Krikit

Grocery Items Unavailable in the US

477 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
yes they have cheese whiz down here but it doesn't taste the same.... :no:

I can't help but feel that if you've eaten Cheese Whiz enough to discern a noticeable difference in taste then HFCS is the least of your worries... :unsure:

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

I can't help but feel that if you've eaten Cheese Whiz enough to discern a noticeable difference in taste then HFCS is the least of your worries... :unsure:

I didn't even mention anything about HFSC's ... :lol:

I have no idea if HFSC is the reason Cheese Whiz tastes different down here... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I didn't even mention anything about HFSC's ... :lol:

I have no idea if HFSC is the reason Cheese Whiz tastes different down here... :P

Well, it probably is. Regardless, I can't understand why anyone would enjoy eating fake plasticized cheese that has a similar consistency to that of tar.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
well, I do, as do many others.. it is so yummy on toast ...

And on celery... and melted with chips dipped in.... but I guess I'm one of the rare few who don't notice a taste difference in really anything - cheez whiz, pop, ketchup, yogurt.

Just got back from another grocery store trip, got some Shreddies this time and picked up the beer yay! I'm ready to head back now, the car is stuffed

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

actually there is no HFCS in cheese whiz....

Canadian ingredients

Ingredients: Modified milk ingredients, cheese (modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, calcium chloride, colour, rennet, and or microbial enzymes,) water, maltodextrin, sodium phosphate, salt, sodium alginate, ground mustard spice, sorbic acid, colour (A116N)

USA ingredients

Ingredients: Whey, canola oil, milk protein concentrate, maltodextrin, sodium phosphate, contains less than 2% of whey protien concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sodium alginate, mustard flour, worchestershire sauce, (vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor), sorbic acid as a preservative, milkfat, cheese culture, oleoresin paprika (color), annatto (color), natural flavor, enzymes.

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=2016

ok no wonder the US cheese whiz doesn't taste the same :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I can't seem to find Aylmer Canned Tomatoes in the US.

Or not in California anyway.

The Whole Tomatoes with Herbs and Spices are so good.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Caramilk, that stuff is like liquid gold, I swear. Apparently the Benson and Hedges smokes here are god awful, although I think the ones in Canada are pretty rank too.

(04/25/08 - 04/29/08) - The first time Ashley and Arnold meet in person! Windsor was cold :(!

(05/22/08 - 05/27/08) - Ashley's second trip to Windsor.

(05/24/08) - Arnold proposes to Ashley at the Riverwalk, how romantic! Ashley's 19th birthday.

+(06/06/08) - I-129F sent to Vermont

(06/09/08) - Arnold's 18th birthday.

+(06/18/08) - NOA1 received by Ashley

(06/25/08 - 08/19/08) - Arnold visits Texas for the first time! Yeehaw!

(07/05/08) - Arnold is turned down by Ashley's father when Arnold asks for his permission/approval to ask Ashley to marry him.

+(10/14/08) - NOA2 Issued

+(10/21/08) - NVC Confirmation Issued

+(10/22/08) - NOA2 Received by Ashley

+(10/23/08) - NVC Confirmation received by Ashley.

+(11/11/08) - Packet 3 Recieved by Arnold. So close, I can almost taste itttt~

(12/18/08 - 01/06/09) - Arnold and Ashley's first Christmas and New Years together in Texas <3

(02/12/09 - 02/16/09) - Ashley visits Arnold in Canada for Valentines Day and Family Day.

(03/13/09 - 03/22/09) - Ashley visits Arnold in Canada for Spring Break :3

+(03/31/09) - Packet 4 Received with so little runway.

+(04/08/09) - Arnold's Interview date!!!

(07/10/09) - Arnold arrives in the US

~(08/14/09) - Marriage in Austin, together at last!~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Caramilk, that stuff is like liquid gold, I swear. Apparently the Benson and Hedges smokes here are god awful, although I think the ones in Canada are pretty rank too.

(04/25/08 - 04/29/08) - The first time Ashley and Arnold meet in person! Windsor was cold :(!

(05/22/08 - 05/27/08) - Ashley's second trip to Windsor.

