Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

I had to look up quinoa - interesting!

Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein.

Quinoa's protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal ... similar to milk!

What do you do with it Carla?

I just took out some ground turkey, will probably make tacos or lasagna.

I love quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). It's very nutty, and nutritious. I buy mine at Trader Joes. I bought it on a lark one day, and so I've gone back for more when I'm wanting some. They may have it at some of our higher end stores, but where I usually shop, Shop N' Save, they don't have it.

I sometimes cook it up and use it like I would for couscous and make a salad, with veggies, and lime juice instead of lemon. You have to cook it a lot longer than couscous though, those seeds can be kind of crunchy!

I've made it curried as well. Tonight I'm making this: Quinoa Carrot Zuchinni Casserole

1 c quinoa

1/4 cup dried currants

1/4 cup sunflower seeds

1 or 2 bay leaves

1 cinnamon stick

2 Tbls olive oil

1 c. celery, chopped small

2 medium carrots

2 small zucchini

1 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp paprika

pinch cayenne

1/2 tsp dried ginger

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp rock salt

1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup boiling water

1/4 c. minced parsley or cilantro

fresh ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

Soak quinoa 15 minutes to an hour, rinse three times through a fine metal strainer, leave to drain

Heat olive oil on medium in a large saute pan or frying pan

Chop celery in small pieces

Peel and chop carrots in 1/2" dice

Wash, trim, and chop zucchini in 1 " dice

Stir fry celery until transparent

Add carrots, stir fry five minutes

Add zucchini, stir fry one minute

Add the spices, except for the fresh herb and salt, lower heat and stir until they start to brown

Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a three or four quart oven proof casserole with lid. Add all ingredients except fresh herb and pepper

Stir in 1 3/4 cups boiling water, cover, and bake 20 - 30 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed

Before serving, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick

Stir in the minced fresh parsley or cilantro, fresh ground pepper, and serve

*** You can buy quinoa that doesn't have to be rinsed or soaked. It should say if it has to be on the box or bag. I'm going to not add the currents, and skip on the cinnamon stick. I'm using dried, not fresh herbs as well. ****

I've had this before and it's very good.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are having ribs in the crockpot and potato 'stuff' tonight. What is 'STUFF' you ask, why it's a grated potatoe casserole which i think turns out more like a potato cheese souflée....you blend potatos, cubed cheddar, eggs, milk and spices until only chunky and then pour into a pan and bake - so good, i'll try to take a pick and provide the recipe later tonight

PS - haven't tried quinoa in a dinner type recipe, but when we were experimenting with my daughter's food allergies, it was a great hot cereal alternative to anything with wheat....quite tolerated by those with grain allergies.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was going to pick up one of those roast chickens and some pasta salad when I went grocery shopping after work today but I ended up working late and I was tired, today was a hard day because the baby was sick, we think it is a combo of teething and something else, he sounded really congested and then the other kid was being a brat all day and went for 2 time-outs :P

anyways I was tired and then I had to sit in traffic for over half an hour so I said screw grocery shopping , I will just do it tomorrow and pick up some Chinese food on the way home..:P and that is what I did.. it was good Chinese food too.. I had beef and broccoli and mushroom chicken..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Last night I made twice baked potatoes, mexican meatloaf, and green beans. A local grocer here has advertised rotisserie pork roast along with their chicken now. I thought that might be nice! A nice salad and a leftover potatoe from last night might complete the meal. It's only 6:48 a.m. you never know if I'll change my mind! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Last night I made twice baked potatoes, mexican meatloaf, and green beans. A local grocer here has advertised rotisserie pork roast along with their chicken now. I thought that might be nice! A nice salad and a leftover potatoe from last night might complete the meal. It's only 6:48 a.m. you never know if I'll change my mind! :lol:

What a great idea, nice that they are offering pork as well!

That recipe looks tasty Carla, i'm going to note it in my recipe file! I want to try it, it's something different from the norm and I like that.

We had quesadillas again last night, wanted to use up the tortillas. Just vegetarian, but good, with salad.

Tonight I am making pork fried rice, or fried rice and pork chops maybe :hehe:

I had Alphagetti! :lol:

Yay for Alphagetti!

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am making sgetti tonight.. I found a super simple recipe that tastes soo good.. today I am going to fry up some chicken and onion to add to the sauce... and the sauce is just a small can of tomato sauce and a can of Italian diced tomatoes.. mmm mmm mmm

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

My son and I went out tonight since Mike is in Philly at some swanky bar with his coworkers. We had something from the "asian wokery" at Wegmans. :lol:

Then we went to Tarjay and Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a whole bunch of stuff finally got a rolling pin now I can make those cinnamon rolls and I bought a few outfits too.

I love that I can go to Target and spend less than 200.00 and come out on top. My husband is the opposite, he only goes to designer clothing stores and he'll spend 200.00 and literally come out with A top. :P

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I made quinoa tonight ... Seeds of Change has a nice packaged mix, french herb flavor. Had a salad with that too.

I love the seeds of change rices! Had some tonight- the Indian blend one cause I made Indian food.

Timeline
My son and I went out tonight since Mike is in Philly at some swanky bar with his coworkers. We had something from the "asian wokery" at Wegmans. :lol:

Then we went to Tarjay and Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a whole bunch of stuff finally got a rolling pin now I can make those cinnamon rolls and I bought a few outfits too.

I love that I can go to Target and spend less than 200.00 and come out on top. My husband is the opposite, he only goes to designer clothing stores and he'll spend 200.00 and literally come out with A top. :P

Off topic - but yes, Targhey as we say at our house is great (we have teenagers, that partially explains the pronunciation)

Anyhoo - we had McDonald's - way too busy this evening came home, took my daughter to late Dr's appt, then dinner then to the highschool for a Financial Aid seminar for college - fries were kind of blah tonight :(

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Off topic - but yes, Targhey as we say at our house is great (we have teenagers, that partially explains the pronunciation)

Anyhoo - we had McDonald's - way too busy this evening came home, took my daughter to late Dr's appt, then dinner then to the highschool for a Financial Aid seminar for college - fries were kind of blah tonight :(

Yes Tarjay! :lol:

My son calls it that too!

Tonight I am having left over soup I made on Tuesday. Soup always tastes better when its reheated. :D

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Gong to costco today to pick up my Xmas photo cards ($15 for 50 cards and envelopes, ready in less than a day!!!) Pick meself up a pizza, yummy! And of course have to get a hot dog for lunch!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.