490 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That would be great, I leave for Guayaquil on October 4th, I know alot of people in Guayaquil. My wife used to work for Popular Brokerage and she introduced me to ALOT of people! Its been fun, but kinda scared.. I mean you read nothing but bad reviews... Then again they are a few years old!

Yes, I know it is a bit scary, all those bad reviews get me kind of nervous :blush:

but yeah you are right they are old reviews.. hopefully we can make some new good reviews!

I dont know how you were able to live in Ecuador, Ive been spending weeks over there with my husband and my family (since I was also born in Ecuador and I came to the US 9 years ago with my mom) but i dont think ill be able to go back there to live there.. I even got robbed at gun point last year on a Friday at 1pm :( but anyways, I'm going to send you my husband cell # on a message ok? just feel free to call that night and Ill tell you how it went! but then u have to call me after your interview to let me know how yours went :thumbs:

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Yes, I know it is a bit scary, all those bad reviews get me kind of nervous :blush:

but yeah you are right they are old reviews.. hopefully we can make some new good reviews!

I dont know how you were able to live in Ecuador, Ive been spending weeks over there with my husband and my family (since I was also born in Ecuador and I came to the US 9 years ago with my mom) but i dont think ill be able to go back there to live there.. I even got robbed at gun point last year on a Friday at 1pm :( but anyways, I'm going to send you my husband cell # on a message ok? just feel free to call that night and Ill tell you how it went! but then u have to call me after your interview to let me know how yours went :thumbs:

It does seem that the reviews are getting a bit better...there was even a recent case where someone got approved despite the USC not being present at the interview. On the other hand, there have also been several recent cases that have gone horribly; check out StephyDanny in February. I imagine that a number of people at the consulate have been rotated out and new people have come in, causing some changes to happen (something that happens to all US consulates every couple of years), but a number of the old people still remain, making it kind of hit and miss.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Words to keep living by: [1] Prepare as though your interview will be exactly as bad as the worst one that's been reported (other "worst" ones have not been reported). [2] Both halves of the couple MUST BE THERE for the FIRST interview, or there's a 99.44% chance of failure.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

It does seem that the reviews are getting a bit better...there was even a recent case where someone got approved despite the USC not being present at the interview. On the other hand, there have also been several recent cases that have gone horribly; check out StephyDanny in February. I imagine that a number of people at the consulate have been rotated out and new people have come in, causing some changes to happen (something that happens to all US consulates every couple of years), but a number of the old people still remain, making it kind of hit and miss.

Hopefully they have been rotated and I wish you all the very best in your interview..

I went with my husband to his initial interview with A LOT of proof, yet they still turned us down. :crying::crying: THEY DID NOT EVEN BOTHER LOOKING AT ALL THE EVIDENCE. OUR CONGRESSMAN COULDNT DO ANYTHING AT ALL.. Now all we can do is wait.. But this soledad is honestly killing us inside... Im thinking of going back to Ecuador to visit my husband in November(but only for 1 week because of work)because I cant deal with the pain of having him so far away.. :crying::crying:

Our Journey Started almost 1 1/2 years ago!! I honestly dont know how much longer it's gonna take us. After his denial, it has been an emotional roller coaster for us.. It's affecting our lives alot.. I have had 2 spontaneous miscarriages, he has gone to the hospital for depression attacks, and all because of the stress and emotional pain we go through by not being together. I WAS EVEN BANNED FROM GOING BACK TO ECUADOR UNTIL AFTER 9 MONTHS GO BY BECAUSE I HAVE OVERSTAYED MY TOURIST VISA TO BE WITH HIM. BUT I HONESTLY DONT CARE. I NOW HAVE MY DOUBLE CITICENSHIP AND WILL USE MY ECUADORIAN PASSPORT TO SEE HIM.. He is all I have and I think it's only fair to be with the one you love... I hope we have an answer soon. AND A POSITIVE ONE... I wouldn't be able to deal with anymore heartache and pain. I will continue keeping you guys posted..

THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE EVERYONE IS GO WITH YOUR SPOUSE/FIANCE TO THEIR INITIL INTERVIEW AND EXPECT THE WORSE.. THAT WAY IT WILL BE LESS PAINFUL IF YOU DO GET DENIED.. IT'S HONESTLY CHANCE AND ALOT OF LUCK IN THE GUAYAQUIL EMBASSY... :crying:(L)

NVC JOURNEY:

09/21/09: AOS Fee ($70)Requested, And DS3032 Copy Sent To Me By Mail

09/28/09: Emailed Husband DS3032 For Him To Fill Out And Mail

10/01/09: Husband Sent DS3032 To NVC Via Express Mail

10/05/09: Paid AOS Fee Online

10/06/09: Status Shows Paid on Payment Site

10/14/09: DS3032 Aproved and IV Fee Bill Recieved by mail

10/15/09: Paid IV Fee Online

10/16/09: Status shows paid on payment site

10/17/09: Emailed Husband DS230 Part 1 & 2 Along With All Required Info for him to fill out/and send

10/23/09: I864 Sent Via USPS Regular Mail (Took a long time to find sponsors :(

10/26/09: Husband Sent DS230 Along With All Documents To NVC Via EXPRESS MAIL

11/06/09: NVC Recieved All Our Documents & Case is in review

11/10/09: Case still being reviewed as per AVR..

