Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Would anyone have a good recipe for homemade lasagna and one for a Shepherd's Pie? One that you've personally tried? Methinks Marilyn will have one. ;)

I would really appreciate it though. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

this is the recipe my mom always used for shepherd's Pie.. I have made some changes to it though...

Shepherd's Pie

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 cup each celery and onion chopped

1 tbsp flour

1/2 cup boiling water

1 OXO beef cube

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 cup frozen or canned corn (optional) *

2 1/2 cups hot, mashed potatoes (@5 medium)

1 tablespoon melted margarine

@ 1 cup grated cheddar or marble cheese (optional)

Saute onion and clery and ground beef. Drain off excess fat. Stir in flour. Dissolve OXO cube in boiling water and add to beef mixture along with pepper and salt. Turn into a 6 cup baking dish. Cover with corn if using, and top woth potatoes. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with cheese, if using. Bake for @ 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

*you could use peas too.. or mixed vegies etc...

** I like it just fine like this but my hubby suggested that I put some gravy or something in it too... so what I do is either make some beef gravy from scratch or just use one of those packets and pour the gravy on between the ground beef and the potatoes... I usually use about 1 cup of gravy

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

LASAGNA

For 8/10 (BUT I think it is closer to 5/6!)

1 lb meat – ground

1 clove garlic minced

brown together slowly – skim fat

1 tablespoon basil

1 to 1 ½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon brown sugar

¼ cup red wine

1 lb can tomatoes stewed – approx. 2 cups

2 6 oz cans tomato paste

mixed Italian herbs (oregano, bay leave, marjoram. etc.)

Simmer uncovered for ½ hour

10 oz noodles 1 oz = 1 noodle

boil and drain

3 cups creamy cottage cheese (small curd)

½ cup grated fresh romano (or parmesan/romano mix)

2 tablespoons parsley flakes

2 eggs – beat well

½ teaspoon pepper

Mix all of this

1 lb to 1 ½ lb mozzarella cheese – grated

Place ½ noodles on pan 1st

Then ½ cottage cheese mix

Then mozzarella

Then meat and

REPEAT

Oven: 375 for 30 minutes

15 more minutes if in refrigerator before cooking

LET STAND AT LEAST 10 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

as for lasagna I don't really have a special recipe.. I just follow the recipe that is usually on the box of noodles....

I like to use a mixture of ricotta cheese and cottage cheese but then the lasagna doesn't freeze well, I also like to add some thawed frozen spinach in the cottage cheese mixture.... it is best to buy the dry curd cottage cheese and then I add an egg and salt and pepper to it...

then I fry up the ground beef with some onion and then throw in the tomato sauce....

then I just layer the ingredients in the pan....

usually a bit of sauce on the bottom and then a layer of noodles, more sauce and then a layer of cottage cheese, more noodles, more sauce, more cottage cheese and then another layer of noodles, the rest of the sauce and then grated cheese...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline
For dinner tonight - swiss chalet chicken caesar and fries - and yes, did some REAL packing today :thumbs:

Mmmmmm, swiss chalet. I brought a case of sauce with me when I moved. :lol:

I had originally made a soup/stew with some leftover smoked ribs for last night, but they had fresh Dover Sole at the Fresh Market so instead we had that with french green beans, carrots, and parsley potatoes with a buttery lemon/wine/garlic/thyme sauce.

Tonight we are having leftover smoked rib soup/stew. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

my darling hubby brought home Chinese food for din din tonight without even asking... (L) he said he knew I didn't usually cook anything on Fridays...

it wasn't the greatest Chinese food but it was edible.... the best Chinese fast food around here is about 15 to 20 minutes away.... this place was around the corner...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I could not bear the idea of cooking last night and neither could hubby, so we went to out to eat. I had a cup of corned beef and cabbage soup and a salad, hubby had a bowl of the soup. It was yummy (and definitely what to do with St. Patty's day corned beef and cabbage leftovers!)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We had chicken, rice and salad last night. I had this package of schezuan seasoning - that I was supposed to use for Mr. Ho's chicken recipe, but anyway, I baked the chicken in that and it was pretty good.

It's tough to pack and cook, but I also don't want to order food all the time either!

Not sure what's for dinner tonight, maybe some steak! Have some t-bones in the freezer and that sounds good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We actually didn't eat dinner last night. Our friend who has been visiting us this week from Nebraska flew home yesterday afternoon, so we enjoyed 'desert' first with an ice cream cone at the airport together, then we stopped for lunch on the way home. By the time we finished lunch it was going on 3 o'clock and neither of us were hungry for dinner. We had a snack a little later in the evening, instead.

Tonight Joe is cooking! He likes to cook on the weekends, so we are having pinto beans simmered with jalopenos and some ham, steamed cabbage, carrots, yellow squash and potatoes. I just get to enjoy it:-). (hmm, and clean up the kitchen afterwards and do the dishes, hehehe - Joe is a good but messy cook).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Wellllllll ..... we were going to have a nice ham dinner for Easter and eat around 6pm. NOTHING went as planned. First, I realized I needed a couple more ingredients so I ran to the store, only to find out they were completely out of pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. Okay, so I improvised and, instead of nice pineapple rings on the ham, we had pineapple chunks in the pan the ham was cooking in (apparently hubby also used the toothpicks and forgot to tell me so unable to place the pineapple on the baking ham). Then, I go to make rice pie (a tradition in our family, recipe obtained from my Italian gma) ... except that, I realize that I apparently got the recipe from gma later in her life when she was a bit more confused than normal. So .... I puzzle over this recipe for a bit and call my mom and we try to decide what amounts would be correct. Put the pie in the oven, and later realize that it took twice the normal baking time. That did not clue me in though to what was ahead .... put the ham in the oven, and time the side dishes so everything would be piping hot at the same time (mashed potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise) ... well, go to pull the ham out and realize IT IS STILL FREAKING COLD even though it had been in the oven for over an hour (more than the time needed according to directions on the ham). Hubby comes to look at the oven and we realize, oven is broken. So hubby took the ham outside and finished it on the grill (burning my pan in the process). Dinner ended up being yummy though, albeit 2 hours late. I think I will be using the crockpot and stovetop a lot more in the near future until we can get a new stove ... so I will welcome any recipes that don't call for use of the oven :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.