supranatural

General questions on filing for K1

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Have a couple of questions about filing for K1...it's been a while (I'd filed a K1 6 years ago, got married, then divorced amicably after 4-1/2 years). In assembling the packet, when I did it years ago I used Acco fastener to put together the entire package. I've seen a couple of posts, from 2006, that indicate not to, but at this link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

it says

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

So what is the current consensus about this?

Also, in preparing documentation for visits to my fiancee', I have seen her 3 times in the last 4 months...all the trips involved multiple leg flights. Should I make copies of *all* the flight legs or only the final leg to the destination? I'm guessing all, but it is a alot of boarding passes, tickets, and receipts. I'm afraid it might be too much but then again you could say it doesn't hurt right? When I previously filed a k1 I'd only had a single visit and so it was a lot less flight documentation to copy but this time it's a more (not including a vacation I took with my fiancee during one of my visits, which I also made copies of).

TIA

Have a couple of questions about filing for K1...it's been a while (I'd filed a K1 6 years ago, got married, then divorced amicably after 4-1/2 years). In assembling the packet, when I did it years ago I used Acco fastener to put together the entire package. I've seen a couple of posts, from 2006, that indicate not to, but at this link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

it says

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

So what is the current consensus about this?

ACCO fastners are fine. :thumbs:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=assembly

Also, in preparing documentation for visits to my fiancee', I have seen her 3 times in the last 4 months...all the trips involved multiple leg flights. Should I make copies of *all* the flight legs or only the final leg to the destination? I'm guessing all, but it is a alot of boarding passes, tickets, and receipts. I'm afraid it might be too much but then again you could say it doesn't hurt right? When I previously filed a k1 I'd only had a single visit and so it was a lot less flight documentation to copy but this time it's a more (not including a vacation I took with my fiancee during one of my visits, which I also made copies of).

TIA

Why not use one of the multiple trips? In your statement of how you met in person, you can state the documentation is one of multiple visits. :thumbs:

Hi and welcome to VJ!

I see your from NJ :) That's where my sweetie is from!!!

Anyway :blush:

To answer your questions:

Most people simply put everything in order as they have it based on their cover letter, paperclip it together and mail it off.

Nick and I punched the top of each page with the ACCO punch and then paperclipped...just so they didn't have to at Vermont.

Other people go into quite a lot of detail and actually purchase the ACCO fasteners, etc and put it together...I think this is fine, although, the adjudicator will be taking your entire package apart anyway so...it's more work for them, IMO.

I would never use binders or those plastic sleeves to hold things in...wayyy too much time spent getting everything taken apart...NEVER USE STAPLES!!! :lol:

Paper clips are your friends :)

**edit, after reading your post again, I see you have done this before...lol so yeah...I'd still stick with paper clips ;)**

As for your trips, you only have to show you've been together once in the last 2 years, but since you've seen your fiance many times, I would show them all, it's good for your case.

You don't need to send in your tickets and receipts, I would simply mail in copies of your boarding passes, that shows you actually got on the plane, anyone can get a ticket but not use it, etc.

We had 8 or so visits between us when we filed so I took all of my boarding passes, put them in order and photocopied them onto 2 pages. He photocopied his on his own sheet, in order. Then we highlighted our names and the dates.

It was only about 4 sheets total.

I wish you much luck!!!!

Hugs

Laura :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I agree, paperclips or binder clips are your friends and I would send copies of all the boarding passes, copied several to a page. For keeping the originals I just taped them to sheets of paper before copying and filed the sheets.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'll chip in my $0.02 worth.....

For the I-129F, I would just include evidence from one trip and mention the others. The evidence should include copies of the boarding passes for the final leg of your trip (arriving/departing) and a copy of the visa (if any) and arrival stamp in your passport. The evidence of your other trips should be taken to the interview. My approach is to generally give them what they want and no more (gives them less to sift through to find what they're looking for). I know that others suggest to give them all that you have. You'll have to decide what you should do based on all the information you're able to gather.

In regard to the fasteners, I figure that if they suggest two-hole punching and ACCO fasteners, that's what they'd prefer. And I figure that removing an ACCO fastener really isn't any more difficult or time consuming than removing a binder clip or paper clip.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary!

By the way, I see that you haven't updated your personal info. Is Russia still the country of your fiancee?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
By the way, I see that you haven't updated your personal info. Is Russia still the country of your fiancee?

No Russia is no longer the country...my ex-wife was from Russia, she and I are divorced as noted in my original post. My fiancee is a Ukrainian girl.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.