(05/24/08) - Arnold proposes to Ashley at the Riverwalk, how romantic! Ashley's 19th birthday.

+(06/06/08) - I-129F sent to Vermont

(06/09/08) - Arnold's 18th birthday.

+(06/18/08) - NOA1 received by Ashley

(06/25/08 - 08/19/08) - Arnold visits Texas for the first time! Yeehaw!

(07/05/08) - Arnold is turned down by Ashley's father when Arnold asks for his permission/approval to ask Ashley to marry him.

+(10/14/08) - NOA2 Issued

+(10/21/08) - NVC Confirmation Issued

+(10/22/08) - NOA2 Received by Ashley

+(10/23/08) - NVC Confirmation received by Ashley.

+(11/11/08) - Packet 3 Recieved by Arnold. So close, I can almost taste itttt~

(12/18/08 - 01/06/09) - Arnold and Ashley's first Christmas and New Years together in Texas <3

(02/12/09 - 02/16/09) - Ashley visits Arnold in Canada for Valentines Day and Family Day.

(03/13/09 - 03/22/09) - Ashley visits Arnold in Canada for Spring Break :3

+(03/31/09) - Packet 4 Received with so little runway.

+(04/08/09) - Arnold's Interview date!!!

(07/10/09) - Arnold arrives in the US

~(08/14/09) - Marriage in Austin, together at last!~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We can get caramilk here...many cadbury bars actually (central Florida).

Filed: Other Timeline

Hershey's has the label license for Cadbury's in the US though, so it's not the same, unless you're getting them at an import shop and the label says "Made in UK" or elsewhere. The Hershey's versions suck, the chocolate is not anywhere near as rich and tastey as the Canadian or other versions. I actually emailed them one time to ask them about that, and they said because they use a different type of cocoa, and less of it. There are more fillers in the US versions of chocolate bars, so less actual chocolate to keep the price down.

Personally, I quite enjoy some chocolate in my chocolate.

US Cheez Whiz doesn't actually have any cheez in it, the Canadian version does, hence the difference.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Hershey's has the label license for Cadbury's in the US though, so it's not the same, unless you're getting them at an import shop and the label says "Made in UK" or elsewhere. The Hershey's versions suck, the chocolate is not anywhere near as rich and tastey as the Canadian or other versions. I actually emailed them one time to ask them about that, and they said because they use a different type of cocoa, and less of it. There are more fillers in the US versions of chocolate bars, so less actual chocolate to keep the price down.

US Cheez Whiz doesn't actually have any cheez in it, the Canadian version does, hence the difference.

I'm not a big fan of Hershey's myself either. Chocolate DOES taste different here. I think Herhey's makes Reeces stuff too, and it doesn't taste the same as in Canada as well. I'm wondering if Hershey's even makes milk chocolate? They seem to have a darker more bitter chocolate.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I'm not a big fan of Hershey's myself either. Chocolate DOES taste different here. I think Herhey's makes Reeces stuff too, and it doesn't taste the same as in Canada as well. I'm wondering if Hershey's even makes milk chocolate? They seem to have a darker more bitter chocolate.

I liked Hershey's chocolate when I was a kid, but as I got older, I enjoyed it less. There's a lot of good chocolate in the U.S., but the most commonly available is Hershey's (mostly because it's relatively cheap to produce and sell). If you look at stores like Walmart or whatever, the chances are you won't find quality chocolate. In general, you have to look a little harder to find the really good chocolate.

I liked Hershey's chocolate when I was a kid, but as I got older, I enjoyed it less. There's a lot of good chocolate in the U.S., but the most commonly available is Hershey's (mostly because it's relatively cheap to produce and sell). If you look at stores like Walmart or whatever, the chances are you won't find quality chocolate. In general, you have to look a little harder to find the really good chocolate.

Yes, I've found Ghirardelli chocolate very good. It's not cheap though. I rarely eat chocolate anymore, so when I do, I prefer good chocolate. I was referencing chocolate that's in candy bars earlier though. I was and am a huge fan of Cadbury, but the Cadbury here is not the same and that's where my comment about Hershey's came from.

I don't shop, nor have I ever shopped at Walmart either. THAT is another thread all in itself. :innocent::lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.