Tunisia216

Embassy in Tunis (Tunisia)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I was just curious as I have not found many members here who are married to someone immigrating from Tunisia.....

If any of you are out there, please speak up!! What kind of wait times did you have with the Embassy in Tunis?

I've heard good and bad things and I'm just trying to figure out what Jihed and I can expect.

When the papers are sent out to the embassy in Tunis from NVC - about how long does it take before Jihed will get contact from them? How long until he'll get an interview date??

And on the day of the interview- can he expect to receive his visa that day? His friend Hassan processed last year and is in New York with his wife now - and on the day of his interview they told him he was approved and to leave his passport and come pick it up in 24 hours.. Is that what we should expect?? That was before a lot of the law and USCIS/NVC changes took place....

I know others processing in other countries are being asked to wait anywhere from one week to 3 months depending on the country - but again I have no current experience or information about Tunisia.....

Please help if you know anything :)) We'd be so greatful (Can you tell we're nervous? LOL )

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline

My husband was processed through Tunis but he's not Tunisian. You have to stay on them to make sure they get what you send them and send out what you need but other than that the staff was really friendly (although the interviewer did ask my husband some strange questions about my religion but whatever) and the process went smoothly and quickly.

After the interview, they put my husband on AP for one month and then issued the visa.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Thank you for the advice!! But what is AP?? I'm not sure what you meant by that. So far our experience with the embassy in Tunis was great- when we went there in June 2007 to take the affadavit to marry they were super friendly, the place was empty and they worked very fast -w e met the consular then, he's American and Jihed was just shocked how fluent and well the man spoke Arabic and they laughed about dialects of Tunisia... He told us congratulations and that we were cute and hoped to see us soon - I hope that's a good sign.. inshallah it is... but then again who knows if that guy is even still there or if someone else is... hehe..... Thank you again!!

My husband was processed through Tunis but he's not Tunisian. You have to stay on them to make sure they get what you send them and send out what you need but other than that the staff was really friendly (although the interviewer did ask my husband some strange questions about my religion but whatever) and the process went smoothly and quickly.

After the interview, they put my husband on AP for one month and then issued the visa.

Timeline
Thank you for the advice!! But what is AP?? I'm not sure what you meant by that.

AP is Administrative Processing, a fancy name for background and name checks as far as I know. Some people get stuck in that for a while but my husband was only on it for one month and then he got his visa.

Good luck! (F)

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Thanks again!!! And thank you for the good luck :) Can always use that!

How long has your husband been in the states with you?

I'm hoping that AP won't take long for Jihed.. he's such a good boy lol and we already got a translated copy of his 'police record 'in Tunisia - which is just what they call "Bulletin N 3 " and it's blank and states no judicial action was ever taken against him.. I'm just hoping being named Jihed isn't going to cause any problems hehehe :) Have a great day!

fi amen allah

Thank you for the advice!! But what is AP?? I'm not sure what you meant by that.

AP is Administrative Processing, a fancy name for background and name checks as far as I know. Some people get stuck in that for a while but my husband was only on it for one month and then he got his visa.

Good luck! (F)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

GOOOODDDDDD LUCK HONEY ;)

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

RFE's received--7/12/2008

Resubmitted information--8/11/2008

EAD Card production ordered--10/2/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

Work card received in mail--10/11/2008

Applied for SSN--10/15/2008

.png

Timeline

I'm hoping that AP won't take long for Jihed.. he's such a good boy lol and we already got a translated copy of his 'police record 'in Tunisia - which is just what they call "Bulletin N 3 " and it's blank and states no judicial action was ever taken against him.. I'm just hoping being named Jihed isn't going to cause any problems hehehe :) Have a great day!

fi amen allah

He got here in April and got his GC in Oct but it took us a while to apply and then we got held up trying to get another medical exam so it shouldn't have taken that long for AOS.

