Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the chicken wings were the bomb and hubby gave them an A+... they taste almost like my garlic chicken wings that I marinate for 18 hours or so.....

Chicken Wings in Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe

* 3 lbs chicken wings (approx. 16-18 wings)

* salt and black pepper

* 2 cups honey

* 1 cup soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)

* 1/2 cup your favorite bottled barbecue sauce

* 1/4 cup oil

* 2 cloves garlic, minced

1. Cut off and discard wing tips.

2. Cut each wing at joint to make two sections.

3. Rinse wings, drain and pat dry with paper towels.

4. Season wings with salt and pepper, to taste.

5. Place wings on broiler pan and broil about 6 inches from heat for 10 minutes on each side OR until brown.

6. Transfer wings to Slow Cooker.

7. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl; pour over chicken wings.

8. Cover and place Slow Cooker on High for 2 hour or Low for 4 hours.

* I buy the chicken wings that are already separated.. makes it so much easier..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was craving Mexican tonight so I made "stand-n-stuff" Old El Paso crunchy tacos with lettuce, jalepenos, corn, green pepper, salsa, sour cream, and refried beans!! MMMMM I was just missing a Margarita...

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Thanks for the recipe Marilyn. You have to like something that tastes like you marinated it for hours...and you didn't! :lol:

I made Emeril's Kicked Up Sausage Macaroni and Cheese last night . It was very good. I could have stood it being more spicey, but you can adjust. I also used smoked Kielbasa cut in about 1/2 inch angled chunks.

9 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 pound elbow macaroni

1 pound homemade-style spicy pork sausage, removed from casings and crumbled

1 cup chopped yellow onions

1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers

1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows

4 teaspoons minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon anise seeds

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups whole milk

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)

1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a large casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain well.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, bell peppers, and 1 teaspoon of the Essence, and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and anise seeds, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

Melt the remaining stick of butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook over medium heat until thick, 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to let the flour brown. Using a whisk, add the milk in a steady stream and cook, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, and 2 cups of the cheese, and stir well. Add the noodles, cooked sausage and vegetables, and stir well to combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish.

In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of cheese with the breadcrumbs and remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Today Gene is going out for lunch with guys from work. They're going to the Scottish Arms, one of my favourite places.

http://www.thescottisharms.com/

He'll have a big lunch so probably won't have supper. I'll have left overs from last night.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Thanks for the recipe Marilyn. You have to like something that tastes like you marinated it for hours...and you didn't! :lol:

you betcha :thumbs:

I just wanted to add that there was no meat left on those chicken wing bones when we were done with them :lol:

oh and you might want to reduce the soy sauce a little... they were good for us but you could taste the soy sauce..

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I slow cooked some beef yesterday...but then we decided to have some thai food instead - it was, as always, delicious!

Not sure what I will do with the beef, depends what we get from the store today, i'm thinking hot beef sandwiches maybe.

Timeline

i found this recipe the other day... don't they look scrumptious?

Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins

2 cups flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)

1 Tbsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

2 large eggs

1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

4 tbsp oil

1 tsp vanilla

Topping:

1/2 stick butter, melted

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper cups.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix with light strokes until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not overmix; batter will not be smooth.

Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in one or two of the muffins come out clean, 12-15 minutes.

While the muffins are baking, melt 1/2 stick butter and place in a bowl just large enough to hold a muffin. Combine ½ cup of sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a small, shallow bowl. As soon as the muffing are done, dip them one at a time in the melted butter and then roll in the sugar mixture. Set on a rack to cool.

Yields 12 standard muffins.

P1020738.jpg

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

They do :thumbs:

Speaking of baking, I just put a cake in the oven, trying that recipe I posted last week, barefoot contessa carrot/pineapple cake, should be ready in about 45 minutes!

I halved the recipe.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Spareribs done in a citrus barbecue sauce, boiled potatoes with butter and parsley, and cucumber/tomato salad. Enough ribs left over for Joe to take to work for lunch tomorrow.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

honey made green chili salsa tonite.. mmmmmmm soooo good.. and had nachos for din din.. mmmmm

Simple Green Chili Salsa

Ingredients

2 cups of canned green chili’s (I like spicy)

4 oz can of diced jalapeno peppers

½ of a white onion, diced

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 tbsp of arrowroot powder (or corn starch) dissolved in a little bit of water

2 cups of veggie broth

Makes about 2 1/2 cups of salsa (10-1/4 cup servings).

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow for about 20-30 minutes.

You just want to allow the onion and garlic to cook while all of the flavors come together…yum!

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Let me know how that cake turned out trailmix! I love most things that Ina makes and that cake looked delicious.

Marilyn got me thinking about making some wings. I have a package and I think I'm going to make some of the honey BBQ, and half zing wings (hot). Or maybe all of one kind.

I don't think I've ever done this, but yesterday I was looking for something different and I saw ham steaks at the grocers. I love ham, and don't have it often, just because of the sheer size. But I picked up a ham steak, it's cheap enough, and it was already cooked. I made some lemon roast oven potatoes, had some coleslaw, and just heated up in the frypan, this ham steak. Made a little brown sugar mustard glaze for it. It was very nice! I don't know why I haven't done this before? :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I made this quick and easy dish yesterday and hubby seemed to like it.. I liekd it too, I just thought it needed something...

all I dd was fry up some ground beef and then add 1 3/4 cups of water and the noodles from a package of macaroni and cheese (I just used regular mac and cheese but I think it needed a more creamy type of mac and cheese) and bring to a boil and let simmer for about 7 to 9 minutes.. then add the cheese packet, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup ketchup and 1 tablespoon mustard (I think I will leave that out next time and maybe add a bit more ketchup)... I added seom extra grated cheese to this.... then you just mix it all together and warm up til heated through...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Let me know how that cake turned out trailmix! I love most things that Ina makes and that cake looked delicious.

I hear you Carla, I think it's a ham thing! I really like ham too and every once in a while I will pick up a ham steak and think - now this will be good, why we don't have it more often - I have no idea!

The cake was absolutely delicious! It's a very dense cake, as one would expect - but really, delicious! I followed her recipe exactly, except, as I mentioned I halved it - I used 2 eggs and I also used 1/2 dark brown sugar, just because I like it.

Way to go Ina :thumbs:

Timeline

hubby's having a boys bbq tonite.. although the weather doesn't look so good for stogies in the backyard after :( oh well.. i guess I'll go to the mall tonite while they "do their boy stuff".

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
hubby's having a boys bbq tonite.. although the weather doesn't look so good for stogies in the backyard after :( oh well.. i guess I'll go to the mall tonite while they "do their boy stuff".

Boy stuff pfthththt

Anyhoo, I am browning ground beef for lasagna right now - so that is what is for dinner. Have chopped tomatoes, green peppers and onion to add to that, will also add spaghetti sauce. Have been using Bertolli's sauce - we like it and not too awfully sweet and no HFCS.

I wonder whether HFCS is the culprit or just the fact that they seem to add too much sugar to everything packaged here.

Anyway, when I make lasagna I rinse off the ground beef, when it is almost cooked, then brown it after, does anyone else do that?

It also looks like I have enough ingredients for 2 loaf pans - bonus, can freeze one!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.