Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I slipped on an oil patch in the garage yesterday (at the gym) & fell hard on the side of my foot. I am limping & in a lot of pain.

:ranting:

Hope you're feeling better today (F)

Was this by Glendale Galleria by any chance?

OH I LOVE NORDSTROM RACK!!!!!!!!!! That is where I do most of my clothes shopping. I got a pair of Guess shoes for $39, a Michael Kors sweater for $60 and a pair of pants by Laundry for $80.

It's near the Glendale Galleria, but it's on Glendale avenue, so maybe 8 blocks away. Nordstrom Rack!! That was it. I actually only got work out shorts but there were some beautiful dresses and tops there.

Good morning UK. Myself & Ginger had a great time last night at a concert by the Canadian band Stars. Still on a high now from it. :D

The opening band was Bell X1 who were fantastic as well. The only drawback was that drinks there were $6 for a 16 oz can of Miller. Ewwww!!!

I didn't know bellx1 were still going! I used to live with one of the bands sisters in Dublin. And I've still only ever heard about one of their songs.

i used to be told by my teachers (about studying) that you shouldn't wait to feel your way to an action, but act your way in to a feeling. Meaning if you generally want to do something, you shouldn't wait to feel like doing it, you should do it and then you will feel studious (or like excercising). I use that sometimes to tell myself to do stuff, other times I ignore myself, and sit on the couch eating ice cream. :blush:

I went to Michaels, and it turned out to be in shopping heaven. In the same complex there was a Nordstrom outlet, a World market and a whole foods. And the Michaels itself was like nothing I've ever seen. It was unbelievable!!! I used to hate this craft show on TV when I was a kid called 'Make and Do' cos the presenter was always using fancy things that you couldn't get anywhere else but dublin. 'Get this in your local craft shop' she would say, hah, there was no local craft shop. If I had a Michaels then I could have put her craft supply store to shame :star:

Hmmm good advice - I just always seem to be waiting for the right moment. Like, we've been without an oven for so long that the pizza we took out of the freezer a week ago has been sitting in our fridge and now needs to be thrown. BUT they have pizzas on offer for $2.99 each in Stater Brothers so we can hardly pass that up :blush: Then there is the box of white zin in the fridge that Jeremy surprised me with the other night - want that gone before starting a "new me" regime. I think I really need to talk to Jeremy about it as well as I am useless on my own - when I lost weight before it was something I did with mum so that was always really cool. And when I get a job it will be handy as I will have some kind of routine and will be able to pack a lunch and not be able to snack!!

Man I really miss uni - dunno where that came from but I just had a pang of longing for times sat in the cafe eating hot freshly prepared soup with my friends while it is crisp and cold outside after a "summer" off. :cry: I really need to go back to school when we can afford it...

I never heard of Michaels but just found out there is one on East Palm Canyon!!! Woohoo!! And they sell beads and things too so can use it for emergency jewellery supplies until I can afford to buy wholesale... once I find a decent wholesaler of course... As for clothes... well - we're all about Walmart right now when we can afford it :lol: Classy!! Either that or thrift stores anyway ;) But then I have never been a designer kinda person. Maybe if we had more money :D

Oh! And World Market has a patio table that has 75% off!!! We popped down last night to see if they had one at our local store so we could avoid the $75 shipping surcharge but they didn't :( So it looks like it is online for us after all - ah well - still works out at almost 50% off :)

I always find it's better not to go on a 'whole new start' because if you go off track, you feel like the whole thing has failed, but really if you just start with a little change, and work up, it's easier to maintain. Also if you want motivation, I would start with excercise, there's nothing quite like doing a little excercise to blow away the cobwebs.

You should go and see Michaels, maybe it's just my country self, but I've never seen anything like it. You should only go if you are prepared to spend some money cos I'm telling you, it's got EVERYTHING :yes:

I agree...doing too much at once can be overwhelming. I basically started getting healthy by making myself drink all 8 glasses or whatever is required of water a day. After I had that routine down I tried to get more fruits/veg into my diet, and once I was successful (or somewhat successful) I started exercising.

