kcmetzy

After reading this..

78 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Check this story out, in case you haven't seen it yet. Illustrates special treatment VERY WELL:

http://www.immigrateusa.us/index.php?optio...2&Itemid=69

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/us/06deport.html

I feel like everyone should get their fair shot, not just "celebrities." In this case, had she been ANYONE else, things would not have been so simple. Looks like the whole thing took about a week!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you eveyone for your comments wishes support and caring for and about us.

when I read that I should record a song the first one to enter my mind is "We shall overcome" and it is still the one I feel is fitting. Politics and politicians are not and never will be logical and will not do what is right unless they benefit personnally. Laws are made to be broken and who best to break them than the ones who made them.

My sole reason for not liking Debbie is that she added to my folder that she smelt alcohol and thought I was drinking before the meeting, ((24 yrs sober)) I am sure that if that was not in my file I would have been south of the border months ago because I beleive that the criminal offense ((32 yrs ago)) would not have been an issue as it seems to have been added as a second thought. As for Amy Winehouse and others if they can get what they want when they want it all the more power to them.

All together now!!!!!

1. We shall overcome

We shall overcome

We shall overcome some day

Chorus:

Oh deep in my heart

I do believe

2. We'll walk hand in hand

We'll walk hand in hand

We'll walk hand in hand some day

Chorus: 3. We shall all be free

We shall all be free

We shall all be free some day

Chorus:

4. We are not afraid

We are not afraid

We are not afraid today

Chorus:

5. We are not alone

We are not alone

We are not alone today

Chorus:

6. The whole wide world around

The whole wide world around

The whole wide world around some day

Chorus: 7. We shall overcome

We shall overcome

Chorus:

Lyrics derived from Charles Tindley's gospel song "I'll Overcome Some Day" (1900), and opening and closing melody from the 19th-century spiritual "No More Auction Block for Me" (a song that dates to before the Civil War). According to Professor Donnell King of Pellissippi State Technical Community College (in Knoxville, Tenn.), "We Shall Overcome" was adapted from these gospel songs by "Guy Carawan, Candy Carawan, and a couple of other people associated with the Highlander Research and Education Center

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

The standard for waivering inadmissability for a "visit" visa is far lower that the standard for immigration. You really can't compare getting a waiver for a short duration visit with a waiver where the person will have permanent residence. For short visits, they will take factors into consideration that aren't factors for immigrants--such as the purpose of the visit, how long they will stay, how likely it is that they will fulfill the purpose of their visit and how likely it is that they will depart the US once the purpose of the visit has been completed. An immigrant isn't expected to depart at all.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

when I read that I should record a song the first one to enter my mind is "We shall overcome" and it is still the one I feel is fitting. Politics and politicians are not and never will be logical and will not do what is right unless they benefit personnally. Laws are made to be broken and who best to break them than the ones who made them.

My sole reason for not liking Debbie is that she added to my folder that she smelt alcohol and thought I was drinking before the meeting, ((24 yrs sober)) I am sure that if that was not in my file I would have been south of the border months ago because I beleive that the criminal offense ((32 yrs ago)) would not have been an issue as it seems to have been added as a second thought. As for Amy Winehouse and others if they can get what they want when they want it all the more power to them.

All together now!!!!!

1. We shall overcome

We shall overcome

Chorus:

Oh deep in my heart

I do believe

We'll walk hand in hand

We shall all be free

Chorus:

4. We are not afraid

We are not afraid

We are not afraid today

Chorus:

5. We are not alone

We are not alone

We are not alone today

Chorus:

We shall overcome

Chorus:

Lyrics derived from Charles Tindley's gospel song "I'll Overcome Some Day" (1900), and opening and closing melody from the 19th-century spiritual "No More Auction Block for Me" (a song that dates to before the Civil War). According to Professor Donnell King of Pellissippi State Technical Community College (in Knoxville, Tenn.), "We Shall Overcome" was adapted from these gospel songs by "Guy Carawan, Candy Carawan, and a couple of other people associated with the Highlander Research and Education Center

A most perfect choice dear Ron.

Your story is so Kafka-esque...I felt the same way when turned back at the border last January.

It was like trying to reason with Dumb and Dumber (no, I have not seen the move; my friend who was with me the second time I went in March quoted that).

Reason and logic have no place in these processes.

If they did, you would have been in a looooooong time ago.

The question is this: what are "they" afraid of?

And yes, I agree that whoever can get what they need out of life, I also say MORE POWER TO 'EM.

I mean really, we are all born on this one tiny planet and I am one who declares that there should be no restrictions. (L) Just love. (L)

One day when I am emperor, I will be sure to repair this.

Bahahaha!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nice articles.

