aussiewench

i-601: General Moral Support, i-601 app

1,630 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I've almost given up hope in my case I am already making other plans, just in case things don't go our way. Does anyone know about having a religious ceremony in Mexico is that considered legally married? I really would like the religious ceremony to be there and maybe if he ever gets his visa come back and marry here through a Justice of the Peace.

Hey Bonnie... yes you are legally married once you have the ceremony. You will have to have a civil one and then do the church one. send inloveinmexico a PM. She was really helpful when I told her I was going to live in Mexico since she did it for so long.

Married EWI May 2003

Filed I-130 August 13, 2003

I-30 Approved May 2005

Rec packet from NVC July 2005

Sent back packet Sept. 3, 2005

Case completed by NVC Sept 15, 2005

Case transferred to CDJ Sept 20, 2005

Still waiting for appointment!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

That's good, Melissa! I just love weddings! Besides it will keep you busy for the moment, I'm about to lose my mind, but I will try to keep busy hopefully it will make the time go faster.

I wanted to get a ticker and it is being a pinchi.

Thanks, Elvia I will pm her.

K-1

09/14/05 sent in petition

12/20/05 case at CDJ

1/09/06 Had interview and placed on Administrative Processing/221(g) for 6 months.

07/06/06 Interview, Successful!!!

07/06/06 Fiance receives Visa and enters U.S.!

09/02/06 Wedding Day!

AOS

12/09/06 Mailed AOS package.

12/11/06 USCIS receives AOS package

12/14/06 NOA1

12/26/06 Rec'd Bio Letter

12/28/06 Rec'd email: Transferred to CSC!!!

12/31/06 *Touched*

01/02/07 Original Biometrics appt. (postponed)

01/05/07 Rec'd email: Case pending at CSC

01/08/07 Infopass for Biometrics *Touched*

01/09/07 Rec'd email Case transferred to CSC(again)

01/15/07 *Touched*

01/17/07 Received email case pending at CSC(again)

01/18/07 *Touched*

01/20/07 *Touched*

06/27/07 Letter welcoming new resident mailed!

07/02/07 Recv'd 2 yr conditional GC!

EAD

02/28/07 efiled

03/01/07 Rec'd at CSC, NOA1

03/01/07 mailed supporting documents to CSC

03/02/07 pending at CSC

03/05/07 Rec'd Bio Letter

03/13/07 *Touched*

03/16/07 Bio Appt. *Touched*

03/17/07 *Touched*

03/20/07 Rec'd approval email

03/23/07 EAD received!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've almost given up hope in my case I am already making other plans, just in case things don't go our way. Does anyone know about having a religious ceremony in Mexico is that considered legally married? I really would like the religious ceremony to be there and maybe if he ever gets his visa come back and marry here through a Justice of the Peace.

Hey Bonnie... yes you are legally married once you have the ceremony. You will have to have a civil one and then do the church one. send inloveinmexico a PM. She was really helpful when I told her I was going to live in Mexico since she did it for so long.

You are not legally married if you ONLY have a religious ceremony in Mexico. You have to have a civil ceremony (normally first), and never have to have a religious ceremony. The civil ceremony is conducted by the registro civil (civil registry) and is the moment the marriage license is given and is the only legal wedding. The religious ceremony issues no license and is not legal. Mexico's strict in a lot of ways on separation of church and state, and this is one of them - they aren't giving priests the right to issue marriage licenses. :lol:

My husband and I have 2 anniversaries, 3 months apart - April is our civil anniversary, and July is our church anniversary. But as far as US Immigration is concerned, we only have one - the April anniversary because it is the only that's legal.

I forgot to say - we obviously got married in Mexico - both the civil and the religious ceremony. I'll be glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge and recollection if you want to ask.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

You are not legally married if you ONLY have a religious ceremony in Mexico. You have to have a civil ceremony (normally first), and never have to have a religious ceremony. The civil ceremony is conducted by the registro civil (civil registry) and is the moment the marriage license is given and is the only legal wedding. The religious ceremony issues no license and is not legal. Mexico's strict in a lot of ways on separation of church and state, and this is one of them - they aren't giving priests the right to issue marriage licenses. :lol:

My husband and I have 2 anniversaries, 3 months apart - April is our civil anniversary, and July is our church anniversary. But as far as US Immigration is concerned, we only have one - the April anniversary because it is the only that's legal.

