elmcitymaven

Holy Cow -- a year!

45 posts in this topic

Possibly - although I flew into LAX and get a grilling by Immigration each time - sniffer dog lady didn't seem to care about the cheese or dried dates though so!! Very odd... ah well - maybe you can talk someone else into bringing cheese with them or pick some up when you're back in the UK - worst they can do is confiscate it :lol:

I think what has been helpful with the July bunch is that there are so many of us - it has made life so much better - we can all find out answers to questions and help each other out with things we don't understand without just being given a link to a guide :unsure:. We can ask newbie questions without repercussions or being treated like we are igorant and it is generally brilliant :D I've even set up our own little thread in the Moving to America forum so we can keep in touch :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I think what has been helpful with the July bunch is that there are so many of us - it has made life so much better - we can all find out answers to questions and help each other out with things we don't understand without just being given a link to a guide :unsure: . We can ask newbie questions without repercussions or being treated like we are igorant and it is generally brilliant :D I've even set up our own little thread in the Moving to America forum so we can keep in touch :D

I saw that thread and was jealous. :lol: But I agree about the group thread and helping each other out. I was just thrown to the wolves. :lol:

iagree.gif

Ouch - that canj't have been good!! I must say I do like the social side of this site and I am glad for the large July group!!!

Even if it did mean my NOA2 took 150 days or so :whistle:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I think what has been helpful with the July bunch is that there are so many of us - it has made life so much better - we can all find out answers to questions and help each other out with things we don't understand without just being given a link to a guide :unsure: . We can ask newbie questions without repercussions or being treated like we are igorant and it is generally brilliant :D I've even set up our own little thread in the Moving to America forum so we can keep in touch :D

I saw that thread and was jealous. :lol: But I agree about the group thread and helping each other out. I was just thrown to the wolves. :lol:

I must agree with Aly - the July filers thread rules!! I love my July buddies! :luv:

Krikit, there are definitley some wolves here on VJ, and even some wolves in sheep's clothing! But there are also some really good people here, so I stick around! Kinda like your custom title! I love your Vini, Vidi, Velcro! It always makes me laugh!

Regarding food items, I always bring back some Branston Pickle. I love that stuff!

Oh yeah!! And decent vinegar for your chips :lol: Vegetable stock cubes were always a bit of a challenge to find as well...

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

I re-christen this thread: General UK VJ Chit-Chat! :P

And in that vein, ugh! They are actually making me work today at this here job! Don't they know I come to work to go on VJ?!?!?!!?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

And in that vein, ugh! They are actually making me work today at this here job! Don't they know I come to work to go on VJ?!?!?!!?

:lol::thumbs: me too :whistle: I have so much real work to get through today and tomorrow as I'm on holiday begfinning Friday! Can't stay away from this place. I think its a sickness!!! :unsure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:lol::thumbs: me too :whistle: I have so much real work to get through today and tomorrow as I'm on holiday begfinning Friday! Can't stay away from this place. I think its a sickness!!! :unsure:

:lol::rolleyes: This site is an addiction. As I have yet to find a local group of VJ Anonymous, I have to keep coming here :wacko:

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Speaking of work, how did everyone break the news to their employers that they were emigrating?

I work for a very small (7 employees) company and we're all pretty friendly with one another, but I've been hesitant in bringing up the prospect of moving abroad. I'm sure my boss won't mind (his daughter is in California and he teases me about visiting the US a lot) but I was going to wait until I had a firmer idea of when I shall be moving.

Also: The only food requests I get from Alex's family are Jaffa Cakes - and lots of 'em! I have, in fact, sent out over 15 Jaffa Cake parcels to various people in the US. Everything else I may miss I've either managed to find in a store/British food store or have found a good equivalent for, but there's nothing to match Jaffa Cakes.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Speaking of work, how did everyone break the news to their employers that they were emigrating?

I work for a very small (7 employees) company and we're all pretty friendly with one another, but I've been hesitant in bringing up the prospect of moving abroad. I'm sure my boss won't mind (his daughter is in California and he teases me about visiting the US a lot) but I was going to wait until I had a firmer idea of when I shall be moving.

Also: The only food requests I get from Alex's family are Jaffa Cakes - and lots of 'em! I have, in fact, sent out over 15 Jaffa Cake parcels to various people in the US. Everything else I may miss I've either managed to find in a store/British food store or have found a good equivalent for, but there's nothing to match Jaffa Cakes.

Work wont be a problem for me, I ran my own business.

Jaffa cakes however will be a problem, when Randy came here in September he got hooked on Jaffa cakes. He took some back with him and I sent some over at Christmas. I can see me moving there with one suitcase full of clothes and the other full of Jaffa cakes :lol:

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Jaffa cakes however will be a problem, when Randy came here in September he got hooked on Jaffa cakes. He took some back with him and I sent some over at Christmas. I can see me moving there with one suitcase full of clothes and the other full of Jaffa cakes :lol:

:lol: I did almost exactly that over Christmas - I only had one suitcase, but half of the space was occupied by 8 packets of Jaffa Cakes!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

I started talking about leaving about 18 months before I actually did -- to everyone but my direct boss. Even the chief exec knew! I just couldn't bring myself to tell him, because I am so fond of him and I knew what a blow it would be to him as we were a department of two people. And it just got harder and harder... and then I called him into a meeting the day before I was due to go off on a business trip to Washington. I told him we had applied for a visa, and that the first forms hadn't been approved yet, so we didn't even know if I would be quitting as my husband might not get the visa.

My boss was really, really sad, but said he always knew there would be a risk that I might someday want to go back to America, particularly as the more fun stuff in my field is happening over here right now. He accepted my informal resignation, contingent on the visa being granted. That was 5 months before I actually left, as I waited to give my 2 months' notice until we had an approval at the Embassy. I had two (!) going-away parties at work, which were both awesome.

Telling my boss and my ex-husband that I was leaving the UK were two of the hardest conversations I have ever had to have. I felt, in a small way, that I was letting them both down. Silly, huh? I knew I had to get on with my life but I still felt that they both needed me. And yes, they both still email me and call me to ask stupid questions only I know the answer to, but they're both fully capable of living without me. Funny, that. ;)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I know exactly what you mean about letting them down - I don't have an ex-husband but it was hard abandoning work for three weeks over Christmas. It's sweet that they still both e-mail you! It's a real compliment.

Thank you for sharing. Five months' informal notice sounds about right; plenty of warning, but not so far off that they'll forget about it!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Filed: Timeline

I gave a month's notice, per the terms of my employment. They didn't even know I was engaged, let alone had intentions of emigrating. That's because a) it's none of their business and B) I didn't want to have to constantly respond to questions about who he was; where he was from; how did we meet; who'd be moving where; how was my visa coming along; why do I need a visa; doesn't that mean I'll automatically become a US citizen; why do you want to do this; are you out of your mind. I save stuff like that for discussions with my friends and keep my business relationships all about business. It came as a huge shock to them.

I gave a month's notice, per the terms of my employment. They didn't even know I was engaged, let alone had intentions of emigrating. That's because a) it's none of their business and B) I didn't want to have to constantly respond to questions about who he was; where he was from; how did we meet; who'd be moving where; how was my visa coming along; why do I need a visa; doesn't that mean I'll automatically become a US citizen; why do you want to do this; are you out of your mind. I save stuff like that for discussions with my friends and keep my business relationships all about business. It came as a huge shock to them.

Hey! I just discovered that the characters b & ) put together makes this B)!

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.