They let Usamas in and my husband came from a country that was on the US's ####### list for 30 years so I wouldn't worry too much about your husband's name lol

It's good for him to be prepared like that, it will save a lot of time and problems in the long run.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Okay you're right loool - I remember reading about how it's hard for an American to even visit Libya - but I assume you went there to see him? How was it - it's ashame because I know there are so many beautiful places in that country and would be nice to be able to visit it - too easy for countries to get on the american ####### list anyway lol

Yeah Jihed and I joke about his name and he's asked me before if he should just go by Joe here lol - I'm like noooo habiby you will go by your name, we'll deal with people who are stupid later :) hehe

I am so glad to hear that he is here with you now and that things were all okay for you guys!! I'm going to be so happy when I can say this is all behind us too!!

fi amen allah

He got here in April and got his GC in Oct but it took us a while to apply and then we got held up trying to get another medical exam so it shouldn't have taken that long for AOS.

They let Usamas in and my husband came from a country that was on the US's ####### list for 30 years so I wouldn't worry too much about your husband's name lol

It's good for him to be prepared like that, it will save a lot of time and problems in the long run.

Timeline
Okay you're right loool - I remember reading about how it's hard for an American to even visit Libya - but I assume you went there to see him? How was it - it's ashame because I know there are so many beautiful places in that country and would be nice to be able to visit it - too easy for countries to get on the american ####### list anyway lol

Yeah Jihed and I joke about his name and he's asked me before if he should just go by Joe here lol - I'm like noooo habiby you will go by your name, we'll deal with people who are stupid later :) hehe

I am so glad to hear that he is here with you now and that things were all okay for you guys!! I'm going to be so happy when I can say this is all behind us too!!

No, I haven't been to Libya and it's still hard for Americans to visit there. You have to be part of a tour group to get a visa and there is still no embassy.

I have heard from another woman married to a Libyan that it's much easier for the spouse of a Libyan to get a visa and I hope to visit soon inshallah.

I wouldn't count on him going by his name here :lol: my husband's name is Yousuf and people act like it's the hardest name in the world to say.... his boss at work can't quite get it so he's resorted to calling him Joseph, since he figured out that's what Yousuf is in English, and now his name at work is Joe! I told him to call them by their names in Arabic to get back at them but he says their names don't translate.... I told him to give them all vulgar names and call them that but he declined :P

I'm sure you will be reunited soon and you'll find yourself laughing at how much trouble this whole thing was inshallah.

Edited by Alhamdulillah

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

only ONE person out of the hundreds of people my husband has met since he arrived in july has been able to say his name correctly after reading it/hearing it. ONE. it was a receptionist at a doctor's office. and we were completely shocked when they actually said it right! :bonk:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
only ONE person out of the hundreds of people my husband has met since he arrived in july has been able to say his name correctly after reading it/hearing it. ONE. it was a receptionist at a doctor's office. and we were completely shocked when they actually said it right! :bonk:

LOL I can't say my husband's name right :lol: It has one of those hard "h"'s on the end and it means something else when I say it. Nothing vulgar, but he still things it's funny. I haven't consistently gotten it right in two years :blush:

Edited by polarbear

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

so just curious...what is his name??? i wanna try...hehe

ps...i love you too ash.....boussa sista....

Edited by jade2004

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

RFE's received--7/12/2008

Resubmitted information--8/11/2008

EAD Card production ordered--10/2/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

Work card received in mail--10/11/2008

Applied for SSN--10/15/2008

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
I was just curious as I have not found many members here who are married to someone immigrating from Tunisia.....

If any of you are out there, please speak up!! What kind of wait times did you have with the Embassy in Tunis?

I've heard good and bad things and I'm just trying to figure out what Jihed and I can expect.

When the papers are sent out to the embassy in Tunis from NVC - about how long does it take before Jihed will get contact from them? How long until he'll get an interview date??

And on the day of the interview- can he expect to receive his visa that day? His friend Hassan processed last year and is in New York with his wife now - and on the day of his interview they told him he was approved and to leave his passport and come pick it up in 24 hours.. Is that what we should expect?? That was before a lot of the law and USCIS/NVC changes took place....

I know others processing in other countries are being asked to wait anywhere from one week to 3 months depending on the country - but again I have no current experience or information about Tunisia.....

Please help if you know anything :)) We'd be so greatful (Can you tell we're nervous? LOL )

my husband is from Tunisia and he didnt have a bad experience there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.