martinbr

Birth Certificate Unreadable

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I just received all the necessary documents that I need to file for my wife and step child's I-130 petitions and have a question about the birth certificates. The birth certificate for my wife that was issued from the NSO office is so bad that is unreadable. There are certain facts that you can make out but it almost looks like when they were originally made from the registrars office where my wife was born they were somehow damaged by water to smear all the print. But the NSO office attached a security paper with the certificate for validation of the certificate.

I don't know if this is going to be a problem when I send in the petition papers or not. I plan on calling USCIS Monday to see if I can get a answer. But I was wondering if someone else ever ran into this problem. I would imagine this happens all the time over in the Philippines with there fantastic record keeping and all. :hehe: Or would she have to go down to the civil registrars office to have them retyped all over again and certified? Anyone?

martinbr

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When we file the I-129F my birth certifcate attached to the application was not really from NSO. Its just a Certified copy from our local Civil registrar. You only need the NSO copy during the interview.

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

05/21/07 : I-129F Sent

02/24/08 : INTERVIEW

12/12/07 : MEDICAL

01/09/08 : VISA IN HAND

03/06/08 : Arrive in the US, POE - DETROIT

AOS

03/28/08 : Mailed AOS Packet

04/12/08 : Receive NOA's AP, EAD

05/02/08 : BIOMETRICS

06/11/08 : EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!!

07/02/08 : GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

07/07/08 : GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL & WORKING

03/27/09 : Driver's License issued

Removing Condition

04/03/10 : mailed to Vermont

04/08/10 : NOA1 & 1 yr extension

05/20/10 : Biometrics Appt.

11/19/10 : Interview/Approval

When we file the I-129F my birth certifcate attached to the application was not really from NSO. Its just a Certified copy from our local Civil registrar. You only need the NSO copy during the interview.

Ok, so I don't have to have one from NSO, but what about the readability issue? Would she have to do down to the civil registrars where she was born and have it remade all over again. I mean if the certificate from the registrars is bad to start and you can't even read what's on it wouldn't the security from the registrars be enough supporting evidence that it is a real document?

martinbr

Timeline

When it is Certified True copy it is re-typed and with stamped on it thats certifies its a true copy. yes she has to get it from the local registrar.

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

05/21/07 : I-129F Sent

02/24/08 : INTERVIEW

12/12/07 : MEDICAL

01/09/08 : VISA IN HAND

03/06/08 : Arrive in the US, POE - DETROIT

AOS

03/28/08 : Mailed AOS Packet

04/12/08 : Receive NOA's AP, EAD

05/02/08 : BIOMETRICS

06/11/08 : EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!!

07/02/08 : GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

07/07/08 : GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL & WORKING

03/27/09 : Driver's License issued

Removing Condition

04/03/10 : mailed to Vermont

04/08/10 : NOA1 & 1 yr extension

05/20/10 : Biometrics Appt.

11/19/10 : Interview/Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
When it is Certified True copy it is re-typed and with stamped on it thats certifies its a true copy. yes she has to get it from the local registrar.

I can't comment on local registrar copies, but for NSO, a certified copy is NOT retyped. The issue of ledgability is a persistant one. If the actually original on file with records at NSO Manila is unledgabile, then well - that's just the way it is. ( a 'supporting' bc like that from the civil registrar might be helpful in ADDITION TO the NSO copy. Many times, the problem is that the Original copy on record at NSO Central Records is (barely) legible, but the printers and copy machines they use are so badly maintained that the copy that NSO makes to give you is unlegiable. What I have done is actually go to the manila NSO central records office and have them hand me the copy right off the copier. If it is poor, I ask them to change the tonor, clean the drum and recopy...and I DO NOT LEAVE unitl they do so...regardless of what hour they say they close.

Good Luck

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

I can't comment on local registrar copies, but for NSO, a certified copy is NOT retyped. The issue of ledgability is a persistant one. If the actually original on file with records at NSO Manila is unledgabile, then well - that's just the way it is. ( a 'supporting' bc like that from the civil registrar might be helpful in ADDITION TO the NSO copy. Many times, the problem is that the Original copy on record at NSO Central Records is (barely) legible, but the printers and copy machines they use are so badly maintained that the copy that NSO makes to give you is unlegiable. What I have done is actually go to the manila NSO central records office and have them hand me the copy right off the copier. If it is poor, I ask them to change the tonor, clean the drum and recopy...and I DO NOT LEAVE unitl they do so...regardless of what hour they say they close.