And swimming is a great workout...and even better if you enjoy it! Basically all I can do in the water is keep myself from dying.

Just saw this now as I jetted out of here last night to go to my son's open house at school. What a snoozer. Went to one Monday night for my other 2 who go to the elementary school. I seriously don't see the point of these events. It is hilarious to me, though, how some parents are so over-involved and ask millions of questions while the rest of us are held prisoner in the classroom, waiting for them to stop. Email folks. Use it!

As for my childhood behavior, I was very precoscious. In second grade (age 7/8 or so) we had to write a paper...I guess about our parents...that was going to be displayed for the school open house. My mom used to have a large mole on the side of her nose so I composed a paper about my mom's mole. My mom came and was reading the display in the hallway...and she turned bright red! She didn't bother hanging around...she grabbed me and my dad and hightailed it out of there!

Robin - the show was at The Vic. I used to live down the street from there when I first moved to Chi-town...I think I remember you saying one time you lived on about Barry & Broadway?

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin - the show was at The Vic. I used to live down the street from there when I first moved to Chi-town...I think I remember you saying one time you lived on about Barry & Broadway?

Ahh the Vic - I saw many shows there, back in the day including Radiohead before they became a big deal. Do they still do the Brew and View there on Friday nights?

I was at Broadway and Oakdale - walking distance to the Vic and other fine establishments

90day.jpg

Timeline

Ahh the Vic - I saw many shows there, back in the day including Radiohead before they became a big deal. Do they still do the Brew and View there on Friday nights?

I was at Broadway and Oakdale - walking distance to the Vic and other fine establishments

I lived about School and Kenmore...not too far away.

Yeah they still do have the Brew and View! Its only $5 for a double feature, but of course booze is still pricey. Nicky and I saw Hot Fuzz there one of the first times he came to the US to see me.

Was Clarks around when you lived up here?

wtf-picard.jpg

Why yes it was - I still have fond memories of the Greek omlette. Is that area near the Belmont El still a hodge-podge of Army surpluses and places to buy cheap-but-trendy clothes and shoes? Do they still have that shop that sells the gargoyles? Do the misunderstood teenagers still mill around the Dunkin' Donuts?

I haven't been there in a few years but I fear gentrification!

90day.jpg

Cool! One of my older mates from back home saw them play at hmv in Newcastle in front of 20 people way back when.

My only claim is that I saw Coldplay support before Yellow was big. :blush: And yes Chris Martin was still a whiney #### back then!!

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

How funny is it that the only people in the thread ginger started in OT on Clay Aiken coming out who ran with the pin pictures were UK peeps? Is this not something anyone from any other culture finds funny? I mean, come ON! They are freakin' FANTASTIC!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
Why yes it was - I still have fond memories of the Greek omlette. Is that area near the Belmont El still a hodge-podge of Army surpluses and places to buy cheap-but-trendy clothes and shoes? Do they still have that shop that sells the gargoyles? Do the misunderstood teenagers still mill around the Dunkin' Donuts?

I haven't been there in a few years but I fear gentrification!

The giant Belmont Army/Navy Surplus is still there, but it has completely changed. They knocked down the old building when the Belmont red line stop expanded, so they build a new one down the street.

23493.jpg

They still have some military surplus gear but they mostly specialize in retailing fashion...they seem to have a penchant for Paul Frank and Ben Sherman.

But there are still plenty cheap but trendy clothes stores that I shop at (Pink Frog, Nevermind, Fashion Tomato), as well as vintage stuff (Ragstock, Hollywood Mirror, Disgraceland), and the mizunderstood kids still hang out at Dunkin Donuts and shop at The Alley or some of the other head shops or what not.

My favorite is a new store that opened up called Galactic Warrior or something like that...they retail Star Wars collector items!

Ann Sather vacated their old building and moved a few buildings down. The owner, Tom Tunney, is also the Alderman of the ward and the only openly gay Alderman in Chicago.

