Krikit

Grocery Items Unavailable in the US

477 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So just walked into Walgreens here and browsed around waiting for the sub shop to open across the street when I found a bag of chips from Burger King. Yeah apparently they have their own chip brand now, and there was one bag of Ketchup and Fries. So had to get that one. The chips were retangle and flat, so different shape, but they actually tasted like Ketchup chips. So that was really cool, just sucks they only had one bag.

I did notice that there were other Burger King chips like the Salt and Vingegar with a huge British flag on it. So I'm thinking with the salt and vingegar and ketchup chips that they're doing a big British marketing thing. Will have to look up the brand and see what else they have...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So just walked into Walgreens here and browsed around waiting for the sub shop to open across the street when I found a bag of chips from Burger King. Yeah apparently they have their own chip brand now, and there was one bag of Ketchup and Fries. So had to get that one. The chips were retangle and flat, so different shape, but they actually tasted like Ketchup chips. So that was really cool, just sucks they only had one bag.

I did notice that there were other Burger King chips like the Salt and Vingegar with a huge British flag on it. So I'm thinking with the salt and vingegar and ketchup chips that they're doing a big British marketing thing. Will have to look up the brand and see what else they have...

I'm a regular at Walgreens, so I'm going to look for them!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found Mr. Christie arrowroot "baby cookies" at Wegmans.... I love Wegmans!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I love Wegmans toooooooooo. :crying:

(We don't have a Wegmans. Can you tell?)

Awww no Wegmans!? That's no good. Not only do they have Arrowroot cookies (which my Mom was sending down to me and now doesn't have to) they have TIMMY'S COFFEE!! And the best frozen perogies ever eaten!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Timeline

I love Wegmans toooooooooo. :crying:

(We don't have a Wegmans. Can you tell?)

Awww no Wegmans!? That's no good. Not only do they have Arrowroot cookies (which my Mom was sending down to me and now doesn't have to) they have TIMMY'S COFFEE!! And the best frozen perogies ever eaten!

ICantHearYou-1.jpg

iagree.gif

Timeline
:rofl:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

I don't think we have a Wegmans here either, i'm going to have to do a search. I so miss perogies and arrowroot cookies. Too lazy to make perrogies and the only frozen ones i've seen here in Walmart cost way too much for a pack of 8.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seriously?!

I have been doing some checking into which of my beloved foods contain HFCS, so I can pack up some good old Canadian products prior to crossing the border.

I was not surprised about ketchup and mayo and Miracle Whip and Coke. Okay, a little bit. But. Fine. Pain the butt, but fine.

What I am surprised at... cereal. Cereal?!

Last night I saw one of those ridiculous commercials from the Corn Growers Association, yet again saying how HFCS is "fine in moderation." Well, how moderate is my consumption when they even put it in Special K and Rice Krispies and Almond Crisp and... and... what?!

I know it will be impossible to avoid HFCS altogether, especially since I can only take so much Canadian groceries with me every visit, but seriously. It's depressing.

As if I wasn't bad enough, stocking up on salad dressings and condiments here, now I'm also going to finish off our U-Haul with a crate of cereal. Sheesh.

Lori (and Chris)

Smarties is another one to add - Smarties here aren't the chocolate candies like we get in Canada and the UK. Americans call those sour little candies that come in a roll (like Rockets) Smarties.

Oh that's so funny!!! I have 25 pages to read of this thread..( I just found it ) but needed to reply to this!!

That's exactly what I told Tim!! I hadn't looked for Smarties before on any other trips..but it was during our trip in May, when I grabbed a bag of trail mix and said "looks like there's smarties in here" ( should have seen the look on his face, especially when I sung the Smartie song). So I explained...and later...he showed me US smarties!!! LOL LOL LOL I said.."What??? those are rockets!!" I saw him in Orlando last October. ( That's when he proposed to me ) and of course, I brought down Smarties for him to try. ( he likes them!!) Wonder if that was what made him propose??? hmmmmmm

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

Guess what the Wegmans by me started carrying?? Mint green aero bars!!! I nearly cried when I saw them! I was sooo happy! I bought like 10. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Seriously?!

I have been doing some checking into which of my beloved foods contain HFCS, so I can pack up some good old Canadian products prior to crossing the border.

I was not surprised about ketchup and mayo and Miracle Whip and Coke. Okay, a little bit. But. Fine. Pain the butt, but fine.

What I am surprised at... cereal. Cereal?!

Last night I saw one of those ridiculous commercials from the Corn Growers Association, yet again saying how HFCS is "fine in moderation." Well, how moderate is my consumption when they even put it in Special K and Rice Krispies and Almond Crisp and... and... what?!

I know it will be impossible to avoid HFCS altogether, especially since I can only take so much Canadian groceries with me every visit, but seriously. It's depressing.

As if I wasn't bad enough, stocking up on salad dressings and condiments here, now I'm also going to finish off our U-Haul with a crate of cereal. Sheesh.

Lori (and Chris)

I hear you on this one! It makes the cereal taste funny too!

Even worse - I bought some fibre one - seemed like a good cereal, tasted ok - then I read the package one day and it has artificial sweetner in it! In a cereal? So that went in the garbage.

Anyway, I am now finishing off my HFCS enhanced cereals and we now have Quaker natural granola and Shredded wheat (spoon size) and I am looking for weetabix (which we are having trouble finding here - krikit where do you buy yours?

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Timeline

artificial sweeteners are better than HFCS. Splenda brand being the best for you, as it is made directly from cane sugar. Aspartame can cause headaches in some people, but in moderation, it is better for you than HFCS.

If you want to avoid all artificial sweeteners, go for the organics cereal section. Most of them use organic cane sugar.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if you guys have seen this already, but Weetabix is in the United States. I was pretty surprised, but it's here and easy to find, too. The downside is it seems to be in relatively small packages instead of the full box.

Timeline

Yeah, I have found Weetabix at my neighbourhood Kroger's. I bought some and Joe tried them but found them too bland - too used to that modified wheat taste of US cereals.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.