panamania79

Calling cards vs.phone bills

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I have been in Maine now since Sept 1st and my phone bills are a huge stress... sooo much money to call St Lucia. I think 52 cents a minute. I have well over $1000 in phone bills (almost paid them all) and finally called the phone company and blocked all overseas calls, otherwise I could not dicipline myself. So now I use www.enjoyprepaid.com and get about 17 cents a minute - much better! I can also top up Louis' digicel online. This way all the phone bills are paid BEFORE we make calls. Unfortunetly the 800 #s do not show on my phone bill!

I also finally convinced Louis to try e-mail. Since his own home has no running water etc internet is not an option at home but I convinced him to go to a mutual friend's house to use her computer. (he is not real fond of her) He can also sneak at work and check once in a while. But lawd! Trying to teach him over the phone to use e-mail - what a PIA!! LOL I told him he had to figure it out becuase without my huge phone bills we had to have some "proof"... We also have written each other a couple snail mails but there is another headache - the Lucian mail system!

Cat

You are preaching to the choir, girl.

At least he has some sort of internet access. Andre had none. The phone was all we had.

$1,000 in phone bills since September? A drop in the bucket. It could always be worse.

You seem very wise on the blocking thing. I really respect that.

I'm all for that blocking thing.Sometimes when my card runs out and we are in the middle of a conversation,I will call Panama again.I have some really funny stories about people visiting people and runing up 1,000usd phone bills.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What if you choose from the large variety of calling cards to call your fiance/spouse ? Does the USCIS take this as proof or do they require a phone bill ?

no they don't take that as proof if they did i have a sneaker box filled w/calling cards and the last time i checked i had over $12K and that was 2 years ago.

Timeline
What if you choose from the large variety of calling cards to call your fiance/spouse ? Does the USCIS take this as proof or do they require a phone bill ?

no they don't take that as proof if they did i have a sneaker box filled w/calling cards and the last time i checked i had over $12K and that was 2 years ago.

Wait!! What! :o You had $12K in phone bills in 2 years!!!!! Is that what you're saying?! I thought the $1000 was crazy. I can't dial international on my cell or home, so it MADE me find other alternatives. Calling cards are the way to go! I guess I don't have that issue of proving our relationship cause we are married so I prove it with lots of other ways on the I-130. I am sure you can too.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have heard of some people taking them....

I would not even attempt to tally all mine. It would depress me way too much.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

I have heard of some people taking them....

I would not even attempt to tally all mine. It would depress me way too much.

Ditto that!! When I printed my statement from comfi.com , I just had to think "well, damn"....

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

I don't what to tally mine up either since June because I know that I would be like hmmm...Off the top of my head I do know it has been well over $2000...until I found Net 2 Net!!

10/18/07 - Overnighted K-1 Visa Packet

10/25/07 - NOA 1 was received

10/26/07 - Notice Date

10/29/07 - Check Cashed

11/1/07 - Touched

Waiting...Waiting...Waiting...

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading how much you all spend in calling cards!! :o

Have to admit, we spent a lot too, but only for about two months. :blush: We used to chat on Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM), and realized that if we both bought USB headsets (less than $20 in the US), we could talk for real all we wanted on YIM for free!!

Of course, that means being chained to the computer, and somedays YIM acted up, but well worth it to hear each others voice. If you both have access to computers with high-speed internet and speakers, think about trying it.

A few months later, I discovered that if I hooked up a Verizon landline to my house, I could get an "Unlimited UK" calling plan for $40 a month. Now we talk for 3-4 daily.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

I was just reading how much you all spend in calling cards!! :o

Have to admit, we spent a lot too, but only for about two months. :blush: We used to chat on Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM), and realized that if we both bought USB headsets (less than $20 in the US), we could talk for real all we wanted on YIM for free!!

Of course, that means being chained to the computer, and somedays YIM acted up, but well worth it to hear each others voice. If you both have access to computers with high-speed internet and speakers, think about trying it.

A few months later, I discovered that if I hooked up a Verizon landline to my house, I could get an "Unlimited UK" calling plan for $40 a month. Now we talk for 3-4 daily.

You're one of the lucky folk where both parties have Internet access!! Grr...

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I have been in Maine now since Sept 1st and my phone bills are a huge stress... sooo much money to call St Lucia. I think 52 cents a minute. I have well over $1000 in phone bills (almost paid them all) and finally called the phone company and blocked all overseas calls, otherwise I could not dicipline myself. So now I use www.enjoyprepaid.com and get about 17 cents a minute - much better! I can also top up Louis' digicel online. This way all the phone bills are paid BEFORE we make calls. Unfortunetly the 800 #s do not show on my phone bill!

I also finally convinced Louis to try e-mail. Since his own home has no running water etc internet is not an option at home but I convinced him to go to a mutual friend's house to use her computer. (he is not real fond of her) He can also sneak at work and check once in a while. But lawd! Trying to teach him over the phone to use e-mail - what a PIA!! LOL I told him he had to figure it out becuase without my huge phone bills we had to have some "proof"... We also have written each other a couple snail mails but there is another headache - the Lucian mail system!

Cat

Digicel to the US isn't bad...about 20 minutes for $100 J last time I checked.

For calling the caribean (especially JA) I use an outfit called VIP http://www.joinvip.com/ I went from $1.40/min to $.20/min. I blocked all international calls as well when my beloved spouse ran the bill up to $3,000. in two weeks calling home.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

$3,000 in 2 weeks.....I would've mashed up the phone!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

It's worth it!!!

(if you own an island and drive a Ferrari)

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's worth it!!!

(if you own an island and drive a Ferrari)

I DID mash up the phone! The phone also mashed up my credit....but that's another story.... :help:

Peace,

-Ed

Timeline

Right now I pay about $.10 a minute to call JA. But its a calling card and each card is only good for 30mins each. So its annoying at times cause we are chatty and like to talk for hours, so having an interruption every 30 mins sucks. but it does keep my bill down. Plus hubby has 2 JA phones now...one C&W and one Digicell and signs up for those special international plans. Its been working good for us.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

People, CVS pharmacy are doing a buy one get one free on Sprint International phonecards....Well worth stocking up!!

I use them for both Jamaica and England...

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.