Good Luck

They are true certified certified copies from the NSO from the town she lives in. The security paper is from the civil registrars office in the town were she resides. So I guess that is the best I can do. I might have to put in a explanation note with it as well.

It would be nice if I could go straight to the office but that's impossible since I am 7000 miles away. I am wondering if maybe I should try the e-censous route online. I might get better results that way, but that would be another hold up. I have already wasted two months on waiting for these papers!!! I am going into my third month after I got married in November and have to get this thing rolling. It's going to take about a year as it stands. :angry:

thanks for your input.

martinbr

You could not read my wife's BC either, but they re-typed all the info on the paper that stated it was a true copy and she had no trouble at the embassy.

So if the info is attached and certified, I don't think there will be any problems, but we all know each interviewer is different and what one will accept, another will question . . .

Isn't it wonderful having your future in the hands of one person who just might be having a bad day!

Edited by Dogwood_Poet

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just to be clear, although we know that the embassy individuals are less than consistant in how/when they enforce the requirements, the actually requirements do state that a NSO Authenticated Life Birth Certificate is required. This is only issued form the NSO offices - both main and provincial ones. There are birth certificates available from the Local Civil Registry Office of the town/baranguy where the birth took place, put these are NOT NSO issued BC's and do not, by themselves, meet the letter of the stated requirements in the Interview Packet.

Of course, there are people who have used these alternates, some have been successful, some have been delayed. I am just pointing out what the written requirements state from the USE at Manila.

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Timeline

i had the same problems with my BC from NSO. the entries are blurry that it's hard to read. what i did was i went to the local civil registry where i was registered. they redo(retyped) my BC and sent it to the main NSO office in Manila, then gave me a new certified copy. i paid 125pesos for it but it would be free of charge if i did brought the receipt from NSO when i requested blurred copies of my BC . so if your SO still have the receipt tell her to bring it so she will not pay anymore. you will be advised to wait 4-6 weeks to request the new copy. you must indicate the next time you request from NSO that you need a "clear copy".

during my interview i submitted the blurred copy, i just explained to the filipino prescreener that it was the copy issued by NSO. i offered him an old copy (clear one) which i requested wayback 1997, just to back up. he accepted it and everything turned out fine.

hope this will help.

GOD BLESS!

ana

03/24/05 - met online

01/31/06 - met in person

11/09/06 - K1/K2 filed

02/02/07 - NOA2

05/03/07 - medical

05/10/07 - consular interview

06/01/07 - K1/K2 visa received

07/17/07 - US entry - POE - Newark. New Jersey

07/20/07 - marriage

07/28/07 - AOS filed (rejected/new fees)

10/04/07 - appealed for old fees (rejected again)

12/14/07 - 3rd AOS filing

01/29/08 - Biometrics

02/29/08 - AP received

03/03/08 - EAD card received

03/13/08 - AOS interview (Kansas City)

05/20/08 - RFE

09/17/08 - GC received

GOSH! And I thought I was the only one whose supposedly NSO authenticated birth certificate is so illegible it was almost useless.

The case with me was, I had requested copies of my birth certificate from NSO several times over the past years for different reasons: e.g. school records, passport application, etc. and didn't have any problem as to the readability of the BC copy NSO gave me.... But when I requested another copy again just this month, I was handed a very blurry birth certificate. I did complain promptly but was told by the NSO people in Davao that they cant do anything about it because that was what was forwarded to them.

Now, on the e-census FAQ page, I found this part:

"4. What is the difference between CONVERTED and UNCONVERTED documents?

CONVERTED documents refer to the birth, marriage and death records that are already in digital formats and are now stored in the image database. These are searched and retrieved electronically during the processing of requests.

UNCONVERTED documents refer to the birth, marriage and death records that are not yet in digital format. Requested documents that belong to this category are searched manually from microfilm rolls or paper archives.

Conversion of civil registry documents is one of the components of NSO’s ongoing computerization project. It involves the conversion of over 120 million civil registry documents in paper and microfilm into digital format."

I don't know if NSO authenticated copies will be any better after all the 120million files will be converted. What I am sure now, is that my copies were better before all this civil registry document conversion started.

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.