Teacher Mark

Why Do I Not Trust The U.S. Postal Service With My Passport?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am assuming everyone else has done this before. How long did it take for the Visa to be processed by the Vietnamese Embassy? I know their website says about a week. Did this hold true?

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have used the USPS to mail my passport to a visa service 3 times now and never had a problem. I always used priority mail with tracking to confirm delivery.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The two trips I've taken this year to Vietnam, I have sent my passport to the San Francisco Consulate. I sent it USPS Express mail. One busines day to get there, one busines day for processing and one busines day back. It's also $45 for a 30 day tourist visa from them. The Vietnam Embassy in Washington said it would be longer and more expensive so I sent it to SF instead.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Timeline
The two trips I've taken this year to Vietnam, I have sent my passport to the San Francisco Consulate. I sent it USPS Express mail. One busines day to get there, one busines day for processing and one busines day back. It's also $45 for a 30 day tourist visa from them. The Vietnam Embassy in Washington said it would be longer and more expensive so I sent it to SF instead.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Thanks for the advice! The one thing that got me about this part of the process is trying to find out the current fee. I finally reached someone who told me it was $65.00. I just said O.K. and sent it out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Unless you live in the woods, most of the metropolitant areas have Asian Travel Agent who can get you Visa to VN by obtaining a good clear scanned copy of your US Passport information page, a scanned of your Passport size Photo, email to the agent. Done deal! Visa will be issued when you come in and pick up the Ticket or mail to you with your tickets.

Sending passport to the consulate/embassy is "old school"! I am with you on not-trusting ANYONE with my passport. People may question "how can the travel agency be able to 'issue' Visa to you?", no they don't, travel agency apply sign up with the Consulate for pre-approved Visa form, all they need is to match up the ID/Passport with the name, write the name on the PINK visa form, glue the passport photo on it, and there you go, your brand spanking new VISA to VN. $30!

Question I had before, how do they know if people don't make fake Visa to VN? The question here is, what will happen to you if you try to enter VN with a fake Visa? :) Thinking of 100 ways VC can make you suffer... for starter, lock you up for a few days/weeks without "1-Phone-Call" to your lawyer/US-Consulate? Then kick you out, banned you forever to return to VN? Or they can say: Visa is invalid, turn around and head home!

So back to the original question, I trust USPS not with all my heart thou! Nobody complains that they lost their passport before, at least on VN-HCMC Board!

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Timeline
Unless you live in the woods, most of the metropolitant areas have Asian Travel Agent who can get you Visa to VN by obtaining a good clear scanned copy of your US Passport information page, a scanned of your Passport size Photo, email to the agent. Done deal! Visa will be issued when you come in and pick up the Ticket or mail to you with your tickets.

Sending passport to the consulate/embassy is "old school"! I am with you on not-trusting ANYONE with my passport. People may question "how can the travel agency be able to 'issue' Visa to you?", no they don't, travel agency apply sign up with the Consulate for pre-approved Visa form, all they need is to match up the ID/Passport with the name, write the name on the PINK visa form, glue the passport photo on it, and there you go, your brand spanking new VISA to VN. $30!

Question I had before, how do they know if people don't make fake Visa to VN? The question here is, what will happen to you if you try to enter VN with a fake Visa? :) Thinking of 100 ways VC can make you suffer... for starter, lock you up for a few days/weeks without "1-Phone-Call" to your lawyer/US-Consulate? Then kick you out, banned you forever to return to VN? Or they can say: Visa is invalid, turn around and head home!

So back to the original question, I trust USPS not with all my heart thou! Nobody complains that they lost their passport before, at least on VN-HCMC Board!

Can't you see by my picture that I do live in the woods?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.