490 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I have a question and hopefully any of you can help me, :help: I just sent all my paperwork (DS230 & I-864) to the NVC and now i have to wait for them to review everything. I know they need the certificates handwritten and from the book, but I got married in the new registro civil de Guayaquil and they gave me a computer marriage certificate with all the stamps and stuff.. they dont have those from the books anymore like they do at el registro civil del sur. Do you think im going to have a problem with that? :unsure:

NVC emailed me a couple weeks ago saying that I needed the long birth certificate but did not say anything about the computer produced marriage certificate that I sent. However, my wife did obtain a hand written marriage certificate that we will take to the interview in the registro civil del sur. We were not married at that location though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

NVC emailed me a couple weeks ago saying that I needed the long birth certificate but did not say anything about the computer produced marriage certificate that I sent. However, my wife did obtain a hand written marriage certificate that we will take to the interview in the registro civil del sur. We were not married at that location though.

ohh I didn't know I can actually get a hand written marriage certificate from el registro civil del sur even if I got married en el del norte. Thank you so much for the info, I'm going to tell my husband to get one so we can have one ready.

Timeline

ohh I didn't know I can actually get a hand written marriage certificate from el registro civil del sur even if I got married en el del norte. Thank you so much for the info, I'm going to tell my husband to get one so we can have one ready.

I'll ask my wife again to make sure that that is what happened. If I forget to respond in the next day or two, just message me.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I'll ask my wife again to make sure that that is what happened. If I forget to respond in the next day or two, just message me.

Hi, I e-mailed "el consulado" from Guayaquil and I also called last week while i was in Ecuador to find out about the marriage certificate and they told me that if I got married after Nov. 2006 en el registro civil del norte then they accept the original marriage certificate from the books with all the official stamps even if its a computer form not a handwritten version. Just thought i should let you guys know! :)

Timeline

Regarding the marriage certificate issue

this is what they replied to my e-mail :

"Dear Mrs. Cortez:

Thank you again for contacting us. If you married in the Ecuadorian Civil Registry “Corporacion Registro Civil de Guayaquil” we will accept an original of them, If you married before November 2006, you need the handwritten marriage certificate.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Section

American Consulate General

Guayaquil, Ecuador"

Timeline

I think I got a little confused because of the picture that they post on the consulate website. In el registro civil del norte de Quito the computer version has a computerized font, but in the south you can get a computer print out that looks hand written...I think. From the consulate website, it looks like you minimally have to have the version that you get in the south that while computerized, is still looks hand written, but I am not sure if this is true or not. I know that I am not going to be taking any chances.

Hi, I e-mailed "el consulado" from Guayaquil and I also called last week while i was in Ecuador to find out about the marriage certificate and they told me that if I got married after Nov. 2006 en el registro civil del norte then they accept the original marriage certificate from the books with all the official stamps even if its a computer form not a handwritten version. Just thought i should let you guys know! :)

Timeline

My wife was born in France while her ecuadorian parents were stationed in Paris and she is ecuadorian not French. We got married at the corporacion registro civil de Guayaquil. We ordered our certificate of marriage in line. Don't use the machine. And they will have you go in the back and a lady will put the raised seal on it and then stamp it and sign it. If u are going to the USA. Go to the mmrree infront of the edit wtc and get it apostilled for 10 dollars. It's an easy process but takes a long time to wait. Then that certificate will be accepted in USA. I submitted that document to the Nvc and they accepted it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

And, as with all official documents from anywhere, it might be smart to try to get more than one copy, so that you'll have an extra "just in case," si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

My wife was born in France while her ecuadorian parents were stationed in Paris and she is ecuadorian not French. We got married at the corporacion registro civil de Guayaquil. We ordered our certificate of marriage in line. Don't use the machine. And they will have you go in the back and a lady will put the raised seal on it and then stamp it and sign it. If u are going to the USA. Go to the mmrree infront of the edit wtc and get it apostilled for 10 dollars. It's an easy process but takes a long time to wait. Then that certificate will be accepted in USA. I submitted that document to the Nvc and they accepted it.

Yes that's exactly what I had to do, I also went to see the lady in the back that put all the official stamps and they accepted the document at NVC, now I need to get another one for the interview that we are going to have OCt 5th :)

Timeline

Yes that's exactly what I had to do, I also went to see the lady in the back that put all the official stamps and they accepted the document at NVC, now I need to get another one for the interview that we are going to have OCt 5th :)

I have an interview October 6, finally this process is over. Its been hard living abroad... I ended up coming back to NY so I can get a job and save my visa time. I used up almost a whole year of visa's. I have less than 1 month remaining on my visa for ecuador and im done for a year i guess... The Ecuadorian consulate in new york has been really good and helpful..

I just cant wait to get back in the military, i put my life on hold and was living in ecuador. My recuiter told me he cant get me to re enlist untill my wife is here because he has to run her through security checks..