12/04/09: RFE!! DS230 Question about where he's lived since the age of 16 has a gap! Another setback!! :'(

12/05/09: Sent out completed DS230 EXPRESS MAIL!

12/10/09: AVR States DS230 Checklist recieved..

12/16/09: SIGN-IN FAILED!!!

12/17/09: CASE COMPLETE AT NVC!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 02/17/10!!! DENIED FOR NO APPARENT REASON.. :'(

Timeline

thank you guys for all the advice.. I'm trying to get all my proof together but it seems like it's not even enough :(

these is what I have so far:

- emails from 2007 til now,

- handwritten letters

- pictures from 2004 til now (I even have professional pictures of our religious wedding that took place in July with 150 guests)

- wedding and honeymoon receipts

- phone logs

- Copies of my passport pages that shows I've been going to ecuador 1 time in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and then when we finally made everything official since I turned 21 last year Ive gone 9 times (July 09, Oct 09, Nov 09, Dec 09, Feb 10, May 10, July 10 and sept 10)

What else can I do? or need for the interview?? any suggestions??

btw Stephydanny I'm so sorry to hear that :( I don't know what I'll do if I was in your position but at least u have the ecuadorian citizenship now :/ please keep us updated!!

can u tell me the reason why they denied his visa?

Timeline

I have been living in Ecuador under tourist visas.

I overstayed my fist time, I had to get a lawyer to get me a 3 month extension and after that the consulate in New York got my a 6 month visa for reunificiion famailiar or how ever its spelt. So that enabled me to stay there. I just couldn’t work. I got a bank account @ banco bolivariano and i rent a house in villa Espana- Valencia. Its beautiful and cheap! I pay $120 monthly for a nice 2 story 3br house.

My visa time is almost up i have less than 1 month left, that is part of the reason i returned to ny and the RFE ( request for evidence) I got from USCIS because they lost my passport pictures. I am just so happy its almost done, my father in law just purchased my ticket to return to Ecuador October 4 so this should be great. I really am so excited! But people need to start posting their experiences, I sure know I will as soon as i find out what up. Its all about preparation!!! My lawyer buddy told me some times his clients come out in tears; they can be very intensive if you don’t have enough proof. Documentation is key!~~

They have to be able to justify their decision, and in most cases the more paperwork the better. And i have seen about having a USC spouse present, I have to agree 100%!!! The consulate told me I do not need to attend, because i wanted to re-enlist with the military but my lawyer told me that is crazy, if i don’t attend expect her to be denied.

So just to be safe, and its a hard thing. Be there for your spouse if you are a USC since it can be a very intense interview.

As soon as I get my visa app approved, i will post my whole process and experience.

Timeline

Also a good thing to have would be affidavits from your friends, family attesting to the relationship. This site has a good WIKI and the link is IR1 and CR1 WIKI

That has some good information about proof you need, and sample letters. Please see the section titled "Evidence of Bona fides of Marriage" and do a google search for that, remember the more the better!!! And make sure they see every sheet of paper you have. You have a right to do so!!! I am going to express that right when i give them over 1,000 pictures and paperwork up the wazoo!! :)

Timeline

O and almost forgot, if you were married less than 2 years they automatically assume the marraige is fraud. That is why they give you the CR-1 which is a conditional visa. At the end of 2 years you still must be married to the same person and do a joint petition to remove conditions. You will then get the 10 yr green card. But its crazy!! Especially when I read that stuff in the american consulates website. See attached link Appointments Scheduled by NVC This is the information packet from the consulate, with the information about getting the medical exam ( the immigrant needs) you can also do a google search for the shots needed. It is best to get the shots before hand, and present all shot certificates to the embassys medical exam doctor. See the list of 2 certified doctors for Guayaquil. The medical exam you need to bring the passport NOT CEDULA, and 2 passport pictures... I have my wifes passport, because she mailed it to me and i forgot to send it back. Guess shes not getting the medical exam any time soon!! lol

The link for vaccine requirements for immigrants are attached

Vaccine Requirements

Please do not flag my posts, this is not spam, only useful information for everyone!

