Melrose Plant

How many people have sent money to Vietnam?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I mean no offense to anyone on this forum. I am so curious about many things, though. My sweetie makes a good living in Hanoi. She is an advertising executive there. I have never sent her any money. It is not necessary. I think she would be offended if I did so. She has nicer stuff than I do, even though of course I make a lot more money in absolute terms than she does.

But I know most people in VN are not well-off. I am curious. How many of you have sent money to your sweetie? Is it a lot of money? Do you think USCIS or the Consulate will take that into consideration? I believe love knows no boundaries, rich or poor. I am only curious.

I mean no offense to anyone on this forum. I am so curious about many things, though. My sweetie makes a good living in Hanoi. She is an advertising executive there. I have never sent her any money. It is not necessary. I think she would be offended if I did so. She has nicer stuff than I do, even though of course I make a lot more money in absolute terms than she does.

But I know most people in VN are not well-off. I am curious. How many of you have sent money to your sweetie? Is it a lot of money? Do you think USCIS or the Consulate will take that into consideration? I believe love knows no boundaries, rich or poor. I am only curious.

I sent money to my sweetheart when she was living in Vietnam. It averaged about $50-$75 per month. I have seen some American SO's send considerably more, so I guess it depends on need or what you feed comfortable sending. Receipts for money you send can be used at your fiancee's interview as proof of an ongoing relationship. To the extent at how much money sent raises the eyebrows of the CO's, I have no idea. Maybe it doesn't matter. I would think that the fact that your fiancee has no need of your financial support in Vietnam would be a plus in your corner.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In order to make it easy for her to chat and email, I sent her money to buy a computer and set up DSL ($600) so she could do so from home and not a internet store. That was about 3 months after we started to email each other. It was taking her about 3 days to go to the internet store, print out the email, translate the email, answer it and translate it into English then go to the internet store to send her reply when we first started. I have been sending money for Thi to take English classes. She is also spending most of her time now chatting with me (3 or 4 hours a day), studying English and preparing for the interviw so she isn't making much money as a tailor. It probably averages to about $75 month inlcluding school.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Timeline

My wife also did tailor work in VN and I eased the cost of internet, lost opportunity for work & additional nutrition. It was not substantial nor did I want it to bethought of as a basis for a relationship. PeterFB example may be useful only in their situation. I do know of another VJ member who despite doing as PeterFB did was delayed at least 18 months. Dont worry about the money any more, but the relationship.

I send money for Thao's cell phone and English classes thru Western Union. I used be able to do it on-line, which made it easy, but due to fraud issues, I now have to go to the bank and use the western union phone they have there. Average around $100 a month.

06-29-09 received GC in mail

4-18-11 mailed I-751 CSC

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-04-18

NOA Date Received : 2011-06-06

Date on NOA: 2011-04-22

Bio. Appt. : 2011-06-24

Had to make an Info Pass appointment because there was a delay in receiving the NOA for our I-751. Never found out the reason for the delay but they gave Thao a 1 year green card stamp in her passport and we got a the NOA 2 days later.

Approved: 2011-09-23

Notice sent: 2011-09-28

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I send money for Thao's cell phone and English classes thru Western Union. I used be able to do it on-line, which made it easy, but due to fraud issues, I now have to go to the bank and use the western union phone they have there. Average around $100 a month.

Dave,

On 152 in Brooklyn Park/Center there's a money transfer service for VN. They also have Phone cards. Its called ABC. There is also one across the street from Quangs on Nicollet in Minneapolis.

ABC Money Transaction Inc

6350 Brooklyn Blvd

Minneapolis, MN 55429

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

I send money to my 'babe' $200 a month. It has been almost for a year...I'm still waiting for my "The One" come here.

Second K1: I-129F Timeline

--------------------

Sept 15, 2007: I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 24, 2007: NOA1 hard copy received

Jan 25, 2008: Approved

Feb 01, 2008: NOA2 hard copy received

April 24, 20008: Interviewed

May 06, 2008: Received Visa

May 11, 2008: Entry to US "Chicago"

May 15, 2008: Registered Marriage's license

Sept 19, 2008: Received Green Card w/o interview

=========================

***Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

June 19,2010 - I751 Package sent to VSC

June 28,2010 - Received NOA1

July 07, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 09, 2010 - Approved w/o Interview

August 19, 2010 - 10 Year Green Card Received

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feb 2012 - Received U.S Citizenship

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yep, sure have! Obviously this is a personal choice and several factors led me to believe that this was the proper thing to do in our case. What powers that be may think of this really didn't factor into my decision. If she had been able to enjoy the same comfort level that I enjoy then I would not have offered assistance (which is what I did, she has never asked for a penny). If this action were to delay the processing of the visa, then it is something we would have to deal with. I would rather wait a little longer than have her struggle.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The answer to you OP's questions: Hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese send money to VN for loved ones. Especially during the Tet's celebration!

VJ people sending cash home for the wife/fiance? All the times, why not, every relationship has a price, some less expensive, some are more!

Must agree with Andrew, focusing on the relationship, building it, making it stronger for the right reason (i.e. you're about to marry this girl, not too worry about HCMC, regardless of what they say, your love for her is real, isn't it?) The side affect and added benefit of a real relationship is it built on solid mountain of evidence that so easily to see by anyone, including the CO.

Hint, sending flower, sending gift, sending notes, sending handwriten more than random emails, sending "just because" cards, sending money just for fun, not making it seems like "I am paying this girl for love". Keep in mind, CO lives and works in Saigon more than anyone here on VJ, so they understand and know exactly what's the cost of living there! Don't ever underestimate their ability to jugde and spot a lie!

Good luck with your Journey and enjoy every moment of it.

Chuck and Kim

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I have sent my fiancee money in the past.

There is a Local Vietnamese market that I go to that will deliver the money to her house. It is the cheapest way I have found to send money to her. For every $100 dollars you send, they charge a $3 fee.

She usually gets it in 2 days or less.

Over the past year I have sent her money to buy a computer, pay for english classes, and pay for DSL. I also bought her a motorbike.

I just returned from VN. I was there for 38 AMAZING days (PAID VACATION) and we got engaged.

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.