I forgot to say - we obviously got married in Mexico - both the civil and the religious ceremony. I'll be glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge and recollection if you want to ask.

I might need your help soon...I'm still thinking in the "what if" terms of possibly moving to CDJ when the Advisory Opinion is denied or I give up.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's not that hard, but you'd probably need to go at least one visit before you want to do it, so you can talk to the priest and find out what he'll require as far as paperwork and preparation.

You'll have take the required marriage preparation class. That's even for people who are already married civilly. In our parish in Mexico, it was a weekend class (8-hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday I think). Most priests will require you go through it before you can get married, but I think occasionally you can find a priest who will let that slide, but it's pretty rare.

You'll have to also take paperwork to show you've never been married before canonically (this means religiously) and I think your baptismal certificate.

Each priest is different on what they require though usually. SOme of them might even work with you to get all the preparation and the ceremony done in one visit if you're lucky, but it's not likely.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

Okay, next question. I have been married before here in the US. So does that mean we can't get married in the church down there? I have been baptized but don't have a certificate. I don't think our church does that. I am not catholic, just wanted to do it to please his abuelita. We are going for 12 days in December, if we can do it, do you think that is enough time?

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Elvia, I should have listened to you...why do I not??? Oh well, you'll be seeing a lot more of me in here in the future.

:yes::yes: Hate to say (well not really) I told you so!! :yes:

Married EWI May 2003

Filed I-130 August 13, 2003

I-30 Approved May 2005

Rec packet from NVC July 2005

Sent back packet Sept. 3, 2005

Case completed by NVC Sept 15, 2005

Case transferred to CDJ Sept 20, 2005

Still waiting for appointment!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Elvia, I should have listened to you...why do I not??? Oh well, you'll be seeing a lot more of me in here in the future.

:yes::yes: Hate to say (well not really) I told you so!! :yes:

:o:o:o

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks, InLoveInMexico, you have given me something to work on. I will ask Alberto to ask the priest there, to see what is needed to have the religious ceremony not registered through the civil. I am so excited!!! He is the last one that has not married off by church, and it would mean so much to his parents and family that the ceremony happen at their church...and it would mean the world to us.

I guess this is the mock wedding? It will be better than the 'legal' one here in the states.

Edited by yzuniga

K-1

09/14/05 sent in petition

12/20/05 case at CDJ

1/09/06 Had interview and placed on Administrative Processing/221(g) for 6 months.

07/06/06 Interview, Successful!!!

07/06/06 Fiance receives Visa and enters U.S.!

09/02/06 Wedding Day!

AOS

12/09/06 Mailed AOS package.

12/11/06 USCIS receives AOS package

12/14/06 NOA1

12/26/06 Rec'd Bio Letter

12/28/06 Rec'd email: Transferred to CSC!!!

12/31/06 *Touched*

01/02/07 Original Biometrics appt. (postponed)

01/05/07 Rec'd email: Case pending at CSC

01/08/07 Infopass for Biometrics *Touched*

01/09/07 Rec'd email Case transferred to CSC(again)

01/15/07 *Touched*

01/17/07 Received email case pending at CSC(again)

01/18/07 *Touched*

01/20/07 *Touched*

06/27/07 Letter welcoming new resident mailed!

07/02/07 Recv'd 2 yr conditional GC!

EAD

02/28/07 efiled

03/01/07 Rec'd at CSC, NOA1

03/01/07 mailed supporting documents to CSC

03/02/07 pending at CSC

03/05/07 Rec'd Bio Letter

03/13/07 *Touched*

03/16/07 Bio Appt. *Touched*

03/17/07 *Touched*

03/20/07 Rec'd approval email

03/23/07 EAD received!

Where is everyone? I keep watching for someone to come on and nobody has. Must mean you are all busy. Hope everyone is having a good day. It's raining and all around crappy here today. Javier is at home, so I wish I were too. I hate working when I know he is sitting at home enjoying himself. Heck, I could be at home enjoying him too. :devil: Hope someone shows up soon.

I'm not. Javier is at home. He was signed in. He said you sent something over but he can't type so didn't send you anything back. I went checking on my computer and I have MSN here but it won't let me sign in. It keeps telling me the server won't allow it. I don't know. :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.