edchels

Registering with the SSS (Selective Service System)

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Got approved on Jan 18th, during the interview the Vice Consul made me sign a form saying i would register with the Selective Service within 30 days of arriving in the US. Well, i have arrived, but I really dont want to be registered. I was just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences if they didn't register?

I know, i'll be ineligible for US Citizenship, but im never gonna be a citizen anyway, and im sure as hell not going to apply for any jobs with the government.

Also, lets say i do sign up... then theres a draft... whats to stop me from going back to the UK, and avoiding it altogether.... is that a problem aswell...?

Any comments would be fantastic... thanks,

-Ed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This can and will affect you ability to naturalize and become a citizen in the future, and also can affect your ability to draw benefits in the future.

SSS is required by law of every man living in the USA, the government has not used that system since Vietnam, and probably will not in the future.

ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES

& IMMIGRANT SERVICING GROUPS!

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.

Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it’s too late!

http://www.sss.gov/

Remember knowingly violating US laws can be cause of loss of LAWFUL permanet resident status, NOTE "Lawful" in LPR status.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If I were you I would just register. The chances of a draft are slim and there is nothing stopping you from fleeing to Canada then back to the UK. Thousands did it during the Viet Nam conflict. I take it you are younger than 26. I would also advise you to never say never. You will look back one day (as many of us do) and marvel at where you life has taken you. Think about it now... Did you ever imagine you would be moving across the pond to be living in the US?

As in anything in live you have to weigh the consequences against the risks. I would say that the risk of getting caught is far greater then getting drafted. As things get tighter and tighter on immigrants in the US there is a great chance of prosecution of immigrants.

There are also more and more jobs that require you to be a citizen, and I know you said you never want to become one, but one day there maybe be a reason why you will want to...

If I were you I would register and if the draft does get re instituted you just hot foot it back to the UK.

Its pretty easy to get exemption too if there is a draft, like pooping your pants and eating in front of the indoctrination doctors.

M.

IR-1 Visa, I-130

Consulate: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Marriage: 2002-02-02

DCF:

Interview: 2008-04-02

POE: 2008-04-11

Timeline
Its pretty easy to get exemption too if there is a draft, like pooping your pants and eating in front of the indoctrination doctors.

M.

:lol: :lol: :thumbs:

Benefits of citizenship.

1. A Citizen Can Vote

A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.

2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)

Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.

3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly

Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.

4. Citizens Cannot be Deported

Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.

5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits

Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.

6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits

Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.

7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities

Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.

8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically

Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.

9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits

Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.

10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years

We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

M.

:lol: :lol: :thumbs:

Benefits of citizenship.

1. A Citizen Can Vote

A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.

2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)

Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.

3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly

Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.

4. Citizens Cannot be Deported

Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.

5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits

Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.

6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits

Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.

7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities

Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.

8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically

Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.

9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits

Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.

10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years

We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

Wow, do work for the government or something?? LOL - Just kidding... thanks for the info..

Remember knowingly violating US laws can be cause of loss of LAWFUL permanet resident status, NOTE "Lawful" in LPR status.

Its "Legal", not lawful, but i understand what you mean...

If I were you I would just register. The chances of a draft are slim and there is nothing stopping you from fleeing to Canada then back to the UK. Thousands did it during the Viet Nam conflict. I take it you are younger than 26. I would also advise you to never say never. You will look back one day (as many of us do) and marvel at where you life has taken you. Think about it now... Did you ever imagine you would be moving across the pond to be living in the US?

As in anything in live you have to weigh the consequences against the risks. I would say that the risk of getting caught is far greater then getting drafted. As things get tighter and tighter on immigrants in the US there is a great chance of prosecution of immigrants.

There are also more and more jobs that require you to be a citizen, and I know you said you never want to become one, but one day there maybe be a reason why you will want to...

If I were you I would register and if the draft does get re instituted you just hot foot it back to the UK.

M.

Funny you should say that, cos actually, i have known my entire life i would one day be living in LA. It has always been a dream of mine, and now it's true. So, on some level, i always knew i would move across the pond.

I Appreciate your input too, i guess there isn't any harm in registering.

Thanks!

Timeline
Actually "LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT". But we are splitting hairs here. :lol:

How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While In The United States?

Actually "LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT". But we are splitting hairs here. :lol:

How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While In The United States?

So it is... the entire time while waiting for my visa i have seen written down, and people talking about "Legal Permanent Residents"... maybe the UK is different. :blink::wacko:

If you are unwilling to ever possibly defend this country, and that is a slim chance with no draft going on) then perhaps it's more fitting that you stay in the U.K.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Timeline
If you are unwilling to ever possibly defend this country, and that is a slim chance with no draft going on) then perhaps it's more fitting that you stay in the U.K.

I agree with rjp.

Guys! Take it easy on the OP, He has seen the light!

Funny you should say that, cos actually, i have known my entire life i would one day be living in LA. It has always been a dream of mine, and now it's true. So, on some level, i always knew i would move across the pond.

Thanks!

Just because i dont believe in war, doesn't mean i need to live in a different country away from my wife. Sorry i dont agree with war, but i dont think i need to leave the country because of that opinion.

Come on, if you had the choice of registering or not register with the SSS and you didn't agree with war, you wouldn't register... and that was what i was wondering...and it seems like i have to anyway, so my question has been answered.

I agree with rjp.

Guys! Take it easy on the OP, He has seen the light!

Thanks!

SERIOUSLY!!!!!! Thanks YuAndDan!

I think part of coming to the US is obeying its laws. Your feelings about them really don't come into play.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

I think part of coming to the US is obeying its laws. Your feelings about them really don't come into play.

Isnt anyone reading my responses.... i understand what i need to do... all i was wondering is if i absolutly have to register. i know i have to now... read the responses before you start telling me i shouldn't be here because my feelings dont come into play!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.