That is why I am running for Supreme Ruler of the United States of Canada. Maybe I can get my husband down here then!

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: Timeline

All together now!!!!!

1. We shall overcome

We shall overcome

Chorus:

Oh deep in my heart

I do believe

We'll walk hand in hand

We shall all be free

Chorus:

4. We are not afraid

We are not afraid

We are not afraid today

Chorus:

5. We are not alone

We are not alone

We are not alone today

Chorus:

We shall overcome

Chorus:

My dearest friend!!! I miss you on the boards. And you KNOW we have your back my man. OH! You might want to contact suzie here in VJ - she has access to a radio show that will continue and the topic is our topic. any news from DC????

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My dearest friend!!! I miss you on the boards. And you KNOW we have your back my man. OH! You might want to contact suzie here in VJ - she has access to a radio show that will continue and the topic is our topic. any news from DC???

I have never left, couldn't even if I tried, but I do try and not post often as I tend to dwell on my issue rather than on those of others good or bad. I wish I could be as I was prior to our interview but the interview has changed my train of thought and for now my ability to be writing with total sincerity without seeming false, the consulate has temporarily placed a wall between my mind and my heart. I would love to be congratulating everyone that has been passing through Montreal and Vancouver, and everyone else in the Canada forum for their progress and sympathise with those who are also going through a rough period in the process. Lenina, I do appreciate both you and Bren, you and the many others here who have been a great support to Sharon and I, and with everyone here being so supportive we won't give up or fail and our load is more than halved because the weight is spread far and wide amongst sincere caring souls.

From the ombudsman: We cannot help you as your issue is a legal one. This was regarding a question about Debbie.

As for the package sent to Dr. Gonzalez in August and signed for, there has been no reply, call or correspondence what-so-ever.

SpiritAlight, your question was: what are "they" afraid of? Well much like yourself I don't know, the I-601 in my view is useless for the simple reason that all the answers they are wanting were in the documents brought to the interview and kept there minus the blood test for an alcohol level. There has to be a reason that escapes us and maybe I will get the answer one day.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

I have never left, couldn't even if I tried, but I do try and not post often as I tend to dwell on my issue rather than on those of others good or bad. I wish I could be as I was prior to our interview but the interview has changed my train of thought and for now my ability to be writing with total sincerity without seeming false, the consulate has temporarily placed a wall between my mind and my heart. I would love to be congratulating everyone that has been passing through Montreal and Vancouver, and everyone else in the Canada forum for their progress and sympathise with those who are also going through a rough period in the process. Lenina, I do appreciate both you and Bren, you and the many others here who have been a great support to Sharon and I, and with everyone here being so supportive we won't give up or fail and our load is more than halved because the weight is spread far and wide amongst sincere caring souls.

From the ombudsman: We cannot help you as your issue is a legal one. This was regarding a question about Debbie.

As for the package sent to Dr. Gonzalez in August and signed for, there has been no reply, call or correspondence what-so-ever.

SpiritAlight, your question was:

what are "they" afraid of? Well much like yourself I don't know, the I-601 in my view is useless for the simple reason that all the answers they are wanting were in the documents brought to the interview and kept there minus the blood test for an alcohol level. There has to be a reason that escapes us and maybe I will get the answer one day.

Brother - I can only begin to understand how you feel. I asume you also sent a letter to the Ambassador in Ottawa and the Consul General in MTL, right?

how is Sharon holding up? Tried sending you a PM but didn't work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Winehouse gets visa, but will miss Grammys

‘Logistics and timing complications’ won’t allow singer to attend awards

Kevork Djansezian / AP

Singer Amy Winehouse is nominated for six Grammy Awards.

View related photos

Slide show

Ladies of R&B

From Beyonce's bouncy pop presence to Jill Scott's jazzy take, these women prove that R&B comes in many forms.

updated 4:47 p.m. CT, Fri., Feb. 8, 2008

LONDON - Amy Winehouse’s visa came through, but not in time for the rehabbing singer to make the trip to Los Angeles for the Grammy Awards, her representatives said Friday.

Winehouse will go ahead with her backup plan to perform live via satellite from a studio in London, where she would also be available to accept any awards she may win during Sunday’s ceremony. Winehouse and her acclaimed “Back to Black” album are nominated for Grammys in six categories.

“Unfortunately, due to the logistics involved and timing complications, Amy will not be traveling to the U.S. to perform at the Grammys in person,” the Outside Organization said in a statement.

Winehouse’s original visa application was denied under U.S. immigration rules regarding the “use and abuse of narcotics,” a senior State Department official said Friday, on condition of anonymity because the U.S. Embassy in London’s application deliberations are confidential.