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICANTS CONCERNING VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

United States immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis B

Influenza

Influenza type b (Hib)

Measles

Meningococcal

Mumps

Pneumococcal

Pertussis

Polio

Rotavirus

Rubella

Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids

Varicella

In order to assist the panel physican, and to avoid delays in the processing of an immigrant visa, all immigrant visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician's review at the time of the immigrant medical examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirement. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

Edited by Jeremy12095

Timeline

I know this is not exactly about the consulate in Guayaquil but I am a bit frustrated right now. We got a RFE from NVC because they said that my wife's blue birth certificate was not good enough and that they want a hand written copy from the civil registry. Maybe this will help someone in the future. I knew that we would need the hand written one for the interview but did not have one on hand when I sent the package to NVC.

However, what really frustrates me is that they want proof of my employment. Well, I was a student at the time! It was pretty clear on my application and I provided plenty of proof of my joint sponsors employment, which they had no problem with. Why do they want proof of my employment? Oh well, I have since started a job that pays considerably more than what is required, so maybe I wont have to use a joint sponsor after all...although I only started it a month ago, which might not be a long enough time.

I was originally hoping for a July interview, pushed it back to August and then September, but now we will be lucky to get our interview in October and very likely later, I think. My wife is going to have a fun time coming in the dead of winter.

On Page 7 of the below attached document, you will see what they accept and what is not accepted for the marraige certificates and birth certificates. You can find everything you need on the consulates website! :)

When you call the NVC at 1-603-334-0700 ask for supervisor sophia she works 4:30pm-12:00pm EST and she is verry helpful! She speaks fluent english and spanish and has been a big help to me.. When you call have the upmost respect for that women, she is very nice and very helpful. she may ask for your number to call back and trust me she will. Remember the basics. YES SIR / MAAM these people deal with every immigrant case for all of america. They get alot of stuff and are very over loaded. So be nice and calm and they will help you!!

Interview Packet

Edited by Jeremy12095

Timeline

On Page 7 of the below attached document, you will see what they accept and what is not accepted for the marraige certificates and birth certificates. You can find everything you need on the consulates website! :)

When you call the NVC at 1-603-334-0700 ask for supervisor sophia she works 4:30pm-12:00pm EST and she is verry helpful! She speaks fluent english and spanish and has been a big help to me.. When you call have the upmost respect for that women, she is very nice and very helpful. she may ask for your number to call back and trust me she will. Remember the basics. YES SIR / MAAM these people deal with every immigrant case for all of america. They get alot of stuff and are very over loaded. So be nice and calm and they will help you!!

Interview Packet

I happened to find the link that you attached the day I was sending in the documents to NVC last June...I was hoping that NVC wouldn't care. What really caused us problems was that my wife for some reason decided to send the needed birth certificate by Corros del Ecuador, and it took over a month to arrive, setting us way back. Correos del Ecuador is considerably cheaper than UPS or most other options and in general has gotten everything us with 7 days, but that was the second time now that they have taken over a month (the other being in the spring when some important documents that we needed, including my wife's passport) got lost in Bogota, Colombia somehow).

As for the I 864, I am 100 percent positive that the NVC agent who reviewed our documents made a mistake...I have called NVC about 10 times for a variety of reasons and have found them to be very helpful. When I called about the RFE, I was told that I had checked a box that I know I did not about employment. I entered in all of the information (except for the signature) on my computer and saved an exact copy. Oh well, there is nothing that we can do but wait now. Here is hoping for November.

Timeline

I happened to find the link that you attached the day I was sending in the documents to NVC last June...I was hoping that NVC wouldn't care. What really caused us problems was that my wife for some reason decided to send the needed birth certificate by Corros del Ecuador, and it took over a month to arrive, setting us way back. Correos del Ecuador is considerably cheaper than UPS or most other options and in general has gotten everything us with 7 days, but that was the second time now that they have taken over a month (the other being in the spring when some important documents that we needed, including my wife's passport) got lost in Bogota, Colombia somehow).

As for the I 864, I am 100 percent positive that the NVC agent who reviewed our documents made a mistake...I have called NVC about 10 times for a variety of reasons and have found them to be very helpful. When I called about the RFE, I was told that I had checked a box that I know I did not about employment. I entered in all of the information (except for the signature) on my computer and saved an exact copy. Oh well, there is nothing that we can do but wait now. Here is hoping for November.

Yeah when you send via Correos Del Ecuador, try to send it through express mail its only like $30, or if you send it regular make sure you sent it certificado its only like $3.00 extra and you get a tracking number. You can see where it is, where it goes and stuff. They normally go from Guayaquil to Quito then to the ISC for america theyre in tx,fl, ny, and ca i think..

