teachmehistory

What will you do???

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

So I need to make the hours go faster until his plane lands this afternoon and thought this might be a fun thread!

I spent the entire weekend checking off lists, making new ones and doing my best impression of a headless chicken for Matthew's arrival today and I wondered what everyone else will go thru as they get ready to welcome their fiances! or if you are the one moving what will you do to get ready, say goodbye?

My bridal shower was this weekend and Matthew has had a week of leaving drinks....he thinks its proper funny that as the woman, I am given a nice dinner and all kinds of lovely gifts and all he gets is more alcohol than anyone should consume in a year, let alone a few days! but he made the rounds of friends and family, changed up money, packed everything the alotted 2 suitcases would hold and made the trek to heathrow this morning with his dad and grandad (the generations of men!!!)

I did my best to stock the house with American versions of his favorite foods and then I made myself ill cleaning and sorting and trips to the goodwill for 3 days straight! I cleaned places in my house that I don't think I knew existed!!! I feel the need to warn him that this will probably never happen again :lol: so take a picture upon arrival!!! not to mention the creating a the calendar of all the things we have to get done before the wedding in the next two weeks and the arrival of his family who are staying with us for the wedding!

So - what will/did everyone else do to prepare for the long awaited arrival??

Sara

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I'll be there at the airport to pick him up! :lol:

Seriously, I haven't had much time to prepare as I was just with him in the UK last week, and right back to work yesterday. So, what with trying to re-adjust my body's timeclock, full time work and raising 3 kids I haven't had time to really do anything special. I'm just hoping to have enough time/energy to get the bedroom tidied up!

I did, though, stock the fridge with some nice cheeses - blue cheese, brie and some UK cheddar. I also have some Branston Pickle and crackers. And a few bottle of some good beer. I think that will make him happy!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To be honest I haven't had much thought on it....my lease runs up in June and he moves over the next week so right now I'm more concerned about finding a place in a decent neighborhood.

I'll probably stock up on some chocolate biscuits and Walker's shortbread.

wtf-picard.jpg

Well Jeremy I hope will make the house that we don't have yet liveable in!!! He will be flying back with me though so! We are having our UK wedding reception hopefully ont he Friday/Saturday (end of June) then we will be leaving on the Monday - these are all in the pipeline anyway - haven't made any real plans yet as have so much else to think about!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

So I need to make the hours go faster until his plane lands this afternoon and thought this might be a fun thread!

I spent the entire weekend checking off lists, making new ones and doing my best impression of a headless chicken for Matthew's arrival today and I wondered what everyone else will go thru as they get ready to welcome their fiances! or if you are the one moving what will you do to get ready, say goodbye?

My bridal shower was this weekend and Matthew has had a week of leaving drinks....he thinks its proper funny that as the woman, I am given a nice dinner and all kinds of lovely gifts and all he gets is more alcohol than anyone should consume in a year, let alone a few days! but he made the rounds of friends and family, changed up money, packed everything the alotted 2 suitcases would hold and made the trek to heathrow this morning with his dad and grandad (the generations of men!!!)

I did my best to stock the house with American versions of his favorite foods and then I made myself ill cleaning and sorting and trips to the goodwill for 3 days straight! I cleaned places in my house that I don't think I knew existed!!! I feel the need to warn him that this will probably never happen again :lol: so take a picture upon arrival!!! not to mention the creating a the calendar of all the things we have to get done before the wedding in the next two weeks and the arrival of his family who are staying with us for the wedding!

So - what will/did everyone else do to prepare for the long awaited arrival??

Sara

Sara, I hope your honey arrived safely and that you had a glorious reunion. I suppose you will be too busy to post for a few days! :whistle:

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Timeline

I move in 6 weeks.

I've moved house a few times but this is so different, moving to a different country takes so much planning.

I'm busy packing all my personal effects, books, cds, ornaments, etc.. for shipping.

Everything else, furniture, electrical stuff, my car has to be sold or given away. Then I have to sort out the bills - rent, council tax, electric, gas, phone, etc.. There are insurances to cancel, tv license, ect....

Then there's my dog who is coming with me, I got him booked on the same flight as me.

I do wish that I lived with my parents and could pack a couple of suitcases and just leave !!!!!

I'm relying on my parents and friends a lot to sort some things after I go. I'm in credit with my gas/electric by about £200, so expecting some back from them plus the £500 bond on my house, thats in my parents hands. My car, my friends husband has agreed to sell. It's worth at least £2,000.

I will just give them all the bank account details and get them to wire the money through when they get it.

I would just love to pack a few bags and leave, if only it was that easy !!! :)

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Hey maggie - was sorting out your dog really complicated or was it just a call to the airline? Is he in the hold or cabin? Actually... not sure dogs are allowed in the cabin!!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All I did was clean the house. I didn't bother food shopping cause I thought he might enjoy that with me.

And, I flew down to pick him up.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hey maggie - was sorting out your dog really complicated or was it just a call to the airline? Is he in the hold or cabin? Actually... not sure dogs are allowed in the cabin!!!

I called my airline (BMI). He has to travel in a vari-kennel (airline approved) as cargo. He needs a rabies jab at least a month before travelling (he had this a couple of weeks ago) also needs a health certificate to say hes fit to fly within 10 days of the flight. Thats it, oh along with nearly £700 fee, but hes worth it!!!! even though hes costing more than me.

BMI advertise that they will fly pets as excess baggage but thats only short haul. I'm sure I could get cheaper but I wanted a non stop flight and wanted him on my flight. They said they can accomodate up to 5 pets on the flight. Knowing I can pick him up the other end means everything to me, even the extra expense.

Edited by mustang-sally

K1

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

Removal of Conditions

Naturalization

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

Yeah I know what you mean - I am taking my cat but I can take her in the cabin as hand luggage - I just have to check all the details of the heat embargo etc - it is going to be a logistical nightmare sorting it all out - I couldn't afford £700 if I wanted to so we are going to have to start doing some serious planning as soon as I come home from the US next month :(

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline
Yeah I know what you mean - I am taking my cat but I can take her in the cabin as hand luggage - I just have to check all the details of the heat embargo etc - it is going to be a logistical nightmare sorting it all out - I couldn't afford £700 if I wanted to so we are going to have to start doing some serious planning as soon as I come home from the US next month :(

I wouldnt think it would cost nearly that much for a cat. They based my cost on the kennel size, 36" x 24" x 26". Obviously it would be much smaller and cheaper for a cat.

I have a puppy coming over towards the end of the year, will be looking for the cheapest price then as it doesnt matter what flight it comes on. Thats a different story though, my main priority is getting me and my dog over there for now.

K1

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

Removal of Conditions

Naturalization

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.