The Department of Homeland Security had been “rapidly” processing her appeal, the official said. But the reversal, barely 48 hours before the beginning of the telecast, came too late.

“Amy would like to thank all of those people, in particular the staff involved at the U.S. Embassy in London, who have all worked so hard to expedite her application,” Outside said. “She is looking forward to being a part of the 50th Annual Grammy Awards with her Sunday night performance and to going back to the U.S. soon.”

Winehouse’s potent blend of blues, jazz, pop and soul has won praise from critics and fans, but her chaotic personal life has increasingly upstaged her music. Concerned family members regularly beg Winehouse to seek help in letters splashed across the pages of British tabloid newspapers and magazines.

Last month, The Sun newspaper ran still images from a video that it claimed showed Winehouse inhaling fumes from a small pipe. The images were said to have been filmed during a party at her London home.

Shortly thereafter, Winehouse entered a London rehabilitation center, and has been questioned by police. Outside said earlier Friday that she was leaving the center to prepare for her performance. It added that the singer would remain under medical supervision.

Weird... I thought she'd have visa waiver since she's european... well who knows.

Conditions lifted 10 yr GC in hands since Feb. 2011!

...onto researching and studying to become a U.S Citizen.

Click here for our complete timeline

6Dqdm4.png

SpiritAlight, your question was: [/size]what are "they" afraid of? Well much like yourself I don't know, the I-601 in my view is useless for the simple reason that all the answers they are wanting were in the documents brought to the interview and kept there minus the blood test for an alcohol level. There has to be a reason that escapes us and maybe I will get the answer one day.[/size]

Good to see you here and responding Ron.

I, too, can not begin to imagine what it must be like to be in yours and Sharon's shoes.

The lies and misconceptions are brutal....and none of this is from you, obviously.

32 years is a life-time.

#######!!

I firmly want to state this – about border guards, COs & others in positions of authority:

They can not simply be corrected by anyone, regardless of how well you come armed with information and logic.

Once they state something, they will hold firm as if to save face; their own (unfortunately).

The training must be brutal to take a job like that, although I imagine it attracts those who like this level of power.

Such a position for a human being that has soul and compassion, well, they would be fired PDQ!

I have witnessed this in so many situations ranging from border guards to airport security to police to karate instructors; you name it.

A little power goes a long way....in destroying the very fibre that makes us human.

EDIT: (to add) and unfortunately this is not something you want to choose to walk away from. You have to stay and fight (if you could find someone to listen) and get frustrated.

Oh I feel like crying when I think of situations like yourselves and other horror stories.

(huge lump in my throat)

Sigh.

IMAGINE THIS:

A world in which people say they do not know or are not sure about something; instead of a flat out NO, just because it is easier on/for them.

Mumsie's dad is a fine example as well.

Although they have no ancient charges laid against him to throw in his face, they just made a bad judgement call....and can't rescind it for fear of making them look human. A "machine" decides without feeling and does not look back. It couldn't if it tried.

And who are we, you, me, Mumsie's mom, to say anything and be heard?

We are pawns in a dangerous game.

And the rules are being made up as "they" go along.

Like I said, it is all about what is easier for "them".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Could anyone in a position of such authority say there is a possibility that they made a mistake??

Bah!

Edited by SpiritAlight

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

*sigh*

SpiritAlight, we have border agents that participate in this forum that I wouldn't lump into your classification. I know you are sympathetic to Ron & Sharon's situation -- heck, we all are -- but it's hard to read your previous post when I have seen that zyggy and neiks are nowhere close to being heartless.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

*sigh*

SpiritAlight, we have border agents that participate in this forum that I wouldn't lump into your classification. I know you are sympathetic to Ron & Sharon's situation -- heck, we all are -- but it's hard to read your previous post when I have seen that zyggy and neiks are nowhere close to being heartless.

Point taken. Thanks Cassie.

I realize not every single border guard et al are horrible.

It just feels like that sometimes.

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
*sigh*

Point taken. Thanks Cassie.

I realize not every single border guard et al are horrible.

It just feels like that sometimes.

I know :) Just wanted to remind us all that not all of them are bad :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not all people can handle a position of authority. Some get on the power trip train and like to exhibit thier "I control what happens here attitude.

As Cassie states, Nieks and Ziggy are a true asset to the VJ family and I for one have inquired to them on various issues. I'm sure they do thier job very well and are just as helpful outside VJ.

Mumsie's dad is a fine example as well.

Although they have no ancient charges laid against him to throw in his face, they just made a bad judgement call....and can't rescind it for fear of making them look human.

:unsure: Did I miss something? I thought Mumsie's Dad was in AP or something to that effect.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.