador the MMRREE will do the apostille. There is a process for everything. I can explain it more if you need.

Timeline

Also for DCF, you need to live in that country under a residency visa for 6 months. Contact the consulate to verrify. I was living in Ecuador for a while and I was not able to DCF. If you already filed the petition for your husband, you can not DCF as you have a case pending. Your best bet would be to contact your local congressmen and speak with them. It helped me out, the NVC tried to play stupid with my case and the night I signed the auth. paperwork for the congressmen my case was approved at the NVC. Or you could get a lawyer and file a writ of mandamus which basically if you win forces them to take action. Writ of Mandamus is latan for basically " we command" in Latin. But like I said, your best bet would be to contact your local congressmen and tell him your issue, and wait it out.

Also your case was denied from what i read, so the process is your case gets sent back to USCIS with a recommendation to revoke the approval. They will then review it and contact you. After you prove to them your a real couple, they will re send the petition back through the system and have a new interview date. Your medical exams are good for 1 year. As per the immigrant visa processing fees, I have no clue if you will be required to pay them again.

Why was your case denied? What was the offical reason for the denial?

Timeline

Hopefully this has no impact on upcoming interviews. I know that it appears that only UIO has been affected, but maybe it could spread to Guayaquil's airport too. Also, a lot of people fly into Quito instead of Guayaquil (like I will probably do) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11447519

edit: I cannot get any news source from Ecuador to work. It seems that El comercio, el universo, ecuavisa and teleamazonas' websites are all not working

Edited by Indy90

Timeline

I'm going crazy!! Im supposed to fly over there tomorrow for my husbands interview next Tuesday and they closed all the airports.. :crying:

I'm getting all the info from http://www.eluniverso.com/ and they also blocked most of the streets and highways and my husband is at work and he works far so he needs to get una "carretera" to get home and I dont know anything about him right now (so far they have robbed 2 banks in Guayaquil and a bunch of little stores) I just hope he is okay :(

Timeline
(so far they have robbed 2 banks in Guayaquil and a bunch of little stores)
This is below quota for robberies in Guayaquil. :wacko: Looks like Mrs. T-B. & I got out of there just in time (Monday). I'm surprised that the puercos had the energy to do anything other than ignore their duties & shake people down for $20 bribes. Guayaquil is probably large enough that the puercos can't block either all of the city streets or the airport runways. Let's try to keep this thread focused on the consulate, please, si man.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Just heard from Mrs. T-B., who just got off the phone with her dad. All is quiet in her little hometown (Gualaquiza), but the chapas are trying to rob businesses in Quito, Guayaquil, & Cuenca. Most businesses are staying closed due to fear. No word on the Guayaquil airport, but Correa got tear-gassed (ja!). My guess is that order will be restored today sometime. Wouldn't put it past the Consulate, however, to say "We don't care if national civil unrest didn't allow you to fly in to the country. You missed your interview appointment, and we're refusing the visa." This would be just like them. Hope it's untrue, si man.

Timeline

Just heard from Mrs. T-B., who just got off the phone with her dad. All is quiet in her little hometown (Gualaquiza), but the chapas are trying to rob businesses in Quito, Guayaquil, & Cuenca. Most businesses are staying closed due to fear. No word on the Guayaquil airport, but Correa got tear-gassed (ja!). My guess is that order will be restored today sometime. Wouldn't put it past the Consulate, however, to say "We don't care if national civil unrest didn't allow you to fly in to the country. You missed your interview appointment, and we're refusing the visa." This would be just like them. Hope it's untrue, si man.

That would be pretty ridiculous. Every US airline has cancelled todays flights to Quito and American Airlines (the online US airline that currently flies year round to Guayaquil) also canceled their flights today to Guayaquil. Tomorrow's flights still say that they are not cancelled, although I imagine that that depends on further developments. Iberia's flight today to Guayaquil was diverted to Bogota. Quito's airport's website is really easy to use and you can see the status of all of the flights, but Guayaquil's website seems to not be so useful. I have not heard anything about Guayaquil's airport, but it seems that at least international flights are not landing. I would definitely call the airline for information as soon as possible if you are planning on flying to Ecuador anytime soon.

Edit: I found this bit of information about Guayaquil's airport http://www.eluniverso.com/2010/09/30/1/1447/aerolinea-lan-ecuador-informa-suspension-operaciones-seguridad.html?p=1354A&m=

Edited by Indy90

Timeline

I'm going crazy!! Im supposed to fly over there tomorrow for my husbands interview next Tuesday and they closed all the airports.. :crying:

I'm getting all the info from http://www.eluniverso.com/ and they also blocked most of the streets and highways and my husband is at work and he works far so he needs to get una "carretera" to get home and I dont know anything about him right now (so far they have robbed 2 banks in Guayaquil and a bunch of little stores) I just hope he is okay :(

Did you manage to get to Guayaquil? I think all of the flights are running today, although some are delayed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.