As for gentrification, American Apparel is moving into the old Ann Sather building. Right across the street from the 3 or so buildings to the east of Clarks have been knocked down and a condo/business building was built. The ground floor has a Potbelly's and a Jamba Juice. Most of the gentrification is in residential areas with all sorts of old buildings being knocked down for condos.

wtf-picard.jpg

Cool! One of my older mates from back home saw them play at hmv in Newcastle in front of 20 people way back when.

My only claim is that I saw Coldplay support before Yellow was big. :blush: And yes Chris Martin was still a whiney #### back then!!

The video of Yellow with him walking on the beach in an anorak is the most un-rock and roll thing in music history. True story - when I was in Beijing 5 years ago and it was a bit less fabulous than it was during the Olympics my friend and I sniffed out a bar where there was live music. Crowd was a mix of Chinese and westerners. This band comes on and do a few songs (I assume their own) in a krazee rawk stylee. Then the lead singer says (in English) this is a song we would like to do, I believe it is about Chinese people. And what does he sing? Coldplay's Yellow. Weirdest. thing. ever.

Although it warms my heart that Pink Frog and Hollywood Mirror are still there - I am truly saddened by the demise of Anne Sather for an American Apparel - say it isn't so!

Edited by rkl57

90day.jpg

Timeline

The video of Yellow with him walking on the beach in an anorak is the most un-rock and roll thing in music history. True story - when I was in Beijing 5 years ago and it was a bit less fabulous than it was during the Olympics my friend and I sniffed out a bar where there was live music. Crowd was a mix of Chinese and westerners. This band comes on and do a few songs (I assume their own) in a krazee rawk stylee. Then the lead singer says (in English) this is a song we would like to do, I believe it is about Chinese people. And what does he sing? Coldplay's Yellow. Weirdest. thing. ever.

Although it warms my heart that Pink Frog and Hollywood Mirror are still there - I am truly saddened by the demise of Anne Sather for an American Apparel - say it isn't so!

No worries Ann Sather is still around! They just moved a few doors down into a larger space. They also opened up another one up on Addison & Broadway-ish...they have Disco Brunches there!

He dedicated "Yellow" to Chinese people? Whoa talk about an insulting thing to say!

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
Julez -

I am wearing my Buffalo Area Little League tshirt today, which I got ironically enough, in Topshop in London! ;)

Let's go Buffalo!!!

Just saw this now as I jetted out of here last night to go to my son's open house at school. What a snoozer. Went to one Monday night for my other 2 who go to the elementary school. I seriously don't see the point of these events. It is hilarious to me, though, how some parents are so over-involved and ask millions of questions while the rest of us are held prisoner in the classroom, waiting for them to stop. Email folks. Use it!

Ok...I don't have kids, but my friend's have a foreign exchange student (very nice girl from Venezuela) this year. I accompanied my friend to the girl's back to school night as a favor (she was scared to go alone). It was the most horrible 2 hours of my life. In every class there was at least one set of parents that wanted to turn it into their own private parent teacher meeting. Hello?! I don't care to hear about every single one of your kids assignments or what grade they got on it. There is this wonderful invention called a telephone or if you want to get all fancy and techy-hip, you can email the teacher. Good grief...way to hold people hostage while you interupt the teacher. I just hope they have done away with this by the time I have kids. Please Jesus.

The secret is to not attend and send an email asking what you missed! I think that's what I'll do next year. This was the first one I could atend in the last 5 years as they always seemed to fall when I was away on a business trip that was already paid for.

I will remember that when I have kids. It was so hard to not just sit there and roll my eyes.

Please buy Gareth's Flat....http://www.taylorsestateagents.co.uk/content/006_Results/002_Property/property-sales-tayrps-LWC080078-1213606331

Aaaah, having a lovely wifey moment right now. I'm listening to B playing the guitar and singing "Barbara Allen", but he doesn't know I can hear him. He has such a sweet voice, it just makes me feel all ooey-gooey. :luv:

Maybe I need to do a great big sparkly collage in tribute!

Yep, and then I'll make sure I include a few bible quotations too, or at least thank the Baby Jesus for the CSC processing my I-865 back in July.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.