Ta Ta

Sub-saharan cyber cafe

4,195 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
That is interesting. I wonder how the Sudanese first starting going there. Shoot now the belll has rung and my break is over. :(

I really have no idea. I have a friend whose family moved there from Sudan. I think her dad got a job there and then a few years later the rest of her family came to the US. I think that the things that draw them to Iowa are probably the universities and job opportunities. For many, one parent comes and then the rest join later and then they just stay. Its pretty quiet and safe and a good place to raise a family.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I really have no idea. I have a friend whose family moved there from Sudan. I think her dad got a job there and then a few years later the rest of her family came to the US. I think that the things that draw them to Iowa are probably the universities and job opportunities. For many, one parent comes and then the rest join later and then they just stay. Its pretty quiet and safe and a good place to raise a family.

It's easier when there is a community of support. Well, it's curious. Where in Iowa is this? I suppose within the vicinity of a large city.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

It's easier when there is a community of support. Well, it's curious. Where in Iowa is this? I suppose within the vicinity of a large city.

This is in Iowa City, IA...literally in the middle of nowhere. The biggest thing in the town is the University of Iowa and the Oral B factory. I think the reason that there may be so many Sudanese is that there is a pretty strong Arab community in Cedar Rapids which is 30 minutes away but that is nothing close to a large city either. Come to think of it, there is also a big Bosnian population there too.

Click for full timeline

Got my book today!!!

It came from amazon.com!!!

:dance::dance::dance:

Got mine on Friday from Amazon, was a little suprised because I cancelled the Amazon order and ordered with C&B books, I called them on last Wednesday and was told that the book should arrive by Friday. I have not gotten it yet, I feel a :wacko: headache coming on because now, I have to try to get refund from C& B.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: Other Timeline

hey y'all, why y'all talkin' 'bout Iowa and it's "afrikkanns :blink: ?"

I have yet to see any of 'em around here where I live :ph34r: .

however; there are a bunch of inner city youngins in these parts :unsure: . and I hate it :protest: .

they give my community a bad name :secret: .

I am the first to admit that I am a product of the inner city, but atleast :content: ,

I faked having class until it became au naturale' :hehe:

but seriously, I haven't seen any africans around here B) . where dey at? :huh:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Timeline

I just did my taxes with TurboTax..amazing!

First time I have ever used it and I will use it every year from now on :)

If any of you have State Farm as your insurance company you can use it for free :yes:

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I just did my taxes with TurboTax..amazing!

First time I have ever used it and I will use it every year from now on :)

If any of you have State Farm as your insurance company you can use it for free :yes:

I use TurboTax every year cause my credit union gives it to members for free online. Next year is even easier cause they remember all your stuff and you pretty much have to put in the simple changes. Although this year, we'll all have our SO become our hubbies and have to file as married. Whoo Hoo!!

hey y'all, why y'all talkin' 'bout Iowa and it's "afrikkanns :blink: ?"

I have yet to see any of 'em around here where I live :ph34r: .

however; there are a bunch of inner city youngins in these parts :unsure: . and I hate it :protest: .

they give my community a bad name :secret: .

I am the first to admit that I am a product of the inner city, but atleast :content: ,

I faked having class until it became au naturale' :hehe:

but seriously, I haven't seen any africans around here B) . where dey at? :huh:

Sounds like you have to go the Timbuktu, Iowa to find any africans. Where do you live in Iowa? Hey chispas, there are lots of black people in Iowa. Whuddathunkit? Were you driving through and your car broke down?

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Lol. I was afraid to drive through there and Wyoming. My girlfriends have family out there and invited me along. They forgot to mention that there weren't any darkies in the town and I don't use out houses in the winter time nor do I dress well enough for their winters. I was treated nicely, just stared at a lot by older people because. I didn't fit into the nice African American box because I have a slight (cough cough) accent to top it off. I don't like potatoes, dry corn, greasy gravy nor big slabs of beef either so it was interesting. I forgot to add the beer. Don't drink that either. So I was not invited back. LOL

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

g'morning all :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
I live in the quad cities, Iowa side.

Well then, that is probably why you haven't met any Africans. I am telling you, they all congregate around the universities. Make a day trip to Iowa City and go to an African Student's Association event. I tell you, it is like being back home.

g'morning all :thumbs:

Morning Charles....and everyone else.

I lost my internet last night :ranting: . Lets hope I will have internet when I get home after work.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

(singin) "It's mo'nin'"

Hey y'all!

I said it yesterday and I'm sayin' it again :o .

Whatz goingz on wid dah weatha :angry: ???

Nah' de talkin' 'bout "thunder snow!?!?!" :blink: #######??

Is it going to snow or thunder :huh: ??

Snow does not require a symphony, rain does!! :yes:

p.s.if the weather keeps this up, I'm changin' my name to "twosomeconfused" :(

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.