Timeline

I must say, this whole process has been crazy! I started the process December 24 2009, In march i had to return to respond to a Request for Evidence, they lost my passport pictures and my G-325A, I wrote a long email to CIS Military and 1 day after I sent my paperwork in they approved my petition. Now keep in mind for basically over a year, i've been living with my wife in Ecuador. So i had no job, no income on the books. Only the cash I had saved up. I dont like bank accounts!!! I decided to stay in NY because any point in the processing they can give you a request for evidence... Well a week ago I got a RFE from the NVC, my co-sponsor is born in Puerto Rico, and the NVC told me they couldnt accept his birth certificate because it was issued pre July 1 2010, and asked me to order a new copy and re send it. And allow 6-8 weeks for a review. Well that was BS.... The law that puerto rico made origonally invalidated PRBCR's as of July 1 2010, was pushed to September 30, 2010 so they still should have accepted his birth certificate. It took me speaking for a supervisor, and then I called up the Department of State Visa line and asked for a supervisor, then I called my local congressmen and signed the release. After 2 days of fighting with these people directing them to the USCIS and DOS information site saying they would still accept the PCBR's, I got a call late night, from a NVC supervisor telling me that they have recieved notice from DOS ( Dept. Of State), they will be accepting my birth certificate and my case was approved on September 3 2010....

It has been hard, I had to get a job and leave my wife in Ecuador... I am paying on 2 houses, thank god I rent my house in guayaquil for verry cheap. My wife has lost her job and its been crazy.... Thank god for the Magic jack.. Guys I dont know what I would do. Last time I went to NY it cost me over 500 for intl calling in 1 week. With the magic jack, she has a local New York phone number and it rings on a regular phone. I call my wife every day and basically every minute....

But part of the affidavit of support is you must have a residence in NY, they dont care about the job as long as you have a co-sponsor. So hopefully soon I can stop paying for 2 places. My fatherinlaw has been putting my airplane tickets on his credit card, because I have been traveling alot back and forth. Thank god for the 3 y 6 y 9 pagos sin intrests, so I can pay him back over time.

To anyone who is about to interview, prepair your self , verry well! My lawyer friend told me, since they assume every relationship is fraud they require additional proof. It is better to flood them with paperwork and pictures and information to help them justify their decision to approve your visa.

This is taken from the american consulates website

"Marital relationship: Unfortunately, we have found that there is a great deal of fraud

involved in marriages or fiancée visas, which confer immigration benefits. This high

level of fraud makes it imperative that we see concrete evidence to support your claim to

a visa based on marriage or engagement. In the past, the following types of

documentation have proven helpful in the adjudication of any of these visa cases:"

Now as an american, I have always believed we are innocent untill proven guilty... I guess this is the other way around. I have wrote my congress men about that also. I have been living in ecuador but took trips away through out that process to work and get more money. I was unable to work in Ecuador under a tourist visa... I could get the Ecuadorian Green card but its a process and the lawyer fee is kinda high. But I guess all anyone can do, is say a prayer the day before and the day of... And prepair your self mentally and have every single piece of paper you can think of from recipts for dinner and everything.. And show up early to the interview. Its best to be the first few people in line, then to be the last... Its logic.. If you are an immigration officer, who has interviewed 100 people, its best to be the first few then the last guy, the last few will genreally get the brush off and more likely asked to come back again..

Please to everyone on this site, post your embassy reviews after your cases are approved. I see alot that were posted a while ago..

Thank you!

Timeline

I have an interview October 6, finally this process is over. Its been hard living abroad... I ended up coming back to NY so I can get a job and save my visa time. I used up almost a whole year of visa's. I have less than 1 month remaining on my visa for ecuador and im done for a year i guess... The Ecuadorian consulate in new york has been really good and helpful..

I just cant wait to get back in the military, i put my life on hold and was living in ecuador. My recuiter told me he cant get me to re enlist untill my wife is here because he has to run her through security checks..

Wow! I read your whole story on the other post, and Im glad you finally have an interview date!! :thumbs: In my case, i cant complaint that much, I submitted the I-130 on March 18th and I never got an RFE not even from the NVC, but still the waiting part was killing me! :blush: I've been traveling every 2 months for the past year just to spend some time with him, and it got to the point where I didnt have any more time off from work and I just want to be with him.. Imagine i only work a part-time and all the plane tickets are very expensive.. so Im finally happy to travel next month for the interview and lets hope for the best!!! ;)

I have the interview a day before yours.. and Ill be traveling to Ecuador 2 days before, If you want i can give you my husband cell phone number so you can call me Oct 5th at night and I'll tell you how it went so you can be ready and stuff.

Oh and by the way, My husband also has a magic jack with a Miami number!! It feels great to talk to them anytime you want without the expensive phone bill :D

Timeline

Wow! I read your whole story on the other post, and Im glad you finally have an interview date!! :thumbs: In my case, i cant complaint that much, I submitted the I-130 on March 18th and I never got an RFE not even from the NVC, but still the waiting part was killing me! :blush: I've been traveling every 2 months for the past year just to spend some time with him, and it got to the point where I didnt have any more time off from work and I just want to be with him.. Imagine i only work a part-time and all the plane tickets are very expensive.. so Im finally happy to travel next month for the interview and lets hope for the best!!! ;)

I have the interview a day before yours.. and Ill be traveling to Ecuador 2 days before, If you want i can give you my husband cell phone number so you can call me Oct 5th at night and I'll tell you how it went so you can be ready and stuff.

Oh and by the way, My husband also has a magic jack with a Miami number!! It feels great to talk to them anytime you want without the expensive phone bill :D

That would be great, I leave for Guayaquil on October 4th, I know alot of people in Guayaquil. My wife used to work for Popular Brokerage and she introduced me to ALOT of people! Its been fun, but kinda scared.. I mean you read nothing but bad reviews... Then again they are a few years old!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.