Never send it non registered!!!!! I am still waiting on some things to be delivered 2 months ago..

Timeline

thank you guys for all the advice.. I'm trying to get all my proof together but it seems like it's not even enough :(

these is what I have so far:

- emails from 2007 til now,

- handwritten letters

- pictures from 2004 til now (I even have professional pictures of our religious wedding that took place in July with 150 guests)

- wedding and honeymoon receipts

- phone logs

- Copies of my passport pages that shows I've been going to ecuador 1 time in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and then when we finally made everything official since I turned 21 last year Ive gone 9 times (July 09, Oct 09, Nov 09, Dec 09, Feb 10, May 10, July 10 and sept 10)

What else can I do? or need for the interview?? any suggestions??

We have a couple of sworn affidavits, including several from USC friends who we both know and the Colombian citizen minister who married us. Showing proof of financial commingling is kind of difficult, but one thing that I have done is gotten my wife authorized on all of my credit cards. Most credits card issuers will be able to even send a letter saying that so and so has been added and therefore can purchase items. American Express even will show how much my wife spends per month and where (obviously Quito), which obviously shows some commingling. It is probably too late, but Banco Internacional will let an American citizen on a tourist visa open a joint bank account with his/her American spouse, which we have done. We also keep skype records and everytime my wife calls me from a cabina, she asks for a receipt. I think that our biggest mistake was not documenting our relationship more thoroughly before getting married...but we were not yet aware of the importance of evidence.

And TBone, I completely agree with you. Going to the interview is a must. I do think that things are slowly changing at the consulate based on recent reviews and conversations that I have had with others that have not posted reviews yet, but it is way too risky to even think about not using every means available, which includes attending the interview...even then it is not a guarantee, unfortunately, as several other recent cases show. Because Ecuador has a rather small volume size compared to countries like Colombia, the Philippines, Russia, etc., we really need EVERYONE here to post a review, and not just a review that says "it went well," so that we can actually see what things are like on the ground. There have been way too few quality reviews over the last 6 or so months.

Timeline

We have a couple of sworn affidavits, including several from USC friends who we both know and the Colombian citizen minister who married us. Showing proof of financial commingling is kind of difficult, but one thing that I have done is gotten my wife authorized on all of my credit cards. Most credits card issuers will be able to even send a letter saying that so and so has been added and therefore can purchase items. American Express even will show how much my wife spends per month and where (obviously Quito), which obviously shows some commingling. It is probably too late, but Banco Internacional will let an American citizen on a tourist visa open a joint bank account with his/her American spouse, which we have done. We also keep skype records and everytime my wife calls me from a cabina, she asks for a receipt. I think that our biggest mistake was not documenting our relationship more thoroughly before getting married...but we were not yet aware of the importance of evidence.

And TBone, I completely agree with you. Going to the interview is a must. I do think that things are slowly changing at the consulate based on recent reviews and conversations that I have had with others that have not posted reviews yet, but it is way too risky to even think about not using every means available, which includes attending the interview...even then it is not a guarantee, unfortunately, as several other recent cases show. Because Ecuador has a rather small volume size compared to countries like Colombia, the Philippines, Russia, etc., we really need EVERYONE here to post a review, and not just a review that says "it went well," so that we can actually see what things are like on the ground. There have been way too few quality reviews over the last 6 or so months.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention we have a joint bank account at Banco del Pacifico!

I dont have any sworn affidavits, so i should look into that... thanks :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sworn affidavits are a must -- mostly from the USC's side (more than 2 or 3 from the Ecu native's side may look fishy). Have a good mix from relatives, close friends, ministers, and ex-military people who know you. Here's an idea: When the foreign national is collecting your stuff at the interview window to (purportedly) give it to the CO, start with the affidavits, and insist that the foreign national read TWO of them ALOUD, verbatim, before you proceed any further. You're on audio & video from the moment you set foot inside The Hellhole, and your insistence could keep them from committing their usual monkeyshines, or at least throw them off their game plan.

The key action (too late for many, sadly) is to front-load the dickens out of your K-1 or CR-1 petition to USCIS.

Sidebar: A buddy of mine -- who got hosed at The Hellhole even worse than I did -- just made it to Ecu yesterday. His trip will overlap with mine (am leaving Saturday). He & I agreed that we should meet at the consulate and piss on the building, as a wholly inadequate expression of what we still think about that ####### place.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Sidebar: A buddy of mine -- who got hosed at The Hellhole even worse than I did -- just made it to Ecu yesterday. His trip will overlap with mine (am leaving Saturday). He & I agreed that we should meet at the consulate and piss on the building, as a wholly inadequate expression of what we still think about that ####### place.

haha let me know how it goes!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.