santamartachicago

I have returned from Divorce Decree War

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
:crying: I have been meeting with our senator, our local homeland security office, and talking with USCIS for the past 3 months because of a divorce decree. I have been alone for over a year. the papers had been filed for divorce. I file a copy of the filing document with my initial application May 07. I got a notice for additional evidence July 07, I submitted the final decree which had been signed in July 07. Our application got rejected because the decree had been sigend by the judge after our initial filing eventhough we gave the USCIS the documents in the aloted time for response to request for additional information. Senators office felt that USCIS made a mistake, the local office of Home land Secuirty felt the USCIS made a mistake, but the USCIS did not feel that it was a mistake. We were notified in Nov 07, and we refiled in Nov 07 with much larger fee, and even longer wait time...FYI do not send in your documents until after any official documents have been signed because that initial submital date is it. :unsure: Word to the wise

I-129F

October 11, 2006 Met

January 12, 2007 Went on Vacation Santa Marta Colombia

February 12, 2007 Went to Bogota to spend US Valentines togehter

March 15, 2007 Went back to Bogota more time togethter

April 13, 2007 Back to Bogota for my love

May 19, 2007 sent I-129F (Vertmont)

May 24, 2007 received NOA1

June 24, 2007 Back to Bogota for my LOOOOVE!

July 5, 2007 RFE

July 16, 2007 Received Evidence (wait 60 days)

Sept 13, 2007 Touch (told to wait...maybe 30-45 more days)

Sept 19, 2007 Touch (told 60 day window is actual working days aaaagh!)

Oct 11, 2007 Touched called USCIS for status and went to my local office (no help...still waiting)

Nov 5, 2007 Recvd notice of denial for divorce decree signature date

Nov 6 -30 2007 Met w local Senator, local Homeland Secrty Office, Touch USCIS office

Nov 30, 2007 Refiled at greater expense, and now longer delay

Dec 6, 2007 NOA1

Feb 20, 2008 NOA2 (Approved application I-129F)

Feb 25, 2008 Application Recvd by NVC (NVC forwarding application to US Embassy Bogota via DHL today)

Feb 28, 2008 application received by Embassy via DHL per NVC

Mar 3 sent fax of packet 3 to US Embassy Bogota (waiting for embassy to send packet 3 to apt in Bogota)

Mar 14 called NVC again & found our packet 3 mailed on 3/13/08 & our interview was scheduled for 4/17/08

Mar 19 received packet 3 from US Embassy

April 17, 2008 We ARE APPROVED!!!

April 22, VISA in hand

May 27, Arrive in the US

Remember God is in the blessing business, and business is always good

:crying: I have been meeting with our senator, our local homeland security office, and talking with USCIS for the past 3 months because of a divorce decree. I have been alone for over a year. the papers had been filed for divorce. I file a copy of the filing document with my initial application May 07. I got a notice for additional evidence July 07, I submitted the final decree which had been signed in July 07. Our application got rejected because the decree had been sigend by the judge after our initial filing eventhough we gave the USCIS the documents in the aloted time for response to request for additional information. Senators office felt that USCIS made a mistake, the local office of Home land Secuirty felt the USCIS made a mistake, but the USCIS did not feel that it was a mistake. We were notified in Nov 07, and we refiled in Nov 07 with much larger fee, and even longer wait time...FYI do not send in your documents until after any official documents have been signed because that initial submital date is it. :unsure: Word to the wise

The USCIS was correct. You must be legally free to marry at the time of filing the I-129f.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unfortunately I have to agree the USCIS were right. You were not legally divorced when you filed the application, and were therefore not able to remarry. If you cannot remarry when you file the application hard as it may seem what else can they do but refuse the application.

You last comment is right but should really read don't apply until all the required documents are in order.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Unfortunately I have to agree the USCIS were right. You were not legally divorced when you filed the application, and were therefore not able to remarry. If you cannot remarry when you file the application hard as it may seem what else can they do but refuse the application.

You last comment is right but should really read don't apply until all the required documents are in order.

Exactly. USCIS sometimes gets it right. This time they did.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.